Trying to recover a crew pod that is stuck in orbit around Kerbin

Raiku_

Hello everyone.

I'm currently in a rather awkward situation after putting my first spacecraft into an orbit around Kerbin. Since i did have a crew pod along with the spacecraft that was to be deployed in said orbit, i'm now in the undesireable situation of having 3 Kerbals stuck aboard a crew pod in that same orbit. I know i made a huge mistake (but realized it too late). The mistake being the fact, that i've forgotten to add any engines to the crew pod mentioned earlier that would've enabled me to de-orbit that pod.  So i've found myself with a crew pod that i'm not able to get back to kerbin.  Any recovery craft i've built so far have faile by either flawed structural integrity or by simply falling short of the desired orbit and encounter point.

If anyone has any kind of solution to this problem, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: the capsule in question is just a capsule with an inflatable heat shield (which is deployed). Also, the orbit it is in (just like the spacecraft that was to be deployed) is elyptical with its apoapsis further away from Kerbin than the periapsis.

Here's an image of the Orbit the pod is stuck on

(yes, the 2nd orbit is the one, my recovery crew recently got stuck on)

Edited by Raiku_
Providing additional information

I think we've all found ourselves in a situation like this.  Either no engines or no fuel.

One thing you can do, if you have the ability to go on an EVA, is use the Get Out And Push procedure.  Have a kerbal go on EVA, and use their jetpack to push the capsule retrograde until you get your PE under 70km.  EVA propellant is effectively infinite, as it is refilled when you get in the pod.  Just don't let the kerbal run out while you're out there!  I usually push until the kerbal is down to one unit left (out of 5, IIRC), then get in the pod and back out again to refill the jetpack.

Anything under 70km will eventually bring you back down, but the lower you get it, the faster you'll deorbit.  Pushing will be most effective at your AP.

8 minutes ago, Raiku_ said:

Any recovery craft i've built so far have faile by either flawed structural integrity or by simply falling short of the desired orbit and encounter point.

If you need to know how to rendezvous two craft in orbit, here's a very helpful guide on that topic:

Welcome to the forums - and to the learning curve of KSP! :D

If you haven't mastered rendezvous , yet, the GOAP method is your only bet but, beware that the smaller your craft the harder it'll be to maintain directional control.

If would be nice if the Kerbals could jet whilst gripping the capsule - perhaps by the husk!

You're about to become a master at EVA.

Be patient.

Further to what others have said, the best time to deploy Get Out And PushTM  is at apoapsis as this will a) maximise the effect that the limited thrust of EVA jetpacks has on your orbital trajectory since orbital velocity is lowest at apoapsis, and b) push your periapsis towards the surface so you can get home. Remember to leave enough fuel in your EVA packs to get back into the capsule again, pushing a Kerbal with another Kerbal is a whole lot more difficult than pushing a pod!

28 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Further to what others have said, the best time to deploy Get Out And PushTM  is at apoapsis as this will a) maximise the effect that the limited thrust of EVA jetpacks has on your orbital trajectory since orbital velocity is lowest at apoapsis, and b) push your periapsis towards the surface so you can get home. Remember to leave enough fuel in your EVA packs to get back into the capsule again, pushing a Kerbal with another Kerbal is a whole lot more difficult than pushing a pod!

Additionally, monitor your GOAP periapsis lowering progress in relation to your jetpack fuel.  You may need to board the module to refuel the jetpack and GOAP again (lather, rinse, repeat).  Learned the hard way, lol

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.