Show off your awesome KSP pictures!

NuclearWarfare

Everyone welcome, my latest and greatest achievement, a near-perfect Soyuz replica in KSP, the Yoonyte-I. (Pronounced Unite One)

This is not just any Soyuz replica, this is a Soyuz rocket that uses NO MODDED PARTS. That's right! It is 100% entirely stock. I set a goal for myself, and I kept it. Here were the absolute musts of my project:

-Make it LOOK like a Soyuz-type rocket and orbital vehicle.

-Must be 100% Stock.

-Make it PERFORM like a Soyuz rocket, as in, the orbital vehicle can't just be for show, and the launch profile is sequentially identical or very similar.

-Orbital module, descent module, service module. All three. And the two manned modules MUST be able to hold 3 Kerbals, as per the real thing.

-Has to actually make a stable orbit, and has to be theoretically usable if I wanted to use it in the game for some other reason.

-Has to BASICALLY have the same engine arrangement, or close to it. (I didn't do this one perfectly, but the spirit of it was more to have liquid stuff where there's supposed to be liquid stuff, and have solid where there's supposed to be solid.)

-No structural failures, has to operate soundly.

-I want my brace decouplers, so I had to make them myself.

Things that I did NOT care about:

-Leaving debris in orbit.

-Minimalistic build/low part count. (This thing is actually 345 parts. There are a LOT of struts hidden in places you don't see well.)

Here are my results...

Look like a Soyuz? Check:

zYyClFO.jpg

(SRV stands for Standard Rendezvous Vehicle.)

Very check:

LeMsz3v.png

Similar ascent profile? Check:

0B4JXt9.png

Decoupling the core stage from the main orbital attainment stage:

ZhDgTcb.png

Aaand deploying the Yoonyte-I into MKO (Medium Kerbin Orbit, yes that's a technical term.):

S1nVV4Q.png

uofESiZ.jpg

Graphical shot, this is now my desktop background. See how much it looks like an actual Soyuz?:

V2N9exV.jpg

Re-entering the atmosphere VERY shallowly. Original Perikee was 54Km. Did it in one pass, though. This is the most intense the flames got:

qDHDbqQ.png

Chutes out over land:

vHJcE3r.png

Retrofiring the small liquid engines (Radial orange engines, powered by a single Toroidial tank) to aid in a softer landing, just like the real capsule.

jScdj3j.png

Final touchdown speed was 2.0m/s before impact.

And the crew steps outside the capsule after a successful mission:

pfigZEe.png

This mission performed 500% better than I ever expected. It was very complex to build, like all of my designs. Unlike all of my other designs, it didn't fail miserably upon physics-enable. I couldn't believe it when I touched down and looked at the mission log and there were no structural failures, simply exhaust damage from separation staging. I'm so proud of myself for making a decent looking Soyuz-type space capsule. Though, I did cheat a bit on the core stages, as I stuck a few more rockets on there than would normally be. But I think it's excusable. ;) Also, my rocket/orbital vehicle are slightly fatter and more squat than the real-life thing, but that's almost expected in KSP. Also also, I think mine's slightly bigger, if we theoretically thought of Kerbals as human-sized, to scale, than the normal Soyuz. But seriously, this thing has a TON of Delta-V. The main orbital stage had like 80-90% fuel left in it after I attained a stable 150ish KM circularish orbit.

All in all, the Yoonyte-I was a VERY successful test mission so far.

inb4 craft file requests...

/ego

Edited by M5000

971290_458202984265700_647028058_n.jpg

This happened when I was building an insane rocket to go to the north pole. I accidentally picked up the lifter, and when I tried to put it back on, this occured. I thought it looked cool so I put unbreakable parts and no crash damage on and went to town. 875 parts, and a whole lot of lag later, this picture was taken.

Getting bored with my two ongoing scenarios (Touring the worlds in airships, and setting up colonies around the outer planets), I decided to have a go at building an interesting, though totally useless ship. I was originally shooting for something Firefly like, but upon realizing that I really should be working in the spaceplane hangar, took some inspiration from Star Trek, and went with this thing.

It's impossible to fly, took HyperEdit to get into space, and even with RCS, is totally uncontrollable. But hey, it looks cool!

6ykYoGs.png

My third manned mission to Duna. Next time, somewhere else... unless I decide to actually rescue these guys. Or more likely, plant a habitat next to 'em.

Emu5FullShipDecelerating.jpg

The full ship, three pieces assembled in orbit. On a deceleration burn.

Emu5DunaRoverEnRoute.jpg

The rover section, en route to the already landed Kethane mining lander.

Emu5DunaCrewOnGround.jpg

Everything that made it to the ground.

It's not obvious, but the rover is badly damaged. It lost two of four solar panels, and more importantly, one engine pod, in a physical time warp mishap. As I dropped from 2x back to 1x speed while otherwise driving steadily, they just blew up. It also blew one wheel out on landing, but it was driving ok other than pulling to the left a little. With the loss of the engine, it's never taking off again. It's just as well, it barely had a 1.0 TWR when it was full of fuel, getting back to orbit would've been a pain.

The mining rig is just fine though. It and the command module should have no problems getting home, or elsewhere. It's the three Kerbals I'm going to have to strand that are the issue.

Edit: P.S. I learned JUST NOW after posting this, reading elsewhere in this thread, that Kerbals can repair wheels. That would've helped very slightly, but it won't bring back my engine pod.

Edited by Ogre

Everyone welcome, my latest and greatest achievement, a near-perfect Soyuz replica in KSP, the Yoonyte-I. (Pronounced Unite One)

This is not just any Soyuz replica, this is a Soyuz rocket that uses NO MODDED PARTS. That's right! It is 100% entirely stock. I set a goal for myself, and I kept it...

Very nice stock-scale look-a-like/work-a-like Soyuz.

Here is my New Moon Station :D I named It Esprit :D (its in a 3km Orbit And Will Be serving as an outpost for my Kethane Base)

The Booster Stage Saying Goodbye (will be Crashed into Mun's Surface..)

Keenan.

3 km is lower than most of Mun's mountains... is that really a good idea?

Here is my New Moon Station :D I named It Esprit :D (its in a 3km Orbit And Will Be serving as an outpost for my Kethane Base)

Keenan.

That's going to be horrible to rendezvous with from the ground; if it's slightly ahead of you then you have no chance of entering a lower orbit to catch it up. :P

TtRAIEn.png

First 'serious' save rendezvous (I've rendezvoused (is that really a word) a hundred times before, but it always feels new when I do it in a new save). It was very serene, except that I discovered by shuttle had nowhere near enough wing surface and thus collided with the ground at 50m/s when coming back home. Milger survived though... the test shuttle didn't.

Finally made a decent sized shuttle, and orbiter that returns to KSC by gliding. The only problem is I have to put it in orbit with two 3.75m Rockets on either side, jettison them as I coast to my apoapsis, then use the Orbiter's engine to put me in LKO, and de-orbit when finished. Sorry for the lack of Anti-Aliasing, I dropped it to 2x in-game and was forcing FXAA through my video card, which doesn't show in the screenshots

A look down into the cargo bay and the first module of a station. You can also see just behind the top RCS thruster near the front, an attach node. This is for a docking clamp that I had removed for this flight, since the module is a bit long

D8EACC59489E0A502B36D82C9AF7F016D19BA8E2

Using the Boom to lift this thing out of the cargo bay. Given how heavy it is, it was a slow process. Bill Kermin in the shot gives a good size reference

55C11D84270B3B715B308F9A1B42BCA2C1779A8D

Using Mechjeb's 'AutoLand' for the predictions makes for extremely accurate de-orbiting. Turn Retrograde, burn until the predicted landing point is 13km West of KSC, turn Prograde and enjoy the ride in. I take over flying myself at about 15km in Altitude

D65F707FDCA31C5FD679CD02DB24ABFB3D5DFDA9

Safely back on the ground. The engines last used to De-orbit the craft, Jeb and Bob bask in the satisfation of re-creating what NASA did every shuttle flight, a 'Dead Stick Landing'

66F6D380C05EC386BCDAD3EA67629EFF40E8E656

Edited by Sabor

3 km is lower than most of Mun's mountains... is that really a good idea?

yup :D this is in a 3 Degree Inclination orbit meaning it misses the Highest mountans :D Closest Approach to the Surface in orbit is around 900m-1200m

For Rendezvous i have to launch the moment i see the pink marker on the horizon (into a 4km orbit) and then Hohmann Transfer to the Station :D Nice and Efficient :D I'll See if i can Demonstrate it with a video and/or ScreenShot's (im adding the Kethane Lander now :D)

yup :D this is in a 3 Degree Inclination orbit meaning it misses the Highest mountans :D Closest Approach to the Surface in orbit is around 900m-1200m

For Rendezvous i have to launch the moment i see the pink marker on the horizon (into a 4km orbit) and then Hohmann Transfer to the Station :D Nice and Efficient :D I'll See if i can Demonstrate it with a video and/or ScreenShot's (im adding the Kethane Lander now :D)

And the kraken doesn't eat it? I can't keep anything in orbit that low without it mysteriously vanishing the next time I crank up the timewarp to meet a launch window.

Here's one. The Kassandra OFD finally assembled. Launched in 2 parts, has the B9 pack red lights around the docking ports so I can see what I'm doing if I end up docking at night. Used strut guns from the Quantum Struts pack to help get rid of any wobbly. I lined them up ahead of time in the VAB, but I'm still glad that they lined up as well as they did.

screenshot71_zps0b9dcbb7.png

Here's a shot with the heavy tug I used to get it off the ground. I put too many RCS ports on the arms, so when I tried maneuvering it into place, it handled like a drunken Gedd. Glad I put the RCS reserves in the Habitation module and could use it to dock. Otherwise things would have been bad.

screenshot70_zps64508e3f.png

And the kraken doesn't eat it? I can't keep anything in orbit that low without it mysteriously vanishing the next time I crank up the timewarp to meet a launch window.

Haha Lol :)

I Think that the Kraken Likes Me :sticktongue:

Until your orbit precesses and you intersect that mountain six months from now.

I highly doubt it, But ill keep an eye on my Ap & Pe along with my inclination

If i see any problems Arise I will fire up the Stations Engines (two of the mini-Radial mount engines)

or whatever is docked to the lower Docking port :)

K :)