[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

I have a problem with the mercury parachute.

I did a quick flight to 4km and all the way down the chute says cannot open reason too high

Another mod is likely the culprit. Please follow the Troubleshooting steps on the first page, it is tedious but it will quickly point out where the problem(S) is/are.

OH SH** THERE'S A BEAR!!!

Could you hand me that shotgun buddy...also that chair

(rep to fist that can name that song =P)

We're fighting a bear, your life is in danger, and you don't even care!!

Friendship-Tenacious D :P

Frizz, love the mod! Have you considered working on the X-15 and the like? Been reading The Right Stuff and the pilots out at Muroc ( now Edwards AFB) were convinced that was the real path to space.

Thank you for your exceptional work with thia!

Edited by Fizwalker

I have a problem with the mercury parachute.

I did a quick flight to 4km and all the way down the chute says cannot open reason too high

Like others have said, this an issue with another mod. In this case it is probably with RealChutes--given that's the mod that generates that message (FASA is primarily a parts mod and DOES NOT change game mechanics). Given you did not mention the version of KSP or the relevent mods you are using, help is going to be limited.

We're fighting a bear, your life is in danger, and you don't even care!!

Friendship-Tenacious D :P

Frizz, love the mod! Have you considered working on the X-15 and the like? Been reading The Right Stuff and the pilots out at Muroc ( now Edwards AFB) were convinced that was the real path to space.

Thank you for your exceptional work with thia!

I had considered it. If I did it would be a separate mod....

Now that 1.0 is out, I'm finally taking the opportunity to play with FASA in a "normal" game. Been having a ball with it so far but I noticed something that seems strange to me. So far I've come across three "Gemini ... Liquid Fueld Tanks". There's the "Short 2.5M", the "Small Silver" and the "Medium Silver". They all look basically the same (other then size) so I've been using them in combination with each other to make various Atlas and Centaur creations. But I noticed that while the "Small Silver" has half as much fuel as the "Medium Silver", the "Short 2.5m" actually has 57% as much fuel as the "Small Silver" but it's less then half the height. Was this intentional or is the "Short 2.5m" not supposed to be used along side the "... Silver" tanks?

Another thing I noticed. IRL, the original sustainer engine used on the Atlas SLV-3 rocket produced around 366kN of thrust while the booster produced around 1650kN. I know that in game the two chambers on the LR-89 booster have to be represented by two seperate engines so that's around 825kN / chamber. In other words, the sustainer engine produces about 44% thrust compared to each chamber on the booster. Now, I know the thrust in game isn't going to match the IRL thrust. That's fine. But why does the sustainer produce more thrust (293kN) then the boosters (125kN)? Shouldn't the "Mercury Atlas Rocket Booster Engine" really be producing somewhere around 665kN to keep a simialr ratio to the real life engines?

Another thing I noticed. IRL, the original sustainer engine used on the Atlas SLV-3 rocket produced around 366kN of thrust while the booster produced around 1650kN. I know that in game the two chambers on the LR-89 booster have to be represented by two seperate engines so that's around 825kN / chamber. In other words, the sustainer engine produces about 44% thrust compared to each chamber on the booster. Now, I know the thrust in game isn't going to match the IRL thrust. That's fine. But why does the sustainer produce more thrust (293kN) then the boosters (125kN)? Shouldn't the "Mercury Atlas Rocket Booster Engine" really be producing somewhere around 665kN to keep a simialr ratio to the real life engines?

I made my own CFG files for the LR-105 (Sustainer) and LR-89 (Booster Engines.) The Flight profile is more in line with the RW Atlas/Mercury but it is about 10x harder to fly given the lack of good feedback in KSP RE resources. You have to GUESSTIMATE how much fuel needs to be left to make orbit with the low thrust LR-105

I fail to orbit about one in five attempts with this config. The FASA CFGs are GREAT if you want to have fun playing around in space. Unless you want a true Simulation, I would stick with FASA defaults.

RE your last question, In my CFGs I actually set the Thrust and ISP up completely differently from how FASA is setup. Much closer to "Scaled Real Life" End result is similar (Mercury capsule in orbit of Kerbin at about 75-90K meters.) End result is also much harder requiring you to spend a lot more time finessing the controls (I often have to attach Fins to the Booster section to keep the thing flying correctishly.

Edited by Pappystein

Just the fact that you have considered that makes me excited. I mean I know you have had other ambitions. However IF you were to consider making a pack with 1950- Early 1960's spaceplanes, and possibly their lifting parents meaning a b-52 and b-29. Those are not necessary however because those planes can be cobbled together with various plane packs. If you did make those planes, it would be an EXTREMELY popular pack. Regardless of that it still would be very popular. Most space infrastructure is represented more or less in this game. One really glaring omission are pre space age infrastructure such as the x-1-x-15. So........long story short just the thought of you considering making something like that makes me really happy.

I fully admit that my parts are loosely based on reality with many artistic freedoms taken on them just to have a more game like appeal.

I am also fully supportive of RO modifications of my parts.

I know I would love a pack like that... What would our program be had we contunued past the X-15......?

In regards to this pack though, where do you see this going next? Maybe the Delta series? Tho maybe the moon rover would be apropriate next step.

Again, thank you for your hard work, much obliged. This has been a must on my mod list since I found it!

Possible bug report: Tried attaching the node attach legs to the LEM descent stage, but the nodes wouldn't attach. Possible leftover from .90 days? Need confirmation because I had other mods installed, and I'm a little whipped at the moment to install a fresh KSP (again) and test just FASA.

I did turn the LEM descent stage into a KIS container to hold the ASET rover (which the rover isn't quite working at the moment). If that's the issue, I'll hit it with a big hammer tomorrow.

Possible bug report: Tried attaching the node attach legs to the LEM descent stage, but the nodes wouldn't attach. Possible leftover from .90 days? Need confirmation because I had other mods installed, and I'm a little whipped at the moment to install a fresh KSP (again) and test just FASA.

I did turn the LEM descent stage into a KIS container to hold the ASET rover (which the rover isn't quite working at the moment). If that's the issue, I'll hit it with a big hammer tomorrow.

Same issue here...

... probably related to the "bottom node" problem we are dealing using pre-1.0 mods (... the Y value must changed from 1 to -1 somewhere... dunno if on the legs or on the node placement on the fuel tank)

I know FASA isn't an exact replica and in this setup I'm not actually looking for exact realism. I just found it odd that the LR-89 equivalent had less thrust then the LR-105. It makes it impossible to make later age Atlas rockets like the SLV-3A, SLV-3C and Atlas G/I because there isn't enough thrust available for the larger version. Also, you can't use the default Atlas Booster on the Thor.

I'm not sure if this is a problem with FASA or something else but it only seems to be happening with a fasa part. I'm using the umbilical tower for my launches but I'm noticing that during the launch, the tower seems to "reappear" a few times during the flight. Basically, as my initial launch stage, I ignite the engines and release the tower and clamps like you'd expect. During the flight, however, a duplicate tower will appear and fall away from the rocket. This happens a few times while getting to orbit. Normally it's not an issue but if I have to launch into a 180 degree orbit, there's the chance that the duplicated tower will impact the rocket and cause damage. Anyone else seen this and have any idea how to fix it?

I'm using the umbilical tower for my launches but I'm noticing that during the launch, the tower seems to "reappear" a few times during the flight.

Yea I dont know what this is or why its doing this now, some have said the stock ones do it as well but not as often for some reason. As I am the only one with custom towers its difficult to pin down. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it...

For not being able to attach stuff press Alt-F12, go to cheats and click the last one on the list "Non-Strict Part Attachment Orientation Checks"

Just posted an update that fixes the lander legs and a bunch of other stuff.

* Fixed un-attachable lem legs
* Made science exp and Lem Ladder PhysicsSignificance = 1 so asymmetrical placement does not effect balance.
* Made electricity always active for all FASA launch clamps to prevent dead launches after warping.
* Tweaked explorer part attachment node placement for easy building.
* Moved Pioneer to Basic Science tech node. It was a bit too easy to get...
* Made Pioneer have a material bay instead of a temp scan.
* Many more engine tweaks....
* Lowered most max temps by 1000 degrees. Adjusted engine heat accordingly.
* Added more electricity to the Agena Probe core. Decreased packet electricity cost for Agena antenna.
* Fixed NavBalls not showing correctly
* Lowered ISP on SRB's
* Tweaked Winged Gemini for better flight.

none of the provided pioneer .craft have the probe solar panels, is this by design?

Pioneer+ 24 Gemini miniSRB+DEC+ Saturn V= Ridiculous speed a (or a game crash, one of the two)

Edited by DarthVader

Found an error with the LEM ascent stage:

tumblr_ngnj68L30x1rpsnwro6_r1_1280.png

I looked around, and even looked at the mk 1-2 command pod, and I have no clue what's going! :D Game is still playable as far as I can tell, so we can put the hammer down... for now.

I know I would love a pack like that... What would our program be had we contunued past the X-15......?

After the X-15 NASA intended to switch to lifting bodies. The actual X-plane progression was about what we got (well upto the end of the scope for FASA as laid out.) Actually right up to the X-30 we stayed on course for projected NASA projects. A Few X-15 flights were canceled due to the loss of some of the aircraft but in the End nothing "Astropheric" was planned after the X-15. The Lifting bodies are often shown on modified Titan II/IV launchers but that was more for orbital re-entry testing than full use. NASA was able to simulate most of the early orbital re-entry with the Lifting bodies by strapping bigger engines on them than originally designed. Then Balls 3 or Balls 8 would drop them as high as the B-52Bs could go and they would climb then dive to simulate the future space shuttle.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.