[1.0.5] FASA 5.44

frizzank

Frizzank that happens when you add the surfacefx module to a part that is also has a command/unmanned module on it. This is why the above mm patch is a bad idea. Many mods have engines built into certain parts that are also unmanned/manned pods which causes this bug. I've also found other bugs. If you add any of the new scanner modules to a part with an engine or enginefx module on it, it causes the part to start on the pad with the engines activated. Also, if you add the gps module to a part with engines or enginesfx it causes massive error spam in the log.

Added Engine FX and tweaked heat values for parts.

* Tweaked max heat values for all parts

* Added launch fx to rocket engines

* PhysicsSignificance = 0 to heatshield and launch clamps...

* Tweaked Apollo CM to be self levelling on re-entry

* J2 and RL10 engine adjustments

Edited by Snark
Link to defunct website removed by moderator

frizzank said:

Thank You frizzank.

frizzank said:

I may have found a potential bug that you may have fixed or not.

When I have the Apollo CM with it's heat shield at the top of a craft, with another heat shield lower down (ie: if I had the Apollo CM->Heatshield->Fuel Tank->Heatshield) I find that the Apollo CM heatshield still takes damage/heating when entering along with the one on the very bottom. This behavior isn't the case with the stock heatshields.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and another one. If you have the Apollo CM->Heatshield->CM Decoupler and when you trigger the decoupler it makes the Apollo capsule go flying and spinning.

Lastly, it seems that that Apollo heatshield is no where near as durable as the stock heatshield - I barely make it in the atmosphere where with the stock one I have lots of room to spare.

For some reason, the science I transmit back from Messenger doesn't register as received when I return to the Space Center screen, however if I keep the data and land it back on the ground (or recover it in any way) it works just great... Might be a dummy mistake, but it doesn't seem to work :\ It also uses battery power every time I run the experiment, but is not transmitting it.

I assembled a test craft using the Pioneer Probe Core and it's Pioneer Antenna and on that it worked if I transmitted the data using the Antenna. That doesn't seem to work on Messenger, though :\

Additional thing I noticed: The contracts do not complete using FASA craft. Even simple things like 'launch your first craft'. I launched 2 Messenger missions and a Mercury Redstone mission (which landed safely) and neither registered any contract completion :\

- - - Updated - - -

Lastly, it seems that that Apollo heatshield is no where near as durable as the stock heatshield - I barely make it in the atmosphere where with the stock one I have lots of room to spare.

That's called good engineering ;) Either that or you need to improve your re-entry profile, maybe? I'm no expert, I only started playing with DE at 0.90!

Edited by MDBenson

Another thing I'm seeing, is that when I use the FASA launch towers, they seem to magically re-appear at about 6k meters, often hitting my rocket and destroying it. I managed to catch it in a screenshot:

TowersMidFlight_Good.png

Greetings kerbal killers,

I'd like to report what appears to be missing textures in FASA 5.31.

Here is the extract from my log, i have confirmed the files are missing unless they are still contained in the models...

[ERR 16:51:25.049] Texture 'FASA/Props/ASETindicators/model000' not found!
[ERR 16:51:25.068] Texture 'FASA/Props/Bolt/BoltCap' not found!
[ERR 16:51:25.069] Texture 'FASA/Props/Bolt/BoltCap_NRM' not found!
[ERR 16:51:25.171] Texture 'FASA/Props/LM_FuelIndicatorSE/FuelIndicatorInd' not found!
[ERR 16:51:25.176] Texture 'FASA/Props/LM_FuelIndSE/FuelIndicatorInd' not found!
[ERR 16:51:25.253] Texture 'FASA/Props/LM_Mirror/screen' not found!
[ERR 16:51:25.257] Texture 'FASA/Props/LM_Mirror/screen-emissive' not found!

Hey Frizzank, I can't seem to get your stage decouplers for the Saturn V to attach to raidernick's Skylab. I don't know if it's a problem with your decouplers or his skylab. I think it's your part, but I'm not entirely sure.

I dont know whats up with the launch towers. It started doing it in 1.0 others have reported stock towers doing it so I don't think its just my mod. If anyone has a fix im all ears.

The heat shields still need some tweaking, you can turn heating off or use the stock heat shield if you like until I get it worked out.

The decoupler is probably an attach node pointing in the wrong direction. You can disable that in the cheat menu and see if thats it. Also you can just rotate the part 180 degrees and see if it attaches in the wrong orientation..

Yes I also have had the launch tower glitching/following issues, although it ONLY affected me using the launch tower stand alone pack, not the full blown FASA.

Another point: Were the Pioneer 6,7,8,9 probes not solar powered? Your probe does not seem to have any solar power for charging. Makes it a lot less useful as a long range probe!

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_6,_7,_8,_and_9

EDIT: Ah, do I have to add the Mini Solar Panels to Pioneer?

Edited by MDBenson

Another thing I'm seeing, is that when I use the FASA launch towers, they seem to magically re-appear at about 6k meters, often hitting my rocket and destroying it. I managed to catch it in a screenshot:

http://www.the-shadows.net/dirpics/Kerbal/TowersMidFlight_Good.png

Yeah, have the same problem ... did only a very quick test of the Fasa towers, though and had only a very tiny one stage rocket which barely reached 50k.

Anyway the the Umbilical Tower (and only the Umbilical Tower only) followed me up reappeared every few km and same on the way down. Then it disappeared completely.

The rest stayed on the launchpad, though. (To be clear the one that followed hasn't reappeared on the launchpad).

Edit: The 1.25m Redstone Clamp was considered as symmetry part with the FASA Launch Tower in the editor. The FASA Launch Tower has its lower hatch obstructed which makes it impossible for Kerbals to come out of the lower end. I placed placed a BZ-52 Radial Attachement point (Kerbal stock) against it and a Mk1 Lander Can on its attachment point as work around. But after loading it onto the launchpad the lader can was displaced.

If needed to I cam make screen shoots but to lazy right now.

Edit 2: If not decoupled the Umbilical Tower will provide power and fuel to the Rocket even after launch ... making it an infinite fuel source. ... and if visually left behind it still appears in staging.

Edited by Bizz Keryear

Yea I don't know how to fix the Umbilical, probably best to not use it until a fix can be found.....

@frizzank, what about my post? :3

Easy to replicate: just take a FASA landing leg from the tab in editor with debug window open and you start seeing errors.

Thanks for your hard work, I'd like to help to adjust FASA according to new rules of KSP 1.0

I noticed all of the engines in FASA still have maxTemp = 3200.

While going through the new Squad temps, i found out that the rule of thumb is no part should have maxTemp higher than 2000 other than heatshields and command pods.

- Heatshields have 3400.

- Pods designed for reentry have 2400.

- Sensitive equipment has 1200 maxTemp.

- Everything else 2000 maxTemp.

- All the engines have 2000 maxTemp + a new line "emissiveConstant = .." for heat dissipation. FASA engines are missing this line.

FASA engines also have ridiculously high heatProduction values over 400 which makes them burn each other when on the same plate.

For example the Mainsail engine has 180 heatProduction, Skipper has the highest of 306. The hottest are SRBs with 500 heatProduction value, that's why we don't want them to burn for as long before we ditch them.

I've been digging into the new thermodynamics of KSP 1.0 and made some outlines to help modders adjust their parts:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/117930-New-temperature-rules-for-parts-in-1-0

Edited by Enceos

Hello there,

I would like to know if there's known incompatibilities to cause FASA Explorer to generate a black screen.

I assembled the whole set with Mercury parts correctly and set my staging correctly but when I launch the flight, I get a black screen... No crash of the game just the viewport goes black.

Is this a known issue ?

Thanks.

Sorry frizzank for intruding in the modthread but I have a quick PSA for any CKAN users.

A change have occured in the CKAN metadata for FASA which for GUI users will generate error messages saying you lack a dependency or something similar upon attempting to update the mod. To resolve this issue you must uninstall and then reinstall the mod again. Do _NOT_ start the game inbetween uninstalling and reinstalling.

CLI users should get a question on the next `ckan update` asking to fix things, answering yes should fix the problem. If not -> uninstall and reinstall to fix the problem.

Users installing FASA for the first time will be unaffected.

As always, please bring any CKAN questions over to the CKAN thread and don't bother frizzank with them. We're the ones you want to yell at when CKAN break things, not the mod author.

Once again sorry to frizzank for hijacking the thread but I hope this will make life easier.

Now that 1.0 is out, I'm finally taking the opportunity to play with FASA in a "normal" game. Been having a ball with it so far but I noticed something that seems strange to me. So far I've come across three "Gemini ... Liquid Fueld Tanks". There's the "Short 2.5M", the "Small Silver" and the "Medium Silver". They all look basically the same (other then size) so I've been using them in combination with each other to make various Atlas and Centaur creations. But I noticed that while the "Small Silver" has half as much fuel as the "Medium Silver", the "Short 2.5m" actually has 57% as much fuel as the "Small Silver" but it's less then half the height. Was this intentional or is the "Short 2.5m" not supposed to be used along side the "... Silver" tanks?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.