LLL - Lack Luster Labs - Development Thread

Lack

I guess I'm just bad at designing things. I can never build a base that is able to attach properly to the top of a rocket, it seems. the launch vehicles aren't really the problem (Moar Power!) but getting a properly designed payload is.

Edited by Mechfan

Hello

I just downloaded and installed the full LLL version. Upon launch KSP proceeds to crash to desktop. I use the full B9 version as well and was told that there could be problems with ram usage. However I have 16GB of ram (on Windows 7 64-bit).

Here's the error report, and the output_log.

Thank you for the help in advance!

KSP runs 32-bit due to the Unity engine so your 64-bit and 16GB RAM don't matter:(. RAM usage caps out at 3.5GB.

I guess I'm just bad at designing things. I can never build a base that is able to attach properly to the top of a rocket, it seems. the launch vehicles aren't really the problem (Moar Power!) but getting a properly designed payload is.

Without seeing some of your designs its hard to say....but, is it possible your just trying to launch modules that are to encumbering all at once? Depending on your landing destination you can build most bases in orbit from smaller modules, then land it as a whole....this is made easyer with mods like KerbalJointReinforcement and KAS.

Docking ports seem flimsy, and its true it dont take much to flex them....but it takes alot more than most think to actually break them...

I have even managed to land a 6 module base on Duna before with no breakage.

You can add 'MOAR POWERZ' till your blue in the face...some things are just a pain in the rear to launch all in one go =P

Without seeing some of your designs its hard to say....but, is it possible your just trying to launch modules that are to encumbering all at once? Depending on your landing destination you can build most bases in orbit from smaller modules, then land it as a whole....this is made easyer with mods like KerbalJointReinforcement and KAS.

Docking ports seem flimsy, and its true it dont take much to flex them....but it takes alot more than most think to actually break them...

I have even managed to land a 6 module base on Duna before with no breakage.

You can add 'MOAR POWERZ' till your blue in the face...some things are just a pain in the rear to launch all in one go =P

I've tried launching things in pieces, and it tends to work OK, but all my components are circular and have landing legs. I was asking for design tips on how to design rectangular payloads and properly strap them to a rocket. So my bases look semi-permanent and not like a parking lot of space ships.

mediafire??? Man, can you not use anything else ? MF is the biggest virus, spyware, malware loader on earth. Every ad and piece on code on their pages are being blocked by my AV, as it tries to load **** on to my PC. Please use anything else, i.e. code.google.com, moddb.com, etc... cheers.

Can we get some corner segment pieces for the windowed walkways? It would be nice to make a loop around a ship or base with full windowed walkways instead of having to use the blocks on the corners. Maybe have a 45 degree turn and a 90 degree turn version, and if it isn't too time consuming a segment with an animated door would be cool too. Having the Airlock look with an open/close option or something since the airlock looks really nice.

Edited by ChemicalMonkey

Once again - thanks Lack for outstanding parts! I just find unlimited uses for them. I've made numerous pods with them for the Wayland Space 1999 Eagle. Here's some of the latest designs (and there's a link in my sig for anyone wanting to try them out).

The latest upgrade to the Eagle pods - they all have landing gear now. I've re-sized the LLL Landing legs to be a proper fit for the Eagle pods. (Anybody downloading my mods from the sig link, fair warning that my re-sized versions will overwrite the standard sized versions. But shouldn't outright -break- anything.)

jLY87wO.png

Below: This Eagle can carry and launch four mapping probes at a time.

NGwsHxP.png

vRUA5U9.png

Made up of mostly LLL Parts, the Kethane Prospecting Eagle is arguably the one with the longest "legs". You could do a Grand Tour of the Kerbol System with this rig alone!

uYSCAcG.png

This Eagle Pod can be placed to link up with other pods to form a base. (More of that below)

ipVGfD6.png

This beefy looking little rover...

zjk2Wms.png

... fits snugly under the Eagle truss. It is heavy though. An Eagle can manage the mass just fine in orbit or on lower G worlds like the Mun or Minmus, but the extra launch boosters are needed to break free of Kerbin's Gravity and leave enough fuel to get to the destination safely.

I call the rover the "Beagle" of course. :) Its main job is to dock with other modules on the ground with its CMB port on the rear and tug them around to be fitted together. You can store a couple of extra small rover wheels in the KAS Storage bozes (under the fenders and between the wheels) to attach to those other modules for that purpose. Though on the Minmus Ice flats the extra wheels weren't really needed.

dP6lYtf.png

OtTy9Jq.png

Here's Eagle 5 having docked the latest module to Minmus Base Alpha and receiving some extra fuel before lift-off from the Kethane rig.

mQJc5Tj.png

Lifting away smoothly for the return to Kerbin and another load to deliver.

mabXkIr.png

After a few more deliveries the base looks like this:

BaVZe4x.png

(I don't think I'm going to add anymore to this one. Getting pretty laggy.)

The Eagle comes with its own custom engines. The Mk 1 and 2 Eagles were using the old fuel system. But the Mk 3 uses normal fuel - Fuel and Oxidizer. So it's compatible with all other craft in terms of refueling. I'd say the Version 3 engines are comparable in efficiency to the stock Nuclear engine from Squad. Flight to orbit from the runway takes about 1/3 to 1/2 of the total fuel load depending on what you're lifting and about 10 minutes to minimum circular orbit give or take.

I'm looking for a replacement for the H.O.M.E mod since that seems to be pretty much dead. Are these parts configured for easy travel over great distances? Are there any inflatible habitats/greenhouse?

These parts are great for building bases, but not in the same way as HOME. These parts really shine when building interplanetary starcruisers and such. Oh, and HOME isn't dead. Currently, it's possible to download the HOME/HOME2 pack, but you'll have to add them to the techtree yourself. Bobcat is also actively posting pictures of the HOME3 mod and the DEMV rework, which seem to be coming along nicely. So, to answer your question, these parts are not a replacement for HOME, but you'll be able to make some pretty darn cool bases with them anyway. I'd just take a look at all the pictures in the OP if I were you. Yes, there are greenhouses, but no, they're not deployable.

These parts are great for building bases, but not in the same way as HOME. These parts really shine when building interplanetary starcruisers and such. Oh, and HOME isn't dead. Currently, it's possible to download the HOME/HOME2 pack, but you'll have to add them to the techtree yourself. Bobcat is also actively posting pictures of the HOME3 mod and the DEMV rework, which seem to be coming along nicely. So, to answer your question, these parts are not a replacement for HOME, but you'll be able to make some pretty darn cool bases with them anyway. I'd just take a look at all the pictures in the OP if I were you. Yes, there are greenhouses, but no, they're not deployable.

Oh that's great. I didn't even know there was a H.O.M.E 2. One more question though, is this mod already officially released? Because I can't find it in the Projects Showcase section. Will it ever be oficcialy released?

I got some problems, some parts are not showing up, some part like the omni radar just have the adapter part than the radar. I really love this mod but, i need help to get all the part up, can some one please help?

I got some problems, some parts are not showing up, some part like the omni radar just have the adapter part than the radar. I really love this mod but, i need help to get all the part up, can some one please help?

Just a derp check, you do have the standard version not LLL-Lite right?

Got a problem, copying KSP to another computer, one of my ships won't load. It says it cant find part LLLRCS1

I downloaded LLL-Lite v1, LLL 10.7 Test 2 and LLL 10-7-3 and can't see RCS block, can someone help? The other machine isnt available right now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.