Rareden's Projects

Rareden

hey, youve already done one for me, but could you do this?

http://www./download/54g115e9dl6j4x6/Inflexible_Class_Torpedo_Launche.craft

Like this screenshot, but with the cover off, solar panels extended, the hatch cover in front floating off the edge of the screen while a missile inside is firing:

dbCYwtQ.png

or like this, but from the back looking foreward:

LAz71xF.png

Wow, those artworks are amazing and make me unbelievably depressed that KSP doesn't look like that. Dammit, really depressed - especially because my PC could actually run KSP looking like that...

Wow, those artworks are amazing and make me unbelievably depressed that KSP doesn't look like that. Dammit, really depressed - especially because my PC could actually run KSP looking like that...

If Squad ever takes on the task of developing a dedicated engine instead of relying on a pre-packaged one-size-fits-all solution like Unity, I'd say KSP would look a lot like that.

Unfortunately, that would mean an almost complete overhaul of the whole game, and that's also assuming that anybody on the dev team even has the skills to develop such an engine. (No slight intended to the devs, but there's a reason that the big AAA games have whole teams of people slaving away for months on-end at top level pay to develop those custom engines.)

Unity isn't really a problem here, unity offers everything you need to make the game look like that, plus they added new technologies already like procedural terrain that gives the proper LOD at different distances. Squad just needs to create higher resolution textures, continue to redo the planets like they did with the Mun and add more visual eye candy, and the rest is just shaders and FX.

Edit: They would need to expand their team with a dedicated group of talented artists and tech-artists that would work on visual improvements 24/7.

Edited by Tingle

Unity isn't really a problem here, unity offers everything you need to make the game look like that, plus they added new technologies already like procedural terrain that gives the proper LOD at different distances. Squad just needs to create higher resolution textures, continue to redo the planets like they did with the Mun and add more visual eye candy, and the rest is just shaders and FX.

Edit: They would need to expand their team with a dedicated group of talented artists and tech-artists that would work on visual improvements 24/7.

Yeah, except they already boosted the texture quality, and look what it's doing to the people who are running it on systems that marginally support it. Let's face it: not everybody has a power machine; the bulk of players are using systems that will barely handle Minecraft, and here comes KSP with the additional load of active realtime physics too.

EDIT: "24/7"? LOL that's something you'll find at one of EA's production houses where deadlines mean millions of dollars. I doubt that's going to happen with a project like KSP where the budget isn't already provided and set in stone by investors and a parent publishing company.

one thing that irks me is that they dont have specular maps, that would add greatly to the visual of the game, plus unitys shaders arnt that great atm, you would need to get them near cryengine 3 to make it look similar to this

Amen.

Yeah, except they already boosted the texture quality, and look what it's doing to the people who are running it on systems that marginally support it. Let's face it: not everybody has a power machine; the bulk of players are using systems that will barely handle Minecraft, and here comes KSP with the additional load of active realtime physics too.

Graphics are NOT a problem in KSP, 90% of the computers can run KSP just fine, it's the physics that kill most of the user's PCs, not the graphics. My four year old GTX 460 can still run KSP on FHD with maxed out settings at 45FPS (small rocket). And you completely forgot about the existence of graphic settings, Squad could break down the shader and texture complexity as they already do now. There definetely is no barrier in getting some fancy graphics into KSP at the moment, except money and time.

one thing that irks me is that they dont have specular maps, that would add greatly to the visual of the game, plus unitys shaders arnt that great atm, you would need to get them near cryengine 3 to make it look similar to this

They gotta hire some guys from Crytek, no, better, they shall hire YOU. :D

Serious now, what's the problem in generating planets with WorldMachine? They should be just fine in KSP, assuming the planets are huge meshes and not procedurally generated at runtime.

Edited by NeoLegends

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.