Rareden's Projects

Rareden

i use the original meshs as a base usually then create hd versions with cleaner models textures, like the wheels and battery in the new one.
You mean you retexture everything? That's quite impressive! I'm sure a lot of people would be willing to pay you to upgrade the stock game's awful textures to something a bit more beautiful.

You mean you retexture everything? That's quite impressive! I'm sure a lot of people would be willing to pay you to upgrade the stock game's awful textures to something a bit more beautiful.

No, he doesn't re-texture the models in the game. He uses the part meshes from the game in a 3D editor and improves the textures for use in there. He is NOT replacing any game assets; he's using game assets as a starting point to create his own static artwork.

No, he doesn't re-texture the models in the game. He uses the part meshes from the game in a 3D editor and improves the textures for use in there. He is NOT replacing any game assets; he's using game assets as a starting point to create his own static artwork.

i could replace them though.

and is the image working now

Edited by Rareden

Of course he doesn't use the game engine to render these. But switching the textures out for his rendering engine is very similar to switching them out for the game.

Of course he doesn't use the game engine to render these. But switching the textures out for his rendering engine is very similar to switching them out for the game.

:/ Except for the fact that the game has those planet textures compiled into it, and replacing them isn't quite as simple as pointing to a different file, the way one would in 3DS or Maya. It could be simple if the textures were made swappable through a mod, but as far as I know, that's not really possible (yet?).

More importantly, to your earlier point:

While I'm certainly loving what he's doing with these, Squad would take exception to having their core product modified and re-distributed, and almost certainly would take legal exception to somebody taking payment to do it.

Also, while I agree the default textures could use a little development lovin, I feel like it's a bit harsh to call then "awful", all things considered. There's also the little non-trivial issue that, for the game to provide the kind of detail rareden's putting into his renders, players would almost certainly have to sacrifice a great deal of performance from the game in the process. Unity just isn't hardy enough to provide that and physics modeling on every ship part as well. Well, not if you want to be able to play it at anything better than PowerPoint slideshow speeds. :D

Having said all that, there's nothing in the world keeping you from opening up those parts and developing your own textures for them for your own use, or even developing a mod kit that provides those enhanced parts. Just remember that every additional byte of space those textures take up is that much more memory that those parts will have to take up when the game is loading, and since Unity is still only 32-bit, you're going to hit a limit at around 3.5GB, which any other parts and mods will have to reside within as well.

Edited by Deadweasel

Never said anything about planet textures, and I don't think he uses any part of them other than a basic map.

He wouldn't be redistributing the stock textures, he'd be doing literally the same thing most part mods out there are doing: Providing a new set of files. Either way it's a moot point as I doubt he has any intentions to do it, I was just awwing at his skill.

It was only for forum thread of the Month

But still

This should be stickyed not for forum thread of the month, but EPICNESS

i second this

also, people send me the most awesome looking space stations to use in the next image, would just need the persistants.sfs file of it. along with a screen shot

no clue where the planet textures are stored or how to get them.

Ooh! Ooh! I know that one! kinda... Here! http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/25148-Web-maps-of-all-bodies-%280-4-ALL-bodies-mapped%21%29?highlight=saik0 he's the one from the web maps of ksp weekly, last week. A link to the map downloads can be found there. They're really accurate, but not official. But that's close enough right?

I love the pic with the guy sitting at his desk, the only thing missing is a shadow under the model lander that's on his desk (ie his hand is casting one but the lander isn't) looks a bit like a pasted on afterthought for my liking which throws the rest of the depth off in the image for me, but once again top work. The new one with the lander on Duna is freaking beautiful.

Ooh! Ooh! I know that one! kinda... Here! http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/25148-Web-maps-of-all-bodies-%280-4-ALL-bodies-mapped%21%29?highlight=saik0 he's the one from the web maps of ksp weekly, last week. A link to the map downloads can be found there. They're really accurate, but not official. But that's close enough right?

yea saw that, i have the textures already although im not sure but those might be higher resolution

I love the pic with the guy sitting at his desk, the only thing missing is a shadow under the model lander that's on his desk (ie his hand is casting one but the lander isn't) looks a bit like a pasted on afterthought for my liking which throws the rest of the depth off in the image for me, but once again top work. The new one with the lander on Duna is freaking beautiful.

errrh its all one scene, the lander is casting a shadow, the light isnt a solid direct light, its diffused to give a smooth looking image, there is a shadow under it, it just blends in with the color of the wood table

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.