[0.22] B9 Aerospace Pack / R4.0c / New pods, IVAs, engines, fuselages & structures

bac9

I'd just like to add my two cents in here, I've been getting the frequent crashes that other users are describing, I use other mods, but I imagine it's not just me having too many mods, as I've seen Cyberstate say, he's tried removing everything and it didn't fix it. I've also been running B9 alongside several other mods for a long time before this update with no problems whatsoever. But now, even after removing a lot of mods, it doesn't seem to fix the problem.

There weren't THAT many parts added this update were there? I mean, I'm sure I removed as many or more parts as were added...

So I've run into an odd problem; I decided to use the spotlights to help in docking two craft. Unfortunately, they literally light up Kerbin from orbit!

Literally! As in, I turn them on and the dark side of the planet gets illuminated! ... is this -supposed- to happen?

So I've run into an odd problem; I decided to use the spotlights to help in docking two craft. Unfortunately, they literally light up Kerbin from orbit!

Literally! As in, I turn them on and the dark side of the planet gets illuminated! ... is this -supposed- to happen?

this is a bug with KSP, I don't think it is fixable.

best option is to use dimmer lights, or use the small radial battery's green LED to show the port.

I searched through the forums and didn't see this mentioned, but are the B9 mk2 parts supposed to match up with the stock mk2 parts? Whenever I attach a stock and a B9 mk2 part together they are always vertically offset by a small amount. I checked the cfg but the node locations all seem to be in the right spot.

Is this by design?

This is easily in my top 3 fav mods but at the moment in .22 its having serious crash errors, etc tt modular wheels is having them as well pretty bad but this is far worse to the point i cant have it installed. Thanks in advance and good work :) .

So I built this drone explorer aircraft. With FAR running, it flies quite nicely. However, there's a severe shortage of power. It is flying in the atmosphere on 2 high bypass turbofans, and various parts from B9 that remind me of modern jet aircraft.

Well, one of the parts it seems to be missing from that ensemble is an auxillary power unit. The turbofans produce far too little electric charge on their own (which is realistic, I suppose, I think modern jet engines used for flight only have tiny alternators, just enough to provide backup power to the aircraft). It needs an auxillary power unit that provides little thrust but about a megawatt of power.

Instead, I have to keep the radios running using solar panels, which is silly (and it is hard to fit enough solar panels since they add drag)

unmanned%20explorer.png

Edited by BrickedKeyboard

So I built this drone explorer aircraft. With FAR running, it flies quite nicely. However, there's a severe shortage of power. It is flying in the atmosphere on 2 high bypass turbofans, and various parts from B9 that remind me of modern jet aircraft.

Well, one of the parts it seems to be missing from that ensemble is an auxillary power unit. The turbofans produce far too little electric charge on their own (which is realistic, I suppose, I think modern jet engines used for flight only have tiny alternators, just enough to provide backup power to the aircraft). It needs an auxillary power unit that provides little thrust but about a megawatt of power.

Instead, I have to keep the radios running using solar panels, which is silly (and it is hard to fit enough solar panels since they add drag)

unmanned%20explorer.png

Simple fix.

You have to many antennas.

One omni directional antenna, the one that is always on is perfect. And a decent sat-comm network will keep control of that drone the whole time.

I have currently I think 6 LKO comm sats around Kerbin, that orbit around 150km above kerbin. Each is the roughly the same distance apart. (very roughly, but they all have the same orbital period so they stay where they need to be)

I have 3 at a much higher 350km X 350km orbit. And I have a space station at 125km orbit with 6 kerbals on board acting as a mission controller from orbit. It is overly redundant but it works.

This problem you are having has nothing to do with B9 unfortunately.

Yeah, he's a bit overstrapped for power on that design. That much power being driven into long range comm dishes is usually a dedicated truck and generator or fixed facility. (More comms than he actually needs and a huge waste of electrical power.)

But he DOES make a good point on auxiliary generators. We need an APU unit, or rather several.

- surface APUs.

Both small and large, in line and radial. Functioning on vehicle fuel and atmosphere.

- orbital APUs.

Same as above, but more like Fuel Cells running of fuel and oxidizer to produce a small amount of electric charge. (More than an RTG, but without the 'unlimited' battery life it has since it runs on fuel.)

They're not meant to replace a full scale power system, like a solar array or main engines, hence the AUXILIARY in Auxiliary Power Unit. But they provide a good source of continuous power in case of dead batteries or idling on the ground somewhere in exchange for using fuel. Or in some cases, like the above poster trying to put FAR too many long range comms arrays on one craft, just plain old providing an additional generator without having to stack more engines on it.

Really, APUs are on just about any aircraft larger than a business jet. One of the first things fired up after battery connect. (And on some combat aircraft, it's the APU that provides the power to crank the engines. Since you're using a smaller, easier to start turbine to fire up a larger turbine.)

I'm kind of surprised the only turbine generator I've seen is a simple hack job of a turbojet part renamed and given a thrust of 1.

Thanks for that its certainly the cross section I was after but I just wished the cargo bays opened above rather than through the cargo ramp. You can just see Jeb's cousin Bubba screaming RAMP CLEAR and GREEN LIGHT in orbit cant you.

What I was thinking of doing with it was having the oversized cargo bays for chunkier loads not necesarilly a lot of them maybe even just one bay.

Edited by Sochin

I've watched plenty of episodes of Mayday, so I'm pretty sure that Modern Jets DO get all their power from the jet engines, In fact the APU is designed for emergency use only, that and the RAT(Ram Air Turbine) are emergency tools for when the main jet engines are out of commission. APU's are usable when you have fuel left, though if your out the RAT is the only thing giving you BASIC instruments and hydraulic systems......

While I do agree that an APU would be nice, a more important thing to do would be to simply increase the power generation of the jet engines. IRL, planes DO get most of their power from the jet engines. Although a RAT could also be cool :)

Anyone know if bac9 plans to add shrouds for the atlas engine?

Man, I wish someone would! I'd love to use that on a Mk1-2 pod with some pancake LFO and monoprop tanks, it'd make a great escape pod/small lander, but without a shroud you just can't blend it in.

Man, I wish someone would! I'd love to use that on a Mk1-2 pod with some pancake LFO and monoprop tanks, it'd make a great escape pod/small lander, but without a shroud you just can't blend it in.

Proceural Fairings' interstage part can help with this in the meantime.

Proceural Fairings' interstage part can help with this in the meantime.

True, and I have used that, but the fairing base itself is quite thick, much thicker than a 2.5m decoupler, so if you want to keep a low profile it's tough to do, that's all. :)

My two cents here... B9 looks cool, and I'd love to use it, but I have the memory issue that others posted about recently in this thread. I also run KW rocketry and NP (along with a smattering of mods with much less memory footprint; Interstellar, ScanSAT, Alarm Clock, ect.). The game crashes at load up. In my experience with the memory limitation, if it crashes at startup, that means you are over before you've even started loading more into the RAM from actually flying around.

Granted, this isn't exactly B9's fault. KW and NP are also both pretty memory intensive. However, I would much rather have KW and NP; B9 just looked like something fun to try. Playing around with the mods, it appears that B9 uses almost as mnuch as KW and NP combined. Perhaps if B9 could be reduced (I have no earthly idea how) then I would play with it. Otherwise, rockets > planes. :)

My two cents here... B9 looks cool, and I'd love to use it, but I have the memory issue that others posted about recently in this thread. I also run KW rocketry and NP (along with a smattering of mods with much less memory footprint; Interstellar, ScanSAT, Alarm Clock, ect.). The game crashes at load up. In my experience with the memory limitation, if it crashes at startup, that means you are over before you've even started loading more into the RAM from actually flying around.

Granted, this isn't exactly B9's fault. KW and NP are also both pretty memory intensive. However, I would much rather have KW and NP; B9 just looked like something fun to try. Playing around with the mods, it appears that B9 uses almost as mnuch as KW and NP combined. Perhaps if B9 could be reduced (I have no earthly idea how) then I would play with it. Otherwise, rockets > planes. :)

Check out thet B9 texture reduction pack by attosecond. You WILL notice a decrease in quality, but during regular play, you should be able to ignore it.

EDIT: Here it is: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/b9-4-0c-texture-reduction-pack-extreme/

It shaves B9 down to about one fourth of what it normally is.

Check out thet B9 texture reduction pack by attosecond. You WILL notice a decrease in quality, but during regular play, you should be able to ignore it.

EDIT: Here it is: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/b9-4-0c-texture-reduction-pack-extreme/

It shaves B9 down to about one fourth of what it normally is.

Good tip! I'll definitely give that a try.