[0.22] B9 Aerospace Pack / R4.0c / New pods, IVAs, engines, fuselages & structures

bac9

Runs fine for me, and I have a large number of parts mods installed. (Granted, I had to set my texture resolution to "half" and the TextureReducer mod helps as well.)

Make sure you've installed all the folders in the B9 .zip file, not just the one called "B9". (For instance, I'm pretty sure animations are handled by either the Firespitter or ExurgentEngineering folders...)

The landing gear appears to be nonworking. In fact, none of the moving parts work. The MK5 Cockpit also has the IVA of the stock Mk3. Am I missing something?

Ohhhh, do I need to use that menu thingy? The Info Drive, right? No? I'm pretty sure I installed this properly. Move B9_Aerospace into GameData, right?

EDIT: I have it uninstalled for now because I don't need it at the moment (no offense, it's an amazing mod), but why did this happen?

Make sure you've installed all the folders in the B9 .zip file, not just the one called "B9". (For instance, I'm pretty sure animations are handled by either the Firespitter or ExurgentEngineering folders...)

What jrandom said. You need ALL the folders in the download installed.

Just curious, but is there any way that perhaps the next release we coudl get a spaceplane cockpit similar to the mk.1 fuselage that has loads of visibility?

I hate almost all of the cockpit IVAs precisely for this reason.

could you make more detailed installation instructions please? I think ive installed it wrong so parts aren't loading

From the readme.txt file included in the B9 download

Installation

Unpack everything to the root folder of the game, overwriting already existing GameData and Ships folders. Source folder contains the source code for the included plugins and is unnecessary for the mod to work.

Make sure you have KSP 0.22 or higher.

Support for KSP 0.21 is discontinued, use R3.4 if a compatible version is needed.

Support for KSP 0.20.2 is discontinued, use R3.2 if a compatible version is needed.

Versions below 0.20.2 are incompatible completely, even with older releases.

Do not, under any circumstances, extract just GameData/B9_Aerospace/Parts folder alone, the mod won't work this way. With a proper installation, you should have multiple new folders in GameData alongside with Squad folder that was there originally. Do not try to move the part folders anywhere or sort them by category subfolders, that will break resource linking in all configs.

If you are experiencing out of memory crashes in the game with this mod, try to use low-resolution optional texture set. To install it, overwrite the GameData folder in your KSP directory with GameData from the Textures_Reduced folder.

Love this mod, been using it since release 2. I have two issues with it currently though:

1) Ramp (RNM/RBM/Large DVI) intakes are woefully underpowered. They weigh 40 times more than a stock ram intake without any performance benefits. I love their aesthetics but they're not useful right now.

2) Sabre M's overheat very quickly.

What crash problem?

The crash problem that I and several other people are getting.

I've installed this mod (presumably) properly, and when the game finishes loading all the files, it crashes. I have several other mods installed as well, is there a known incompatibility list? I dragged the GameData folder over to the Kerbal Space Program folder and merged it with the already existing GameData folder, and did the same with the Ships. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it already, this mod is definitely what's causing the crash.

I hate almost all of the cockpit IVAs precisely for this reason.

You know, you can double-click on a window to look out of it. Just double-click on the front window of the S2, and you point of view will be moved to look out of it. It might take a few tries to click on the right place, though.

You know, you can double-click on a window to look out of it. Just double-click on the front window of the S2, and you point of view will be moved to look out of it. It might take a few tries to click on the right place, though.

Even with the window selection, visibility is still remarkably limited and you can't see any of your readouts/navball.

Even with the window selection, visibility is still remarkably limited and you can't see any of your readouts/navball.

I agree, that is a problem. It's possible to fly from cockpit when flying low, but for an SSTO, not quite. However, when you're in space, you don't really need to see out anyway - how many situations are there where you need both the navball and the window visibility? Don't get mee wrong, I'd really like cockpits with better visibility.

Love this mod, been using it since release 2. I have two issues with it currently though:

1) Ramp (RNM/RBM/Large DVI) intakes are woefully underpowered. They weigh 40 times more than a stock ram intake without any performance benefits. I love their aesthetics but they're not useful right now.

2) Sabre M's overheat very quickly.

regarding point 1: they have much less drag (even less than a closed intake), but you're right - 40 times the weight is a bit much...

regarding point 2: that is a giant understatement. although the maximum thrust of the SABREs has been increased, even with precoolers the overheating limits the effective maximum thrust (speaking: thrust that doesn't blow up your engine) to below the 640 kN the SABRE Ms had before. bac9, please undo the recent changes made to the SABRE Ms or fix the overheating problem somehow - but DO something about it!

Question: If I installed all the mods that come with the download on SpacePort, and deleted the parts folders of everything except B9, would that be sufficient for the animations and everything to work properly?

No. All parts included in the B9 pack are necessary.

Some parts are shared with other mods (like firespitter.dll) but if it comes in the pack you'll need it.

I'm loving the B9 pack; it makes playing with FAR tolerable for aircraft. I do have a quick question though. The turbofan engines make a TSFC of ~.03 lb/(lb-hr) at altitude. I could be mistaken, but I think this should be an order of magnitude higher, on the order of 0.3. Love the engines anyways, it's nice to have something that operates well subsonically.

regarding point 2: that is a giant understatement. although the maximum thrust of the SABREs has been increased, even with precoolers the overheating limits the effective maximum thrust (speaking: thrust that doesn't blow up your engine) to below the 640 kN the SABRE Ms had before. bac9, please undo the recent changes made to the SABRE Ms or fix the overheating problem somehow - but DO something about it!

You may well just need more pre coolers. I've been running them with a stack of intake+(4 coolers)+engine, and they don't give any overheat in air-breathing mode, and only a very slow overheat which still allows continuous approx 90%+ in rocket mode. Sure, it ends up a BIG nacelle, but I think that's what is intended for them. That's using them embedded in my wings, so the wings act as coolers as well. If not using them embedded in wings, finding a way to sanely attach fins or control surfaces to them might well help.

So, personally, while I did think they were a bit broken in terms of overheat at first, I now think they are actually ok, just need to be used correctly.

What is the maximum size that the GameData folder can be?

Because whenever I install B9 alongside my other mods the game crashes at startup.

There isn't a specific limit on the size of GameData, only on the total data loaded into process memory (which is a smaller subset of the folder, since some things are not stored in memory the same as in the folder, but as a smaller processed representation of them). If you want to use lots of mods, you petty much have to use half-res textures or texture reduction packs. As I understand it, this is a limitation of the Unity engine used by KSP, largely because it's stuck in the 32-bit past, and wasn't written to dynamically load only the textures required at any given time (that last part is understandable and not unreasonable, for performance reasons in a game engine).

The crash problem that I and several other people are getting.

I gave up. Can't get the original version to run at all...even at half-res. Anytime I use either download of the texture redux, the game works but the parts aren't there at all.

Everyone keeps blowing it off and there's not a peep from bac9, so I just gave up.

I gave up. Can't get the original version to run at all...even at half-res. Anytime I use either download of the texture redux, the game works but the parts aren't there at all.

Everyone keeps blowing it off and there's not a peep from bac9, so I just gave up.

If it works for everyone but you, there's either an issue with your KSP install or there's an issue with how you're installing B9. I don't know what else to say -- drag B9 and all the other folder there in the .zip to GameData/. That's it. Maybe try with no other mods installed first. Set texture res to "half" before installing.

If that doesn't work, either KSP is broken or you have a subtle hardware glitch or driver conflict with your system.

There isn't a specific limit on the size of GameData, only on the total data loaded into process memory (which is a smaller subset of the folder, since some things are not stored in memory the same as in the folder, but as a smaller processed representation of them). If you want to use lots of mods, you petty much have to use half-res textures or texture reduction packs. As I understand it, this is a limitation of the Unity engine used by KSP, largely because it's stuck in the 32-bit past, and wasn't written to dynamically load only the textures required at any given time (that last part is understandable and not unreasonable, for performance reasons in a game engine).

I do remember one of the devs saying that ksp would be available on 64-bit as soon as Unity was fixed.

I've got a compatabillity issue. B9 will work with some mods, but it has a problem with the Kosmos pack. Maybe its the dll files, but im just wondering, is there a list of compatabill mods?

Mods are in a constant state of flux, so it would be near impossible to maintain such a list. If you tell us what happens when you try to use B9 & Kosmos together, someone may have some suggestions to help you. If it's a case of the game crashing before it finishes loading, it's about 99% likely that it's just run out of memory, rather than the mods actually being incompatible. Texture reduction packs or setting the game to use half-res textures often solves the memory issue.