Kerbin Circumnavigation Challenge - Reloaded [New Rules Once More]

Well, this was my first challenge that I've ever tried, and it looked easy enough. I had plenty of fuel left, but by the time I was coming in for a landing at KSC, I found out that my center of mass was out of tune with my center of lift, and I couldn't control it's descent. Jebediah survived, somehow, but most of the aircraft didn't. And I had stayed below 25km the entire way, too! I thought I had it in the bag :rolleyes:. Maybe if I had thought about it while spinning out of control, I may have been able to transfer fuel from the back fuselages to the front ones and get the center of mass back on track. But I panicked :(.

PtfKdca.png

A3vKS2d.png

Starting to loose control.

jGW9Fro.png

Aww, crap.

o6gZbql.png

Of course, Jeb survives, even though the thing was tumbling out of control towards the ground...

Ra7AZNo.png

I think I shall try again another time, because that took up a good hour to do.

AHA! Success! I was able to circumnavigate Kerbin...without spinning out of control and crashing this time! I added an SAS unit to help increase torque and CoM towards the front of the craft, and added a few more control surfaces to move the center of lift back a little bit farther, so that when it came time to land, everything would be stable.

In the SPH.

Jb0OJTi.jpg

Coming in for a landing.

RNwDbZr.png

Success!

RBI2SSK.png

It appears as if I have enough fuel to go around Kerbin again. So, if there's a challenge to do that, I'm ready for it!

EDIT: Wooh wooh! I was able to circumnavigate a second time with the fuel I had left!

Taking off from KSC again.

Y7usQp8.png

Kerbol-rise.

YvBsYCK.png

Coming in hot, craft remains stable.

55WIlbT.png

Aiming for runway this time.

ddIiQVj.png

Safe landing!

huzWCcc.png

:D

(No mods, dev console, cheats, etc.)

Edited by turkwinif

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I've visited the forums. I'm now just reviewing all the entries submitted after my last reply here before I went into a hiatus.

Here's the Stiletto.

-snip-

Way more pleasant to fly than the Stiletto-d SSTO.

Alright! Welcome to the club. :D

One more time to be legitimate. Didnt read the part about NO DEV CONSOLE:huh:

VAB pic

-snip-

Great shot (and props for the effort and time you've spent to do it twice), but based on your flight records, you have overlooked another rule:

-One must not exceed 25,000m (that is, going 25,001m and above will void your attempt)

Thus voiding your attempt. Sorry.

I made it! It took me longer than I expected, and it ended way past my bedtime. But, I've gotten it done. And it was good stuff. I had some trouble keeping it level, so I was doing a lot of up-and-down. But I managed to stay below the 25km marker.

-snip-

Good job! Congratulations on making it in :D

Is this still going on? I have an all stock 747 with 21000+ fuel I'm pretty sure could do this, Although it's not very efficient, you guys have these small aircraft which travel extremely high which allow them to go fast, my bulky 747 is slow, around 150 m/s when fully loaded with 8 jet engines and cruises at 8000 meters lol but as it drains fuel it'll be able to go faster and higher

Went on a hiatus, but is now back (will visit this thread every now and then once more) :) Feel free to post your entry. Remember the rules!

AHA! Success! I was able to circumnavigate Kerbin...without spinning out of control and crashing this time! I added an SAS unit to help increase torque and CoM towards the front of the craft, and added a few more control surfaces to move the center of lift back a little bit farther, so that when it came time to land, everything would be stable.

-snip-

:D

(No mods, dev console, cheats, etc.)

aaaand here comes another double circumnavigation. congratulations!

Edited by Flixxbeatz
Overlooked an entry. Sorry!

DeqGoyD.jpg

UqYQZ5o.jpg

Took a while, but it did it

used 30% thrust for most of the trip, then steadily dropped it to 13 bit by bit when I checked on it. Was asleep for end of it though, look at the top speed and altitude.

Edited by medikohl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Despite my failed entry last time I was on this thread, I have successfully completed a circumnavigation without failing to loophole abuse (the craft was not jet powered), I followed all the rules this time, especially the one about being jet-powered. (note: some images are out of order)

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by SpaceK531

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

And suddenly, I'm back. After being busy with different stuff forsix freakin' months.

Here it is! I think it's been long enough to justify a double post.

-snip-

Nicely done! Welcome to the club :D

I have a VTOL carrier that I can refurbish to try this challenge... are VTOLs allowed?

-snip-

Hm, I think I'll allow that, feel free to give it a try.

Despite my failed entry last time I was on this thread, I have successfully completed a circumnavigation without failing to loophole abuse (the craft was not jet powered), I followed all the rules this time, especially the one about being jet-powered. (note: some images are out of order)

-snip-

All right! Good job :)

The LRS-X went around the planet once, glided in for a landing on the runway with no fuel left. Luckily this plane glides and lands really well. All stock game no mods.

-snip-

Cool! Welcome to the club :D

Could I try this challenge with a hydrofoil? I don't see anywhere in the rules that the vehicle has to fly, just that it has to circumnavigate Kerbin and return to KSC without any outside help.

Here's my craft if it where to be valid: http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2014/117/b/d/ksp_hydrofoil_by_aeroqc-d7g6b68.png

Must be an aircraft. And it must fly. Thanks for spotting the loophole.

This was a successful attempt to get around Kerbin using a relatively small craft with one jet. The 'Lazy Rabbit' uses capsule torque and thrust vectoring for control, so there are no active or inactive control surfaces on it. It flies quite nicely, with good response and predictable handling. Circumnavigation took a while, but it was a short jaunt compared to most any orbital flight plan. Here's the gallery, hopefully I've finally figure out how to use the correct bb code tags.

So, I was trying this as a self-challenge before I ever saw this thread, though I was just using stock aircraft.

I tried it with an Albatross 3, going east, going full throttle, mainly between about 10,000 and 15,000 meters, and got 197 degrees around the world (basically to the far side of the Big Empty Continent).

I tried it again but at only slightly above 25% throttle. Kept to between 11,000 to 14,000 meters most of the way. At the halfway point (105 E), I seemed to have more than half my fuel left, so I thought this was going to be no problem.

However, on the next half, I was getting up as high as 18,000 meters. It seemed to be easier to gain stable altitude (I presume because my weight was down with the fuel depleting). But by the time I got back to the west side of the home continent (where the KSC is), I was running on vapors.

And then...urk....when I was over that mountain range just west of the KSC, I ran out of fuel completely. But, the Alabatross 3 is a good glider, so I was able to make it those final 60 or whatever kilometers gliding. Whew!

My trip time was slightly over 4 hours (No, I didn't do it in one sitting, I basically quicksaved every hour and did it across 4 evenings).

I'm not sure what I could have done to still have a little fuel left at the end. Maybe if I had never climbed above 14,000 to 15,000 meters.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is the flight of the "Endurance"

Stock.

I have no idea why the flight results "Distance covered" in the second last image are incorrect. Has this happened to anyone else?

I did the whole thing in one continuous session, I did not switch away to another craft or quickload. I flew due East all the way straight along the equator, no time warp, very unimaginative. Look at the last image I can still revert the flight!

Thanks, Kaa

Edited by Kaa253

I finally finished! After almost 2 hours! I present to you, the circumnavigatir 004s4RP.png

i ran out of fuel past the mountains and turned around to land behind the KSC in the opposite direction i left in!

LCsiVvc.png

After so long, i am truly amazed at my dedication and lack of social life.

plugins: crew manifest; final frontier(ribbons for kerbals)

all stock, no timewarp, no hacks, etc.

Edited by Sputnik's Revenge

I had a few almost flatspins, but i didn't get screenies of those because i was too busy fighting the controls.

Hardly had to make any correction at all because the craft was so stable... the only major adjustment that could've failed was piping fuel forwards, but it wasn't a big problem.

... do I get to use that shiny badge now? :sticktongue:

EDIT:

On second thought, I might modify the plane and go for a double lap because I had quite a fuel clearance with horrid efficiency the first 1/3rd of the lap....

EDIT TWO:

I apologize Kaa253, I didn't realize I took your plane's name :wink:

If you want me to change it I will.

Edited by CavemanNinja

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.