Rune's Slightly Used Vehicles

Rune

32 minutes ago, CrashTestDanny said:

P.S.  could you give us better download links please?  Maybe KerbalX? :)

That's the plan, yes. Be patient! Turns out my weekend is going to be pretty devoid of KSP time. :(

As to the Claymore, the issue was that it kept exploding when I loaded it in space. Still, now 1.1.2 is out, so maybe it won't. It was weird as boop... anyhow, a slightly new version will eventually make its way to KebalX.

Rune. I never had time to install 1.1.1 and we already have a new patch... just like the good old days! :D

Edited by Rune

Yeah. Just to mention it, the download links do not work, they come with an error that the page does not exist and then uses a YAHOO! search with the words within the link. If you could and when you have the time, fix the download links because these ships look AMAZING and I really want to fly them all. 

EDIT: Yes, I saw the earlier post about simply adding hidden word into the download, but still, these things need proper links as not everyone will look through every post on this thread for a solution.

Edited by Gen7Gamer
Had to come back after seeing a few other posts on this thread.

3 hours ago, Rune said:

That's the plan, yes. Be patient! Turns out my weekend is going to be pretty devoid of KSP time. :(

As to the Claymore, the issue was that it kept exploding when I loaded it in space. Still, now 1.1.2 is out, so maybe it won't. It was weird as boop... anyhow, a slightly new version will eventually make its way to KebalX.

Rune. I never had time to install 1.1.1 and we already have a new patch... just like the good old days! :D

Ok man - sorry to pile on to your already busy weekend - have a great one!

Danny.  I think I'll go d/l 1.1.1.2 now :wink:

21 hours ago, Gen7Gamer said:

Yeah. Just to mention it, the download links do not work, they come with an error that the page does not exist and then uses a YAHOO! search with the words within the link. If you could and when you have the time, fix the download links because these ships look AMAZING and I really want to fly them all. 

EDIT: Yes, I saw the earlier post about simply adding hidden word into the download, but still, these things need proper links as not everyone will look through every post on this thread for a solution.

The twin gods of Work and Girlfriend seem to forecast a pretty leisure week ahead, so soon™. Might do a partial upload and post a WiP front page with the non-obsolete models for a while (Claymore, Orca, and precious little else), and archive the old one with hidden-links-that-do-work-but-are-hard-to-find. Then I would have room to add new awesomeness!

19 hours ago, CrashTestDanny said:

Ok man - sorry to pile on to your already busy weekend - have a great one!

Danny.  I think I'll go d/l 1.1.1.2 now :wink:

So far it's been a crapload of work, but thankfully that is done now. Yay!

Rune. Now if I could grab, say, 8 hours of sleep, then everything would be awesome.

Progress! I've tested a bunch of stuff, and I've taken the time to upload some of the things that will 'survive' the transition to 1.1 into KerbalX. So if you fancy, you can look around for fresh files there. I've even gone ahead and uploaded the Mk VII VB. You can grab it here. Just to refresh your mind as to what I'm talking about:

zTgVfyX.png

Still, much is left to do. I've only uploaded a handful of the subassemblies, for example. And the Claymore keeps on insisting on blowing up, but only when it is reloaded on orbit. That has me a bit more than puzzled and will require some further testing before releasing a 1.1-approved version. The base pack I think I could release right now, but the booster could use a couple more test launches to prove that it actually can do what it says on the box consistently. And I'm debating what other stuff to move over, I might just retire quite a few things to make room to grow. As you can see, stuff, but I'm slowly working through it.

Rune. Suggestions on what to move over and update are welcome!

Edited by Rune

31 minutes ago, Rune said:

Progress! I've tested a bunch of stuff, and I've taken the time to upload some of the things that will 'survive' the transition to 1.1 into KerbalX. So if you fancy, you can look around for fresh files there. I've even gone ahead and uploaded the Mk VII VB. You can grab it here. Just to refresh your mind as to what I'm talking about:

zTgVfyX.png

Still, much is left to do. I've only uploaded a handful of the subassemblies, for example. And the Claymore keeps on insisting on blowing up, but only when it is reloaded on orbit. That has me a bit more than puzzled and will require some further testing before releasing a 1.1-approved version. The base pack I think I could release right now, but the booster could use a couple more test launches to prove that it actually can do what it says on the box consistently. And I'm debating what other stuff to move over, I might just retire quite a few things to make room to grow. As you can see, stuff, but I'm slowly working through it.

Rune. Suggestions on what to move over and update are welcome!

I think you could probably retire a fair number of your older craft. The Arrow is probably a better SSTA than the Javelin, being able to land on Tylo and Eve and reach orbit from the former. The Lackluster supersedes the Heinlein, and the Orca supersedes the Trident. but the Claymore could use a little more refinement before I can say that it supersedes the Longsword(One of these days there'll be an SSTO with enough capacity to take a pair of Big Reds or your entire base pack to LKO in one trip). The White Dart should be updated, of course, being your signature craft, and the old Van Braun stations with the really cool Mk2 rings might have new life with an automated fuel pump mod (cf.http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/137489-112-gpospeedfuelpump-continued-v181/ ) or just the 1.1 menu pinning feature to cut down on excessive clicking(I'm liking how the VB MkVII uses LFO and monoprop tanks instead of empty SRBs, by the way).

2 hours ago, SingABrightSong said:

I think you could probably retire a fair number of your older craft. The Arrow is probably a better SSTA than the Javelin, being able to land on Tylo and Eve and reach orbit from the former. The Lackluster supersedes the Heinlein, and the Orca supersedes the Trident. but the Claymore could use a little more refinement before I can say that it supersedes the Longsword(One of these days there'll be an SSTO with enough capacity to take a pair of Big Reds or your entire base pack to LKO in one trip). The White Dart should be updated, of course, being your signature craft, and the old Van Braun stations with the really cool Mk2 rings might have new life with an automated fuel pump mod (cf.http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/137489-112-gpospeedfuelpump-continued-v181/ ) or just the 1.1 menu pinning feature to cut down on excessive clicking(I'm liking how the VB MkVII uses LFO and monoprop tanks instead of empty SRBs, by the way).

Exactly the opinions I asked for! And I concur for the most part, too. Still, the Claymore can already lift more than 45mT in a really big payload bay... it's already capable of carrying a base pack into orbit, by mass, though you might have a hard time squeezing it in. As this pic shows, the corridors and rover just won't fit, but we still haven't hit the max 180mT takeoff weight, even tough we are counting the box and the stuff outside (I hereby take this opportunity to spoil the newest box for the base... simple, right? Made to be towed by either an Orca, or other things).

n9NFqBN.png

Still, for now that is mostly a recipe for the kraken, a @ibanix says, we will see what the deal is with the wing (it's the area that the explosions seem to originate in).

As to the comments on the newest Von Braun, I'm glad you liked it! The arms actually only contain LFO, BTW, the thing in the middle are reaction wheels for attitude control. This time I didn't bother putting any kind of RCS, since it's the other stuff that's supposed to dock to it, and I've moved to an Ore-based depot strategy: I refine both Monoprop and LFO as I need them, and store them in standardized containers that I can stack. Incredibly efficient, volumetrically speaking. :) The tanks on the arms are only so the docking ports on the outside of the ring can draw fuel form somewhere, to feed Drive Pods for self-relocation. In those cases a refinery module and some ore tanks would also be attached.

And yes, the ring is very inefficient, being mostly structural parts. But that's its point! Visual fluff just to say you were able to put it where it is. An efficient space station would be a boring cylinder with lots of docking ports, right? If you liked the old, huge ones made out of Mk2 fuselages, well, nothing is stopping you to use them (other than the borked link, but we know how to fix that, don't we?), I think they should work perfectly well in the new versions.

Rune. Gotta keep innovating! :wink:

Edited by Rune

I do indeed know how to fix the borked link. Of course, I'm finding myself continually checking your KerbalX page to see if you've uploaded the new base modules yet, as my main save has been on-hold for a planned Minmus mining colony(Note: KerbalX is not very good at handling page reloading, pulling me back to the portal page if I send a request to fetch the URL and throwing an error page if I use the browser Refresh button). For the Von Braun station, though, I plan on tearing the Mk2 rings off the old models and rigging them to the newer models in place of the Mk1 rings, because I find the Mk3 core just as cool as the Mk2 rings, so in the words of Zoidberg, why not both?

@Rune How do you get the rings to attach smoothly together? I've been thinking about building a ring module for my interplanetary transports, but I don't know of any way to build a ring which is one complete circle all attached together without the use of docking ports and a lot of precise and time-consuming manoeuvring.

37 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

@Rune How do you get the rings to attach smoothly together? I've been thinking about building a ring module for my interplanetary transports, but I don't know of any way to build a ring which is one complete circle all attached together without the use of docking ports and a lot of precise and time-consuming manoeuvring.

Disassembling them, each "ring" Is actually only a semicircle, but applied in x2 radial symmetry and the ends held together with struts. Speaking of which...

S45vyXu.png

Managed to get the Mk2 rings up-to-date, although it's a bit beefy on part count and cost(understatement). That's a Mk1 liquid fuel fuselage in the middle, for extra dV on any attached LV-Ns, more docking ports so you can use the excess interior space, and large thermal control systems for extra overkill.

On 3/5/2016 at 11:38 PM, eloquentJane said:

@SingABrightSong got it right, each "circle" is actually two "semicircles" radiating from each spoke, and they are joined together with two struts on each joint, one going each way, for extra stiffness (when strutting, the direction you lay the strut in is important). The way I manage to angle the sections in a  smooth way is a bit trickier. First, I give them the angle (either 15º or 10º, or any other number that you can divide 360 by and get an even number). Then I put the offset tool on "local" mode (a hidden feature, press "F" with the offset gizmo open and you will toggle it on/off). And then I just move the section half a tick "in" so I can hide the ugly gap in a seamless manner. It sounds way more complicated than it is when I write it up...

On 3/5/2016 at 0:41 AM, SingABrightSong said:

Managed to get the Mk2 rings up-to-date, although it's a bit beefy on part count and cost(understatement). That's a Mk1 liquid fuel fuselage in the middle, for extra dV on any attached LV-Ns, more docking ports so you can use the excess interior space, and large thermal control systems for extra overkill.

Cool! It's way better to teach someone how to do it on their own, because then you see them come up with stuff that you yourself wouldn't. I like it! :)

Only check the RCS, you have thrusters using two different fuel mixes, and I'm not so sure you can translate in every axis as things stand now.

Rune. Technically, they are many-sided polyhedrons, not circles. :P

Edited by Rune

Holy Huge Updates Batman (Rune). Thanks for sharing, always enjoy your craft.

As for updating well Lacklustre, my personal favourite and something I have as yet failed to emulate in a larger craft, is there along with your other stalwarts. I always found your subassemblies very very helpful. So much so that my asteroid mining setup is about 80% made of them with a few bits of my own added. Outside of the claymore I would say that you could probably have done with updates and move onwards and upwards.

Just my 2p mind.

Edited by Oddbin

14 hours ago, squeaky024 said:

How are the RAPIER engines attached to the fuselage and wings like on the Orca?

"Cheatily". That's the short answer. I use Editor Extensions when building (because it's awesome) and it allows me, among many other things, to turn on and off surface attachment, A.K.A. the ability of parts to attach to something else other than nodes. So the RAPIERs without tanks are usually attached that way. You can use a cubic orthogonal strut to create an attachment node, sure, but that's one more part and maybe an extra strut, since the connection is so weak.

On 4/5/2016 at 0:30 AM, Oddbin said:

Holy Huge Updates Batman (Rune). Thanks for sharing, always enjoy your craft.

You are welcome! I'm starting up KSP right now to see if I can do some more of that. :)

On 4/5/2016 at 0:30 AM, Oddbin said:

As for updating well Lacklustre, my personal favourite and something I have as yet failed to emulate in a larger craft, is there along with your other stalwarts. I always found your subassemblies very very helpful. So much so that my asteroid mining setup is about 80% made of them with a few bits of my own added. Outside of the claymore I would say that you could probably have done with updates and move onwards and upwards.

Just my 2p mind.

Well, I think we will see how the KerbalX lineup is going, and when I think it is enough for an OP (and I get the time to update), that will pretty much be that.

Rune. Thanks for all the patience, hope to be done before 1.2 is out. :blush:

Yay, it lands! It lands! :D

QKckb85.png

It is tricky as boop, but if I can land it in the dead of night over rough terrain only blowing up the aft skirt, I think I can say it can be landed. Of course, I'm not saying it is easy to land, but ladies and gentlekerbs, the 40mT stage-and-a-half recoverable booster for the base pack flies. Like a boss! In fact, I'm rather sure it is a 50mT booster, or a 40mT without the side boosters, judging by the amount of fuel left over when you get to orbit. But, you know, why not "a bit" of margin?

92APziv.png

At least on the way up. On the way down it's more like a brick, but hey, as I said, landable. I imagine it's rather like the shuttle, drag is king, lift is just enough, the reentry is at a rather high AoA (~30º), and stalling it out is very, very easy. Hitting KSC will take some getting used to this profile... In fact, I have to use a bit of engine power to get it out of the dive it likes to take due to stalling out at 15kms going subsonic, as I try to milk range and/or not blow up due to overheating. But hey, a landing at less than 100m/s is doable, and the fuel margin is huge (you actually have to play with fuel balancing between the nose and the back on the way down, since it's balanced to fly empty), so who cares.

Rune. You guys like it? The game sure doesn't... all those fuselages give me no lift 'cause they are sideways! :rolleyes:

Edited by Rune

Hi,

I am a huge fan of the Heinlein.  I have modded it slightly to not really function as a lander anymore, but as a space taxi, shuttling Kerbals to my different stations. I hope it also survives. I am also looking forward to trying Lackluster when it's ready for 1.1.x

But, there does seem to be an issue with the legacy Heinlein's and  Mechjeb.  Whenever I try to do an advanced calculation for planetary transfer, it fails and the entire heatmap is red.  I was not going to raise a Mechjeb issue because it may be due to the new way that COM is calculated, and the magic that holds Heinlein together may be the issue.  If you do upgrade it, you may want to look into that.

Thanks

The Mechjeb issue seems to be a Mechjeb issue. It's possible that it's to do with a mod conflict, but it's not to do with the spacecraft itself. Mechjeb hasn't been updated since the pre-release so it's probably an issue left over from that time.

Wow, lots of love for the Heinlein, might have to revisit that.

In the meantime, the Base-In-A-Box is up! No Transport yet, but it is on the way. Serious internet issues here! Anyhow, in the meantime, you can tug it with Orcas. Feel free to ask about it, since I'm offering it without any instruction manual...

DIcikj8.png

Rune. Also lacking in pictures right now, donations running fancy visual mods are welcome if you guys start using it :wink:

Edited by Rune

3 hours ago, PointySideUp said:

Base in a Box 1.1 heading to Minmus, thanks for the update Rune!

5 hours ago, CrashTestDanny said:

I saw it on KerbalX and am downloading now!

Danny.  Ad astra per casus!

You are very welcome, enjoy! :)

Rune. Here's hoping I caught all bugs...

At first I thought that the docking port on the box was misaligned, but upon performing rendezvous, I noticed that it would be perfect for the Orca, which *also* has a docking port offset like that. And here I was thinking I would have to tug the box to Minmus with misaligned thrust .

Having a bit of trouble docking it, though. The Orca's rear-facing RCS ports don't work, being sunken behind the shielded docking port, and me having FAR installed. BRB, uninstalling FAR.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.