Rune's Slightly Used Vehicles

Rune

5 hours ago, CrashTestDanny said:

Sorry man - didn't mean to irritate you (or worse...)...

Danny

Oh, you totally didn't! That was meant more as a joke than an expression of irritation.

Rune. Humor is hard to convey without facial expressions.

10 hours ago, PointySideUp said:

Gilly Base Flotation finished :)

It's always awesome to see my stuff getting used, thanks! :)

In other news, the link for the new Claymore is up. Now with 100% less random explosions!

Rune. Enjoy!

Edited by Rune

I've put up a new version of the modular base, with not-so-minor bugfixes that should make it once again deployable in high-gravity worlds. Basically, the rover is lower to account for the saggier suspensions (use its rockets to line up modules for connection if need be, now that it's lower), and the Hab got an up-righting accessory like the refinery and the lab. Quicksave before playing with it is even more recommended, though. The new legs are quite explosive, and you've got to do stuff like extend the ones on the corridors upside down, then roll them the right way up.

Rune. Thank Kod for amazingly powerful reaction wheels.

I found my Duna lander jumping 30 m into the air, leaving the cargo ramps back on the ground, after switching scenes and back... Luckily i managed to re-land it, even with side attached habitat.

The loose ramps started to sneak around the lander later... I bet they did other creepy stuff, when nobody looked... Then Catly accidently touched a landing leg and it puffed into dust...

Some physics are in need of some serious fixing...

Edited by Frank_G

2 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

Having annihilated landing legs numerous times lately by simply walking a kerbal past them, I feel like this is something of an understatement.

Yup, they need a serious bugfixing. Surprising, considering how well they used to work, but hey, if it's the price of unity V, well, I'll pay it gladly until the next game version.

48 minutes ago, Frank_G said:

I found my Duna lander jumping 30 m into the air, leaving the cargo ramps back on the ground, after switching scenes and back... Luckily i managed to re-land it, even with side attached habitat.

The loose ramps started to sneak around the lander later... I bet they did other creepy stuff, when nobody looked... Then Catly accidently touched a landing leg and it puffed into dust...

Some physics are in need of some serious fixing...

Handling landed things has always been tricky, but yeah, nowadays, it's doubly so. And form my limited experiments, the game appears to dislike clipping even more than usual these days!

Rune. Good that I had drifted to a minimal clipping build style already, right?

Just now, Rune said:

Yup, they need a serious bugfixing. Surprising, considering how well they used to work, but hey, if it's the price of unity V, well, I'll pay it gladly until the next game version.

Handling landed things has always been tricky, but yeah, nowadays, it's doubly so. And form my limited experiments, the game appears to dislike clipping even more than usual these days!

Rune. Good that I had drifted to a minimal clipping build style already, right?

Chaps, adding a strut to a landing leg does wonders for stability. They are still weak but less 'jumpy'. I say less as they are still very twitchy.

Also I have not seen any issues with part 'clipping' in these newer versions except legs and the only reason they have issues is that it's tied to the overall brokenness of legs in the .dot version of Unity we are using. Squad cannot have them disable their clipping when part of the same craft as before so they collide with other parts. This will all be moot once they fix the legs and wheels as it is all part of the same problem. Clipping is as safe and productive as it has always been. :wink:

Edited by Majorjim

5 hours ago, Majorjim said:

Chaps, adding a strut to a landing leg does wonders for stability. They are still weak but less 'jumpy'. I say less as they are still very twitchy.

Also I have not seen any issues with part 'clipping' in these newer versions except legs and the only reason they have issues is that it's tied to the overall brokenness of legs in the .dot version of Unity we are using. Squad cannot have them disable their clipping when part of the same craft as before so they collide with other parts. This will all be moot once they fix the legs and wheels as it is all part of the same problem. Clipping is as safe and productive as it has always been. :wink:

They are not jumpy when the scene is properly initialized. It only happens, when you switch to the craft from outside its physics range and with my lander it only happened once... As you say, part clipping seems to have nothing to do with it.

53 minutes ago, Frank_G said:

They are not jumpy when the scene is properly initialized. It only happens, when you switch to the craft from outside its physics range and with my lander it only happened once... As you say, part clipping seems to have nothing to do with it.

Not the jumping no. They do clip into the craft they are a part of though. That will be fixed when 1.2 come around.

Just something I forgot to mention earlier, but in my first successful landing of the Orca back in 1.0.5, I was amazed by its maneuverability. I run with EVE installed, you see, and my approach to the KSC runway came in hot through a layer of cumulogranite. Activated the RCS thrusters and managed to squeeze between two peaks, with a touch-and-go on the plateau between them before bringing the ship down to leisurely approach path.

19 hours ago, SingABrightSong said:

Just something I forgot to mention earlier, but in my first successful landing of the Orca back in 1.0.5, I was amazed by its maneuverability. I run with EVE installed, you see, and my approach to the KSC runway came in hot through a layer of cumulogranite. Activated the RCS thrusters and managed to squeeze between two peaks, with a touch-and-go on the plateau between them before bringing the ship down to leisurely approach path.

Thanks! I'm rather proud of it. :) The trick is that since the CoM doesn't move at all with the fuel level (symmetric fuel tanks FTW), I could put the CoL right on top of it, and the big vertical stabilizer meant that in a worst case scenario it would still try to point its nose forward. Couple that with plenty of control authority to handle the big moment of inertia (vernors are awesome, BTW), and it handles like a jet fighter even tough it is quite massive.

16 hours ago, Youdontknowme said:

@Rune I always dig your crafts man, keep on rockin. 

Glad you like them!

Rune. Will certainly try to.

1 hour ago, Werty said:

what altitude reach the longsword with a orange tank??

thanks

Not much, given that it is pretty much its maximum payload. Say, about 100kms or so. But it's much newer bigger brother, the Claymore, would reach considerably higher with a mere 36mT in the bay. Look for the newest version on my KerbalX page until I actually update the OP, which I have been badly neglecting for months now. :blush:

Rune. That one is actually up to date, which is also important. :wink:

Edited by Rune

5 hours ago, Rune said:

I get the point, I'll see if I can upload the file to KerbalX this evening at some point, for the early adopters to test out and tell me the glaring errors I'm making (I can already spot one, can you guess what is it?). Thanks for the replikes, everyone! :)

Hey, I didn't miss an arbitrary deadline! That's new... :rolleyes:

Anyhow, it's up. In case you don't know what I'm talking about, suffice it to say it's a contender for the '1.1 White Dart' crown. Which means something, at least to me. I'm still deciding exactly what. Anyhow, pics!

1q9URQJ.png

smO3G0H.png

BWeNre9.png

Rune. Grab yours here! Feedback welcome. :)

Edited by Rune

22 hours ago, Rune said:

Anyhow, it's up. In case you don't know what I'm talking about, suffice it to say it's a contender for the '1.1 White Dart' crown. Which means something, at least to me. I'm still deciding exactly what. Anyhow, pics!

The docking port...is on the bottom?? Blasphemy. :sticktongue:

15 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

Hehehe... I know! It's like, I dunno, I wanted to make it easy to dock without hitting the tail, or having access to the cargo bay while docked or something! For shame... :D

15 hours ago, Planetfall said:

Sleek

Thanks!

Rune. Proud heretic.

19 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

I... have to confess, that i use inline docking ports almost... exclusively that way... as Rune said: Its easier to dock that way.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, long time no speak!

I've done a lot of stuff since we last spoke (got the new magic boulder, landed on Tylo etc). Recently, I sent up a probe with the new Gold HECS probe core and an ion drive, to do a flyby of Tylo and Laythe (practicing gravity slingshots). Anyway, I grabbed some science etc, and im trying to get it back. Got an encounter, but not enough dV to capture, so ill be dunking straight into the atmosphere if I want it back. Problem THERE is its got no chutes or heatshields - I wanted to get some low Jool atmosphere science, but realised I already had it. So here it is, headed straight for a firey death on Kerbin. I figured I could grab it though. It'd require a lot of fuel to match its approach. I need an SSTO. Put a grabber claw in the bay, strip out anything I don't need, and the dV won't be a problem. Trouble here is getting one with a big enough bay. And after I deleted a bunch of craft when 'clearing up' my folders, I now only have the Orca in my arsenal. It can do it, but im worried about throwing it into the atmosphere at about 5000m/s. I'd prefer a claymore, but the download links aren't working, you aren't to blame don't worry. Anyway, this'll be exciting! I'll keep you posted, good catching up!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.