[20/11/2014][0.25] FTmN Atomic Rockets

Kommitz

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I like to think they've improved markedly since the first versions.

Any chance you could make some 3.75m and 5m engines?

I'll consider a 3.75m part, but for 5m diameter craft I'd just suggest using multiple engines.

Currently deciding how to texture the fueltanks I made, they should be included in the next update. I'm going to do a few strut bits to go with them, as currently most of the strut sets seem to be dead and I really like strutty looking interplanetary craft.

fjWf8Od.png?1

I'll consider a 3.75m part, but for 5m diameter craft I'd just suggest using multiple engines.

Yeah, I'm not sure I really need a 5m.. =)

The problem with multiple rockets engines, though, is that even with kerbal joint reinforcement the strength scales hugely with the diameter of the connection and if you've got a tall (because of FAR) 3.5m rocket with multiple 2.5m engines somewhere in the middle of it, it snaps in half right where the 2.5m engines are, and I'm having a heck of a time trying to engineer around that problem (even with a ton of KW rocketry 220,000-strength struts as superglue on every joint). A single 3.5m part with multiple 2.5m models in it would also work fine, kind of like this one only scaled up (and with your models): http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/double-nerva-3/

Been looking around and I can't find a 3.5m nuke in any parts pack anywhere..

The problem with multiple rockets engines, though, is that even with kerbal joint reinforcement the strength scales hugely with the diameter of the connection and if you've got a tall (because of FAR) 3.5m rocket with multiple 2.5m engines somewhere in the middle of it, it snaps in half right where the 2.5m engines are, and I'm having a heck of a time trying to engineer around that problem (even with a ton of KW rocketry 220,000-strength struts as superglue on every joint.

I made this a while back but never finished the part, and I don't regularly use 3.5m parts though so forgive the very basic setup:

http://youtu.be/NjvDYWdtIUM

Basically it's an interstage part that has attach points for multiple engines, and uses the fairing module to build a shroud. The fairing has its own attach point at the bottom. Fixed height because I'm not a plugin dev, but I think it might be useful and I'll see about tidying it up and putting it up for download because I think it should help with the problem.

It was originally going to be part of my own small collection of rocket parts which may or may not materialise eventually.

Yeah, I'm not sure I really need a 5m.. =)

The problem with multiple rockets engines, though, is that even with kerbal joint reinforcement the strength scales hugely with the diameter of the connection and if you've got a tall (because of FAR) 3.5m rocket with multiple 2.5m engines somewhere in the middle of it, it snaps in half right where the 2.5m engines are, and I'm having a heck of a time trying to engineer around that problem (even with a ton of KW rocketry 220,000-strength struts as superglue on every joint). A single 3.5m part with multiple 2.5m models in it would also work fine, kind of like this one only scaled up (and with your models): http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/double-nerva-3/

Been looking around and I can't find a 3.5m nuke in any parts pack anywhere..

depending on just which 2.5m engines you're talking about, your problem might actually be unset breakingForce / breakingTorque on the parts. if not set in the config file it defaults to something really low. I use a MM config that checks for missing breakingForce / breakingTorque and adds them at 1000 each if not found. I'm typing on my ipad so I dont have it handy but I've posted it a few times or had it reposted by others. Check the KJR thread and use search to find posts with breakingForce

I made this a while back but never finished the part, and I don't regularly use 3.5m parts though so forgive the very basic setup:

Basically it's an interstage part that has attach points for multiple engines, and uses the fairing module to build a shroud. The fairing has its own attach point at the bottom. Fixed height because I'm not a plugin dev, but I think it might be useful and I'll see about tidying it up and putting it up for download because I think it should help with the problem.

It was originally going to be part of my own small collection of rocket parts which may or may not materialise eventually.

Yeah that'd be awesome. There are some parts that are converters that go to multiple stacks, but really I just want a piece that has a top and bottom that are the large diameter and then accept a few smaller diameter pieces 'inside' of it, and then let the sides and bottom eject kind of like a stage separator, leaving the top piece and the insides still attached. That looks more or less like exactly what you were building there... Procedural heights on the outside farings would be awesome if you could pull that off...

(and thanks for the tip on breaking{force,torque} starwaster...)

• 2 weeks later...

As well it should because it's just a parts set.

Was planning on uploading tonight, but got distracted when finishing textures. I'll polish this up and upload an update tomorrow.

New set will make use of custom sounds implemented with the new FX modules, and I will look to uploading another update as soon as I get the new particle effects working.

ftmn40.jpg

Here's the new FTmN 40 work in progress.

eurobritrockets.png

Also as something else I'm thinking about, a vaguely European/British styled bunch of parts that are designed to look more advanced further up the tech tree. Something I miss in the likes of NP and KW is a bit of variety in the engine styles.

Buuut this is for another thread eventually, and I'll probably find a way to tie it in with another pet project of mine...

Edited by Kommitz

Here's the new FTmN 40 work in progress.

Just when my newest Reusable Khetane lifting vehicle that used the FTmN 40 landed on my minmus base after a day of big troubles and now this....

Anyway i know you will make this old-model-Keeping as you did whit the old FTmN series.

PD: Im still waiting for my 0.625 duckie engine!

I have been largely overcome by christmas laziness and probably won't push out an update for another few days now.

On the other hand I'm going to try and also release those tanks I showed a while back, I've just been tweaking the sizes and geometry to make them chunkier looking. Also large strut parts.

screenshot4.png

Partial disassembly during launch... Near future used to put interesting bits on the end of the arms.

Update is out! Check the first post or spaceport to see what's in it.

As for future updates, I think I'd better stop making any promises on deadlines because I'm generally working on multiple things at a time and get easily distracted...

But in the works I have that big strut and fueltank set, which should go nicely with the engines for making some proper deep-space looking craft, and an engine stats rework.

What I want to do is change the engines to be a bit more 'realistic' with regards to their stats, but at the same time I think the changes could be beneficial for gameplay in KSP generally.

Currently they are just statted like the stock LV-N, which makes no sense.

I'm thinking of changing the engines to work more like methane nuclear engines, which would have greater thrust than (typical) hydrogen nuclear engines but a lower Isp. Basically change the engines to just use LiquidFuel, increase the thrust by maybe 1.5 or so and drop the Isp down to 600. Doing this would necessitate using Modular Fuel Tanks plugin to keep things from getting confusing with the stock fuel tanks, but I can always leave the current configs available as an alternative.

Anyway I'll focus on making new parts first. I'm working on another project aside from this at the moment though so it might take even longer than usual.

The fuel tank doesn't seem to be integrated into the the tech tree :o

Should be fixed now.

New parts look great. Would you consider also making some strutted fuel tanks similar to the Troy Mars Mission Concept? With gold foil texture and separate LF and OX tanks.

I've already got separate cylindrical and spherical tanks done, but I'm not planning on giving them a gold foil texture. Will release them eventually, although rather than giving them fixed amounts of fuel I think I'll just bundle Modular Fuel Tanks with them.

I'm thinking of changing the engines to work more like methane nuclear engines, which would have greater thrust than (typical) hydrogen nuclear engines but a lower Isp. Basically change the engines to just use LiquidFuel, increase the thrust by maybe 1.5 or so and drop the Isp down to 600. Doing this would necessitate using Modular Fuel Tanks plugin to keep things from getting confusing with the stock fuel tanks, but I can always leave the current configs available as an alternative.

FWIW, I think this is a good idea. This would help further distinguish your parts, and would fill a niche in nuclear engines.

Also, the other parts you've been mentioning will be quite welcome. There actually isn't a lot of variety in structural parts (well, not as much as there is in flashier parts like engines or power systems).

Edited by yeliabmit
removing superfluous tags

Thank you Kommitz, these are really good. I think I'm with you on making these methane nuclear rockets. In fact I'm already modifying the cfg's :) This gives your parts a very good niche to be in. I'm just not sure how good I want them to be in the atmosphere.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.