Cupcake's Dropship Dealership...

Cupcake I was gonna offer to convert all your dropships over to .25 using the Redux mod, but that pic doesn't look too bad. I''ll still do it if you want to offer a .24 and .25 version.

Thanks man! :) I really appreciate the offer but don't worry, I'll upgrade my craft like everyone else. It'll certainly give me a good excuse for doing some build videos. :wink: Anyway guys, sorry if I don't reply to your comments for a while but I'm gonna have to keep my head down and study for the next three weeks or so. :(

Cupcake...

Have you ever thought of making an amphibious VTOL?

2M8URHL.png

It has a REALLY bad habit of bouncing when you hit the ocean and knocking out the engines, but if you get it right, about 1/3rd throttle and pitch totally fwd gets some boat action going on.

Made a few changes since the screenshot, but here it is if anyone wants it: http://www./view/9m8khtv8w3skgcb

(EDIT: the only non standard action group is 1 for toggling engines. It's set for around a 2 TWR, so 1/2 throttle is "hover")

Also, school > everything else so don't feel bad disappearing LOL :D Good luck and all that :D

• 4 weeks later...
I thought up of a new craft design idea... something a bit easier to control (than a VTOL that requires you to cancel out all motion if you want to land/hover)' date=' and a bit more like a plane.

Anyways, do you remember me? :)[/quote']

Of course! It hasn't been that long has it? :) But yeah, post some pics of your idea when you get a chance, I'd like to see it.

Cupcake...

Hey Cupcake, I wonder if I could fit one of your smaller VTOLs in this:

http://i.imgur.com/upcz9vx.png

http://i.imgur.com/OGJ9AnK.png

:P Glad to see you're back in business!

What a beast! :0.0: Tell me, what's the part count on that thing? As for cargo I've got the Roach which was kind of designed as a parasite fighter.

ja0XbTR.jpg

Doesn't quite fit in the Mk2 cargo bay, however once we get the MK3 parts... :wink:

Also for anyone that missed it...

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

Glad to see you're back!

Me too. My dropships were starting to look a bit neglected. :blush:

That looks really cool. Maybe a smaller, drone vtol in a vtol? VTOLception! Like a mini scout or something :)

I really need to work on the amphibious vtol I posted a while back. Maybe take 2 on a rocket to Eve.....

I have been playing round with drone designs but I think I'll wait till we get the Mk3 cargo bays. Good luck tuning your amphibious VTOL, more pics please. :D

Cupcake...

• 2 weeks later...

It has been an amazing two months. I would finally, proudly, like to announce to completion of:

ECHO'S KERBOL GRAND TOUR

(Ultimate Jool-5 Jebediah's Level + Grand Tour + 17 Reddit Weekly Challenges)

Fantastic work well done! I really enjoyed the last video espcecially, it worked really well with the music. It's a very complicated mission but you really pulled it off, very gracefully too, kind of like orbital ballet. :cool:

Cupcake...

I'm a little sad I didn't have time to get better camera angles, what with having to land on 14 celestial bodies. I'll definitely take time to take those when I'm working with RSS, though.

What made the last video special? I didn't really like that one, personally. I'd like to know what I did right for future reference, if you could please help me.

Also, you say graceful, but all I see is over 1000 parts and several thousand tons.

ECHO'S KERBOL GRAND TOUR

(Ultimate Jool-5 Jebediah's Level + Grand Tour + 17 Reddit Weekly Challenges)

Absolutely amazing! :D I can barely design a craft that has enough dV to do an orbit tour of Jool/moons and return, that can actually launch in the first place :blush:

I'm a little sad I didn't have time to get better camera angles, what with having to land on 14 celestial bodies. I'll definitely take time to take those when I'm working with RSS, though.

What made the last video special? I didn't really like that one, personally. I'd like to know what I did right for future reference, if you could please help me.

Also, you say graceful, but all I see is over 1000 parts and several thousand tons.

I just really enjoyed the scale of the video, it was amazing to see you lining up all these crazy orbits all over the system! :D I also really liked just how you managed the mission and the way your little landers constantly morphed into different vessels by docking with nuclear engines etc... I was kind of a bit confused in places as to what was happening but after a while I just stopped trying to figure it out and just enjoyed the spectacle of the vistas and the music. :wink:

Cupcake...

Cupcake, I just watched your building video.

Using HyperEdit to check that your center of mass is in front of your center of thrust is sort of unnecessarily time-consuming. RCS Build Aid can do that for you in the SPH.

You're quite right, but I think it's worth showing people how to do it in the vanilla/stock game enviroment and it's easier to explain the principles behind VTOL balance that way. :)

Cupcake...

While my first Jool grand tour was ultimately successful it was something of a shambles from an operational point of view. With that said I'd quite like to have another crack at it with a more stripped back, light weight setup. To this end I've been playing around with Tylo lander designs...

03L26G5.jpg

Hmmmm, it works but somethings not quite there... :(

M7mTAew.jpg

That's more like it. :)

WACheBi.jpg

While I kind of designed it as a disposable Tylo lander I must admit I've grown quite attached to it. The hull design is actually rather versatile and I foresee quite a few different variants coming through... :wink:

Cupcake...

GUzDgi1.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.