Vanilla or Mods?

Lobo1544

There's too much that's just not possible without mods. I like to use as much stock stuff as possible while using parts that increase the capability of things I build without giving them a leg up in terms of engine efficiency or fuel payload versus weight.

Sometimes I just wanna try and land the Buran from the Soviet Pack without needing to spend a week trying to build a balanced shuttle and launcher system, you know? There are some things I'd never get around to doing without mods to make getting to the problem possible.

Well, in just 1 day 2 more pages :P

Atanar: Let me explain my position further:

First off, I don't hate mods. If you play with mods it's your thing. But I don't want to be told that I should use mods.

Full-time working devellopers generally do a better job than hobby modders. Modders have a tendency of not optimising, neither conflicts with other mods nor performance. They add too much often and mess badly with game balance. My experience with other games (minecraft for example) has shown me that. Stuff from modders is so rarely good that it's hardly worth the efford looking. And I want to play with properly made stuff.

Look, I give you the reason that if you dont have time to be selective with the mods that you use and after install erase all the parts that you not use it comes a point when the experience is negative.

And yes, modders often add too much without care very much in the final result.

But all the things that Eric said was also truth, the dev team cant do everything. And many things that are made by modders fix better than the actual parts.

For example, what is the excuse to not add -Subassembly Loader or -Actions On The Fly?

If you said that you dont like the other things is ok, but if you have problems with things like those it seems more a problem of fanaticism than reason.

About blainstorming, etc... look counter strike, dota, linux, etc etc.. All those things are made from home without any organization or solid work structure.

CoriW

I am agree with the list of mechjeb users :)

I have recntly have been playing with a few mods, which I like, but they just add TOO MANY PARTS (cough cough KW Rocketry). I think I'm going to delete all the mods and start a new game. So I was wondering what you have to say on the subject. Do you play with mods? what are the pros and cons of playing with them?

I loaded 8 million tons of parts mods, built out the ships I needed for my missions. I saved the .craft files, nuked and reloaded KSP only to find I really only used about 10 parts outside the stock and KSPX packs. I found those few parts, added them in and that's the load I use now.

Mods are a big part of KSP. Don't forget that Nova, C7, Clara Lyrae and Romfarer were all modders before they got hired by Squad.

Tell that to the person here who said that having no mods improves synergy in the community.

After playing for 6 months or so in vanilla I've recently installed mods that make the game more about role-playing. I have RemoteTech for probe comms, MapSat for scoping potential landing sites, Kethane for mining resources from other bodies, and I had a life support mod but it was too buggy. I wish I could find another one that worked like the one I had. I would also have FAR installed, but it seems to break my game too much.

I have KSPX as well for extra parts. Some of them are really useful.

Due to chronic inability of KSP devs to deliver just about anything within reasonable timelines (3 months for useless flags? C'mon), mods are the only game in town. If it wouldn't be for mods, I would've apandoned KSP long time ago.

Due to chronic inability of KSP devs to deliver just about anything within reasonable timelines (3 months for useless flags? C'mon), mods are the only game in town. If it wouldn't be for mods, I would've apandoned KSP long time ago.
People like you make me sick. You obviously have no idea about developing software and how hard it is.

People like you make me sick. You obviously have no idea about developing software and how hard it is.

Miss. I'm a software developer for over 10 years and I know that 3 months is hell a lot of time for a team of 5 devs (I think that's what Squad has got). If organized and planned well, team like that could develop KSP itself up to the current state in this time.

The problem is not the lack of technical expertise in dev team (they are obviously technically proficient), but lack of good management and planning. This whole situation ("Let's do resources! Oh, not - let's do seats! Oh, no - let's better do flags!") just screams that, and it's obvious to anyone who is long enough in this industry.

Edited by asmi

Miss. I'm a software developer for over 10 years and I know that 3 months is hell a lot of time for a team of 5 devs (I think that's what Squad has got). If organized and planned well, team like that could develop KSP itself up to the current state in this time.

The problem is not the lack of technical expertise in dev team (they are obviously technically proficient), but lack of good management and planning. This whole situation ("Let's do resources! Oh, not - let's do seats! Oh, no - let's better do flags!") just screams that, and it's obvious to anyone who is long enough in this industry.

Well then, we're waiting for your well-planned, good-organized Space Sim/Sandbox game, I'm sure that if you outdo KSP you will receive a lot of good reviews as this game already has :)

Due to chronic inability of KSP devs to deliver just about anything within reasonable timelines
They told you the game was a work in progress before you bought it, and they committed to no timeline for its development. In what way do you feel they have let you down? This kind of attitude really grates my cheese. Squad gets a rash of manure if they don't flood their media outlets with constant announcements of new features, and then they get a rash of manure if any of those provisional release times are 10 minutes late. Can't we just leave the guys alone to work on the game in peace? I'd rather they spent their time adding to the game the game than TELLING us that they're adding to the game.

Hi,

Mods make the game; 'vanilla' only gives the Kebals a basic understanding of their space future; it is up to them to advance or not.

My Kerbals will advance, in such a way as to advance slowly, with patience and perserverence.

They will learn alot of thing about life and science.

As you can see, MODS are what make the game; as it seems this was intended.

Cdr Zeta

In my opinion, the only mods you really NEED to get a nice, complete set of parts are Kethane, Mechjeb, Kerbal Attachment System (KSA), and KSPX. I personally have some others, but those aren't really needed. With the mods above, you should have a loadtime that is near-stock.

I can see Kethane being useful, but I find that MJ takes away from the game. You only need the stock propulsion parts for anything less than Jool ascent, but other things like KAS and QuantumStrut help make the game better. Personally, I try to do things completely stock unless mods are part of the point (like setting up a mining base or a mapping satillite).

Guys, relax. He was clearly just saying the exact opposite of what he meant.

I mean, there's no way someone could be this dumb, right?

Right??

I only use mods which do not add rocket parts. Like ISA MapSat, Figaro GPS, Graphotron, Weights collection or Vanguard personal parachute.

The most useful is Kerbal Engineer Redux. It saves from calculating dV by hand and shows nice interception information. I find it more useful than Protractor.

Also, Damned Robotics and Kerbal Attachment System both add a lot of fun to ground activities.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.