What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I built a crane for a rather large building project I have only to realize when I started to think of how to get it where I needed that I had built it way, way, way too big (the base not the crane). So I turned the speed way up the the rotating bit attached a kerbal and sent him for a ride... until it destroyed itself from spinning too much... At least he appeared to have fun.

screenshot14_zpssazrmaio.png

Then I disposed of some excess pilots (please squad, allow us a way to stack the astronaut complex with whatever class we actually need so I don't have to hire 5 pilots just to clear it and get a afew more engineers).

screenshot17_zpspjpmufaa.png

Ahhhh, the first day of a new career!

On their way to investigate the old Kerpollo 1 site, the pocket of fresh squeezed orange suits enjoy first flight together on the Salamander.

t90vzOZ.png

Finally a successful dock via Training, lots of patience there.

AC15D592C6605D8AE71998A34807E46298D3D36D

Sent another probe to Mun cause last two that were sent for 2 diff. contracts, one was successful while the other was A) going the wrong direction orbit wise and B)was missing a materials bay which I must have missed during construction or overlooked it cause there isn't anything labeled materials bay in the parts list so Science Jr. it is. Am now ready to go back to Mun again for Explore the Mun contract, and maybe some Temp. and Survey Contracts of it as well.

09AEA64A06AB2F3EE445B031A0DC71E12F27BD17

0CD5EC3199925CA70AC71FCB81453F8806F335EB

A76BBAB44041A7B08529D737FEFA549BBEFC9A88

8D81AE63337D1E0883B6F6B34F2B2FAA0FFA08F7

838EC31414C945951D19BACF8E90A651BCF32A75

09CA1FDF42B77723C13D29C029370765D81C00CD

9DEAD8754205248A4B749F2B0EF91585E22DCA0C

2DACA2D0FEB466B390A7DA2CC09C62AAB0AD6D00

This is the new one

A1617470BCA01D6FA95BEFE0EA0F0009B9C85919

Not today, but two days ago, I completed my first orbital rendezvous, and then repeated the feat twice more. After playing for more than a year and NOT GETTING IT, it was a huge triumph to finally have it 'click' and understand what I needed to do to make it happen.

Now on to those bigger orbital projects...

Admired the classic lines of my Mun-return probe. I don't know why, but something about it seems rather... manly.

qycqrOV.jpg

I took Abraham Lincoln into orbit.

Well. That's the thread over guys, everyone else can go home!

Had a reasonably busy weekend; Jeb arrived in Minmus orbit (finally) aboard Free Bird 7 with Bob and a group of tourists along for the ride. With an extra seat aboard Free Bird, Jeb went ahead and conducted a rescue of Burris Kerman, a pilot who had managed to get himself stuck up there. While Jeb was undergoing the orbital rendezvous ops, Berris and her group of tourists and KSC engineering staff visited the surface of the Mun, having docked Straight Flush 7 at Munport 7 and taken the station's Buggy on down for flag-planting ops. They likewise had an extra seat so they went ahead and picked up Lucilla from the Mute City 7 base; contrary to expectations a great deal of Mun surface and flag planting contracts had not been received and Lucilla was begin to show signs of dementia from her extended stay on Mun, so it was time for her to come on back. The Buggy was re-docked at Munport and then Straight Flush un-docked from the station. Straight Flush did not have enough fuel to head back to Kerbin so a fuel pod for the station was sent up, extending the ship's visit there by an extra day. Orbital rendezvous ops for the fuel pod was ongoing at the same time that Jeb was making his final rendezvous with Burris's pod, which made for a busy evening. Burris was successfully rescued and Jeb went ahead and steered Free Bird in for docking ops at the Minmusport 7 base; Bob joined Kacella in operation of the base's science lab there and meanwhile Jeb is awaiting the arrival of Minmusport's Buggy, after which he'll take some of his tourists down. Straight Flush, meanwhile, is headed back to Kerbin at this point, the emptied fuel pod having been delivered to Munport.

On top of all of this is Valentina's history-making sun-dive attempt aboard Sundiver 7. She and her crew of two scientists and two tourists successfully left Kerbin's SOI, becoming the first Kerbals to do so, headed out towards a bi-elliptical transfer near the orbit of Jool. They will reach periapsis in 27 days and make the final boost out to Jool's orbit at that point, and then in a year or so they'll be making the sundiving attempt. I'm concerned that I may not have given them sufficient delta-V to return to Kerbin afterwards...and Val has not had much luck with tourists in this career save...but I'm still somewhat hopeful for success. As long as I don't blow up that nuclear engine they're using...

2015-07-07_00002_zpsow7hrcsb.jpg

Made a pretty snazzy looking SSTO(testing).

Noticeable features:

- Forward cargo compartment.

- 110m/s liftoff speed.

- Can't fly backwards. (snaps in two before it happens)

Incredible Discovery: Able to bleed off 4-500 m/s without snapping in two. No airbrakes needed.

(direct pull upwards, flare)

Edited by TimePeriod

I continued the preparations for the Dres mission by refueling the ship that had just returned from Tylo. Of course, payloads are so cheap that refueling missions don't make that much sense. It's almost always more cost-effective to launch a new ship and complete some trivial contract instead.

fuel_tanker_1.jpeg

This seems to be my new standard for launching heavy payloads: the payload in the middle and two rockets at its sides.

fuel_tanker_2.jpeg

I started a new career mode game, and when I started getting tourist contracts, Jeb and Val started one-upping each other fulfilling them. First, Val took four tourists suborbital (read: flew straight up until their apoapsis was 75km, then used the rest of her fuel to make sure they slowed down enough for parachute deployment to be safe). Jeb only took three tourists with him on his next mission, but he took them to orbit, despite them only wanting to go suborbital. Finally, Val took just two tourists (who actually did want to go to orbit) to orbit with her, and decided to do it in style by doing so in one stage. At this point, Jeb gave up and let her have the win.

ermagerd

finally got my STS to work

had to get rid of the big honking SpaceY SRB; it was causing yawing and pitching while going transonic. I put two KickBack SRB on either side of the Big Orange Tank and it worked fine.

Even took it up to a high orbit so I could sync with KSS and dock!

Huzzah!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Didn't do much, but I stretched my meagre image-futzing skills to the absolute limit and made a flag :cool: :

sPPEbSA.png

GIMP L×Ãâ€Ã¯ÃËœIÃâ„¢GS Fäï MÃâ€Ãší ì×ØíFIT GLäïIäæS æSSÃâ€Ã¯I æÃâ„¢IäÃËœ!

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

Redesigned this today to act as a tweakable texture-change on the stock fuel lines, rather than adding new parts.

*snip*

My gamedata folder is fat enough already... Stop giving it a bigger spoon!

Had one of those ninety-minute nights last night; used it to land a Vulture 7 resupply plane after it had delivered a load of fuel to the New Horizons space station, and then launched a new habitat module for New Horizons. Not much to be said about either flight, though I was very happy to land the Vulture. The first three Vulture missions didn't end all that well; I at least managed to save the plane on the third mission, which was then that I had the notion that what the design really needed was larger landing gear. I'd futzed around with the design and launched it to re-supply the station. Night before last I went to land it and FAR underflowed, plowing the craft into the ocean after a nice, beautiful arcing ballistic dive. Fortunately I'd quicksaved prior to the de-orbit burn; last night I did the de-orbit first thing, and this time around she felt like flying. Overshot KSC 09 on the first approach but I was able to get turned around and made a successful landing on KSC 27; first time in a while that nothing broke either during takeoff, during re-entry, or upon landing, so I was quite happy with the design changes overall. Probably going to keep that plane as my main resupply craft until I gain access to Mk3 parts.

Let's see, got home yesterday from work, hopped on Steam then straight to KSP to get caught up on contracts and personal itinerary since i'm heading out of town on business tomorrow, first thing was to finish getting to Inland KSC with a modified stock game vehicle and Nancy. Got ready to land there and wife comes home from dropping step-daughter off at friends across town, I hit F5 to save and escape to pause mid approach to assist with my 5 month old and comeback to machine and think I hit escape again, when my screen goes dark and monitor goes into sleep mode, but machine is still running. Well .... I hit the sleep button on the keyboard instead of escape smooth criminal. Get screen back up and hit escape after I see i'm back in game and can hear engines but still see pause menu, crap now what? Alt-tab to windows and back to KSP, nothing. Task manager to end task ok, killed KSP. Now reopen KSP nope Steam says App is still running, uh no its not, I have task manager open and see that its not shown in any processes, etc. Close out of steam, log out of steam won't let me sense it says KSP is still running, huh. go back to task manager, and find steam process or whatever it's called, kill it. Open it back up log in, get on ksp, and F9 it to where I was at, making approach about to touch down, and "Honey, come get your son and bathe him" get that done, come back and with son in one arm, successfully land at Inland KSC with one hand, 'Mad Skills' as my Step-Daughter would say. Then I explore the area and stick a flag there next to Launch Pad (bad idea cause later it seams this will cause a conflict with launching at normal KSC-lesson learned later) Anyhow I also parked jet next to Pad, walk around a bit, come back and parking brake came off and rolled me into the pad, so, now I cannot take off, no known reverse for me, then I realize I can push this thing with my Pilots head on the intake underneath yay, this looks rather goofy but works, kinda. took about an hour of me doing this to where the jet would stand still and let me grab ladder or front landing gear and climb up and leave, did so took off and headed towards impact crater west of there, run out of fuel dump two nacelles and glide to a landing no where near where I wanted, but no biggie. Recover. No onto contracts, first up build a munar lander with some tourists in it, experiments on it as well to transmit and all to fulfill Explore the Mun contract, and parts of tourist fly by Mun, and temp, and survey mun contracts as well. Launch get up there and start getting an orbit of Kerbin and thanks to the lovely control interface of this game, and the fact I didn't put any kind of real SAS to lock onto for this I am flying this mission basically on manual, and burn 3/4 through my fuel of what I was gonna use to transfer to Mun encounter, and to create orbit around Mun while creating orbit of Kerbin. Get to min and dump stage of transfer/orbit engine stage, start landing phase with real eye on the ground so as to not kill tourists and pilots, which speaking of tourist why haven't I gotten a message of complete part of fly by of Mun, oh for some reason the game didn't take me as clicking the tourists into the hitchhiker as assigning them. anyways, get closer to ground and realize I'm on a landing course of the night side of Mun this should be fun, 20 min later me hitting burn to help slow down descent when I shouldn't have been doing since my other fuel got burnt up creating this descent and will need it to head home, but this is first celestial landing for me, which landing went great since I've been reading folks issues with landing on Mun, I see I'm coming in at a decent speed and have some horizontal movement and that'll tip me over so I either burn in that direction or use RCS to assist in killing that movement and touch down, shutdown engines, yeah. No fuel left, oh well with panels extended, I wait for sun, eva, flag, sample, report, run experiments and send them back with transmitter, and get my contract complete, yeah!!!, Now I need to mount a rescue of some sorts...to be continued...

7C25E3462A57DF645DB07FA53BD8041CA2D540AA

561CA8507B17674182AE93DE30088BAE17487850

72ECD3642FEC25C6949273014C3A3FB8E4A54141

EDC33119D897C8E12F57A5BB934BE1EA72454988

C17A7366264FC75EADD9ACA66D1763B9E7082C30

3309D5F2B54BBC8381BEE1B4D5413E273C5425B4

7506FBC40F7BBECDB09565FC06ACBF412DF77DFF

E3AB19F745DFB471A3EB73D6376F36500B4CB804

6051040DBF565B84A6F199FD848A34108C50C5A9

B1A05384B0417C801E9BBB1F7DE4E97BB7ED7A3A

Set up my modded install and built a satellite to check out the new Ore scanning as well as that from the venerable Kethane mod.

18916532573_0769745664_b.jpg

This was a nuisance. I had nasty VAB lag, problems with docking ports not acting as decoupler, seemingly random thermal runaway events making bits blow up (and it has two deployable radiators on the back!), and my own lack of docking skill. I evidently need to do some bug-hunting and may be forced to axe some mods.

First launch ever in nuFAR too, it seemed much like the old FAR.

Built a decoupler propulsion rocket. It kinda worked, poorly.

Tried to build a medium-sized SSTO, failed to reach orbit.

Tried the Asteroid tutorial, crashed into the asteroid.