What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I don't have any screenshots to share, alas, because I was so totally in the moment the whole time, but today I pulled off my first ever successful rescue of a Kerbalnaught from low-Kerbin-orbit.

By far, it was the toughest thing I've done in the game so far.  There is a reason I managed a manned Mun landing many hours before a rescue.  The Kerbalnaught in question was "Madvie Kerbin", brave pilot of my first succesful orbital shot, and stranded in said orbit since then.  I'd previously tried to rescue them, but a lack of thought in vehicle build, and skill at piloting, at the least, precluded success.

But after some hours (quite literally) chipping away at the 'docking' tutorial (which, despite my subsequent rant, delivered great value to me in real terms, despite its faults), and reading about 'pushing the marble', and after getting in the headspace of caring more about the build of the vehicle (in this instance, ensuring it had enough 'slack' that I could spend decent time figuring out the orbital mechanics between reverts), it all came together.

Also my first orbital maneuver of any kind where I went many orbits into advance, to get *just* the conditions I wanted.  The target was on an orbit both inclined and eccentric, and the eccentricity was tough to deal with I felt.  But I got within a few hundred meters, switched to the target, and EVA'd to the rescue craft.  The EVA was hectic, as I'd not before done more than step outside, cling to the side, and climb back in.  But after some back and forth, Madvie got into the rescue vehicle. 

The de-orbit was uneventful, and I guess that is all the news fit to print.  Doesn't fairly reflect how *stoked* I am about the whole thing though.  It was the culmination of many hours of learning effort (and saw my 'time played' pass the 50 hour mark), and is one of the most rewarding things I've ever done in a game.

Edited by magimix
Extraneous word

I started out trying to make hydrofoils, then realized I had just downloaded a submarine kit that contained underwater engines, so I started playing with those. Then I remembered hydrodynamic submarines, that fly underwater using positive buoyancy and dynamic negative lift from wings. Then I started seriously raiding the submarine bin.

screenshot696_zps3sygcpc6.jpg

screenshot716_zpsvmtwvvlj.jpg

screenshot718_zpsbbwbandt.jpg

screenshot720_zpsmzikmh5c.jpg

screenshot722_zpsvyoqldrj.jpg

screenshot723_zpsa9ga9nla.jpg

screenshot724_zpsqnfkcnms.jpg

Edited by SSgt Baloo

I started putting together stuff for my forthcoming mission log on a Kerbal Shuttle Program. Coming Real Soon Now.

I also saw the Mun castle for the second time while quitting after (finally!) landing my first orbital mission (for said mission report), which took...too many tries. The trouble was at the very end, and how to balance speed, speed loss, and altitude while descending from about 25-30,000 meters and 1,200 m/s over the mountains down to, well, KSC. Tricky problem, especially with a near-glider. I choose to interpret the appearance of the castle as a good sign.

On 2016. 01. 25. at 11:02 AM, Evanitis said:

I'd hate to admit defeat and revert to the arrival at Duna.

The first step of geting smart(er) is to admit how dumb you were previously. Yup, my plane could never land on Duna in it's current form. But I had fun while attempting a few more dozen times.

Than I reverted to the SoI change and did a neat aerocapture to land on Ike. 44 m/s dV remaining after a pretty suicidal suicide burn. I call that a pretty close call. Now to the next problem: in a full year of timewarping I managed to convert ~10% of the plane's LF/O capacity. My poor pilot will run out of all the Sudoku we sent with her.

We chose to land on Ike and do the other things not because it's easy, but because we are very stupid.

(no pics this time, as it's just a boring grey rock)

9 hours ago, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

I have a bad habit of overbuilding rockets. I have no DeltaV checking systems, so I end up with way more fuel than I need. Case in point: My new Minmus lander has 4 kickbacks, an orange tank + mainsail, a medium tank + skipper, a long tank + terrier, and then the lander stage. The payload? 4.6 tons.

I just could not help myself, I had to run the numbers. You have some 6600m/s² dV in that, give or take depending on the details, and whatever your lander stage has. That's about what I would build for Minmus mission. But I do calculate my dV before launching...

"Hello, my name is monophonic, and I am afraid of running out of delta vee."

Not much, I've gotten bogged down with missions that are too ambitious for the amount of time I have to play the game, so I've lost interest in my current career. I'm currently thinking of ways of using the vehicles I've developed in a simpler way so that I have more time doing the bits of KSP I find the most entertaining.

Sent a mission around the Mun that collected some great science, and launched the first part of a planned "Gemini 6/7"-style rendezvous mission.   Testing rocket engines and launching satellites to pay the bills...  KSC is fully upgraded with the exceptions of the SPH and Admin, which are next on the list (in that order)...  rounding out my first "year" of my new campaign.  

KCT has definitely made it more interesting for me, and has forced me to plan better and do things a bit more realistically (for instance, the old dodge of collecting bunches of science around KSC is much more difficult because construction and rollout are not instantaneous, so formerly-"quickie" EVA missions become so grindy as to not be worth it... so I'm collecting my science on actual flights).

Did some testing with Scansat around Duna. Think I have narrowed my problems with getting it to work down to one (or maybe two) of three planet packs not being compatible. Anyway, while scanning I watched a transit of Eve in front of Kerbol. Couldn't zoom in to get a good pic but neat to watch. Right up there with my first eclipse.

Continuing to experiment in my 1.0.5 install for an Apollo Applications Program career, built my first serious Saturn V replica.

gDlPHhp.jpg?1

It's about half the size of the real one (5m diameter, 60m high). First stage is five kerolox KW Mavericks.

h7nuGjW.jpg?1

Just going for an Apollo 8-style Munar orbit this flight, saving the first landing for career mode. The fairing under the CSM is empty.

eUB1DTd.jpg?1

Second stage is five hydrolox SpaceY Kiwis. Wanted to use the Skipper as a J-2 analog but it turned out not to be restartable.

DCW9BMz.jpg?1

Single Kiwi in the third stage completes orbital insertion and restarts for trans-Munar injection.

At this point things started going wrong. The CSM had far too much fuel--almost twice as much delta-v as was actually needed--so it was too much heavy for the third stage to complete the injection burn. Of course the excess of fuel meant the CSM had plenty to finish the burn on its own. Then it turned out the service module RCS wasn't working (apparently mounting them on the outside of the fairings covering the SM wasn't good enough for Real Fuels, must find out how to disable its changes to RCS fuel flow logic, which are more annoying than realistic). There was some trouble with the fuel cell, so no communications because the batteries only had enough power to run the hi-gain antenna for a couple of hours. In spite of all that, the ship successfully captured into Munar orbit, completed a single orbit, then departed back to Kerbin. Reentry was much too shallow, causing the capsule to "skip" three times off the atmosphere (fortunately all the life support supplies were stored in the CM so this wasn't a serious problem). And finally the parachute failed. The capsule crashed into the ocean, but the crew bailed out successfully and were recovered.

The main point of the flight was to try out the rocket, but I ended up learning some important lessons about how to build the CSM as well. This isn't the Saturn V I'll be using for my AAP career, that will probably be a less faithful replica because of career mode limitations, but it was still a useful experiment.

8 hours ago, monophonic said:

I just could not help myself, I had to run the numbers. You have some 6600m/s² dV in that, give or take depending on the details, and whatever your lander stage has. That's about what I would build for Minmus mission. But I do calculate my dV before launching...

"Hello, my name is monophonic, and I am afraid of running out of delta vee."

Fair enough. It turned out fairly well. The mission is still in progress, but I landed on the flats to start. I had a ton of fuel in my transfer stage, so I actually landed on that (very stressful landing a super tall rocket on a single Terrier). From there, I left the transfer stage and took off, landing on the slopes for more science. I'll probably try to get to midlands or something next.

okwuih.jpg

Finally got this hulking beast to the surface of Duna without breaking everything :D

Jebediah, Valentine and Bob are relieved that they got all the tourists safely to the Duna. Now they just have to figure out how to get out of there:D