What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I released a Tiger I replica today (Shameless plug) and spent the rest of the day just mucking around, playing War Thunder and other things.

Uk6Es8n.png

I made a VTOL specifically made to take screenshots as well -- Hence the VTOL capability and the cockpits. 

fIUFQut.png

6KVizBK.png

I was always a fan of the KSC's aesthetic look and so used the plane to take screenshots.

tppRB6n.png

U1IovD3.png

And perhaps the biggest accomplishment, I started building my second space station.

The first two modules were damn similar in structure except the second has a Hitchhiker module.

The launcher was fugly as heck, but it did it's job well.

qydSFjr.png

TF1X9aJ.png

a8CpKJG.png

OchYfJz.png

This takes me back to the times when I first learned to dock over a year ago, and it felt so satisfying.

Anyways, I'll be in Hong Kong the next few days, so that's nice. Packing wasn't so much a burden as I expected it to be. 

Got a class c asteroid down to a million km orbit around Kerbin. This was my first asteroid capture ever. It took a really blasphemous amount of fuel to get it there. Probably more fuel than I can expect to get from it. Now I just have to figure out mining. That wasn't in the game when I last played it.

Edited by DChurchill

I'm biding time until launch windows come around, and missions under way reach their destination.  I have 11 contracts on the go at the moment, but none of them require immediate attention.  So, some time-warping has been done, stopping every 50 days to transmit science from a couple labs.  One of the labs is in Gilly orbit and was due for some more science so the lander was put into use, a soft landing in the Highlands to grab new experimental data.

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-15%20at%207.32.1

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-15%20at%207.37.5

I then noticed a 12th contract for a rescue in LKO.  I accepted it and tried to build some SSTO planes.  3 failed attempts...

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-15%20at%208.38.5 

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-15%20at%208.53.5

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-15%20at%209.38.4 

…before I finally created one that worked, which, naturally, I failed to take pictures of.

After a few more 50 day time warps and science transmissions the lazy scientists finally got off their duffs and invented a couple new engines and some rather large fuel tanks.  This allowed the engineers to consider, once again, a mission to rescue the low solar orbit rescue missions that have run out of fuel.  The two rescue missions in need of rescuing are around 2.2 million meters orbit around Kerbol, which in map view looks to be about halfway inside Moho's orbit.  It's a long way to go.  But an attempt has begun with the following ship: 

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-16%20at%2010.15. 

The SRBs got it about 10km up...

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-16%20at%2010.17.

… the liquid radials got it to the karman line...

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-16%20at%2010.29.

… and some of the 1st proper stage - the mainsail stage - was needed to circularize orbit.

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-16%20at%2010.30.

The course to destination orbit was plotted, and the mainsails burned hard.  That stage ran out about halfway through the burn, so on to the second stage, the twin poodles.

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-16%20at%2010.38.

The Solar-ResQ-ResQ ship is now about 45 days away from its 2.2Mm Kerbolar PE at which point it will attempt to circularize.  Calculations suggest that over 6,500 m/s DeltaV is required for that burn.  The poodle stage will certainly run out at which point the twin nuclear stage kicks in.  Hopefully there will be enough of that left to begin the trek back.  The last stage is two ion engines pushing a probe core with two external seats on it.  There are worries that even with all this it won't be enough to complete the mission.  There are some discussions under way to the benefits of hiring mathematicians to figure out the requirements beforehand, but the establishment is wary of new-fangled ideas...

32 minutes ago, justidutch said:

The Solar-ResQ-ResQ ship is now about 45 days away from its 2.2Mm Kerbolar PE at which point it will attempt to circularize.

Let's all hope that there won't be a need for a Solar-ResQ-ResQ-ResQ.

Haven't posted here in a month, so its a "What did you do the past month since 1.1?" reply. When 1.1.2 wasn't crashing, I started a new career again based mostly on Contares, Tantares and now also SSTU. I usually build a Kerbin Space Station for science but I now made a Mun Space Station instead, easier with low gravity. KSS will remain a crew transfer hub. Also made some new shiny satellites with Panzermeyer's mod.

Edited by hendrack

1 hour ago, justidutch said:

There are some discussions under way to the benefits of hiring mathematicians to figure out the requirements beforehand, but the establishment is wary of new-fangled ideas...

Pshaw! Maths! :rolleyes:

You just need a steely-eyed missile Kerman and a big ol' bottle o' boom juice!

I'll even hang on to that watch for you until you get back.

-Jn-

1 hour ago, JoeNapalm said:

Pshaw! Maths! :rolleyes:

You just need a steely-eyed missile Kerman and a big ol' bottle o' boom juice!

I'll even hang on to that watch for you until you get back.

-Jn-

Math is overrated.

1 hour ago, DChurchill said:

Math is overrated.

This is sort of why I never get any traction in vanilla Career mode.

Could I do the math? Yes, of course.

But I'd rather just build big honkin' rockets and hurl them at distant worlds.

-Jn-

Orpond Kerman launched the stolen Oretrain from the surface of Ike and docked with the insane cobbling effort known as Cypress Hill Station. After swapping ore for snacks, he plans to return to the surface of Ike tomorrow.

I voided the warranty on RoverDude's Malemute rover:

st38RMp.png

but had a lot of fun doing it.

3nK6gFd.png

Kid5emE.png

vJBvfvD.png

Couldn't do SSTO yet, CoG is too far forward and there isn't enough control authority.  Steers like a drunken...steer.  Maybe I should have called it the Bison V instead of the Husky.  Proof that Jeb will fly anything.

Updated: Moving the Wings inward a bit shifted the Center of Lift up closer to the Center of Gravity (Center of Mass, whatevs), making the RoverJet SSTO way more stable.  I almost made orbit with it, and with a bit better low altitude flying, I think it'll totally make orbit.

Edited by panarchist
Update

43 minutes ago, JoeNapalm said:

This is sort of why I never get any traction in vanilla Career mode.

Could I do the math? Yes, of course.

But I'd rather just build big honkin' rockets and hurl them at distant worlds.

-Jn-

I had 4 semesters of calculus. Now, I pay Sarbian to do my math for me.

Edited by DChurchill

Built some stuff in KSP, then got annoyed after a fair amount of crashes so I started planning the future of my RSS save manned program now that I successfully completed my lunar program.

Kicked off the vastly ambitious Emperor program (split in three parts: Sword, Sceptre and Crown) with the manned exploration of the Galilean moons as ultimate goal, visiting Venus and Mars in the process (aims of Sceptre and Crown programs respectively).

Edited by Gaarst

Completed a test flight of my "tailsitter" spaceplane/shuttle.

The New Shuttle Gallifrey

The goal is for this to take itself and a 5 ton payload to Serran (another moon of that blue gas giant Sonnah, with an oxy atmosphere too) with the aid of an external tank and boosters, then fly back to Kerbin as a spaceplane, and land just like you see here.

32 minutes ago, cantab said:

Completed a test flight of my "tailsitter" spaceplane/shuttle.

The New Shuttle Gallifrey

The goal is for this to take itself and a 5 ton payload to Serran (another moon of that blue gas giant Sonnah, with an oxy atmosphere too) with the aid of an external tank and boosters, then fly back to Kerbin as a spaceplane, and land just like you see here.

Heh, that reminds me of this little fragment of my childhood:

mosquito.jpg

So I've been doing a ton of crew rescues and tourist hauling lately.  The work has made me quite a bit better at orbital rendezvous than I've ever been in the past.  It does get a bit grindy though - especially since I basically use the same craft every time.  Namely this thing:

61B94D361C976181532EE8E39E14674BDDAAA068

It can land on Mun, orbit Minmus and bring everyone back alive all in a single trip with fuel to spare.  You can't see it in this image but the Crew Cabin and Capsule are connected with Clamp-o-Tron Jr.'s, mostly for role play considerations - I think of it as a conduit between the two that the Kerbals can pass through.  In any case, it works.

My only complaint is the Kerbin system is now becoming clogged with derelict capsules of every sort.  I'm not sure what to do about this, to tell you the truth.  Plus I'm still trying to figure out how all these unfortunate Kerbonauts ended up stranded in the first place.