What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Last night I tried to rescue three Kerbals I stranded on the Mun by underestimating the delta-v requirements of the trip.  Unfortunately, I also underestimated the delta-v requirements of the rescue mission.  This seems to be something of a habit of mine.  

Anyway, I had to scrub the surface rescue mission before it could land.  However, a "Rescue Randal Kerman from orbit of the Mun" contract opened up while it was in transit, so I was able to accept that and change the mission objective to get him back.  That more than recouped the cost of the mission which would otherwise have been a waste.  

Next time I am going to have to revise my lander design to increase the efficiency on the ascent and return stages so I can squeeze enough delta-v out of them to get back to Kerbin.  

12 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Tonight I goofed around for a bit and made a model of the Oskar  EW-5894 Fleischgewehr! (Absolutely not a ripoff of the Oscar 5894 Phallus from Hot Shots!, it's self absolutely not a rip off of the Folland Gnat. Terrifying name for an airplane, that.)

RzUUXEH.png

The resemblance is clear, right? Huh? Huh? No...?

5W7D2KY.png

(Yeah, I suck at making models)

It actually flies pretty nice. Re-engined, and I could almost get it up to Mach 3.

ljbXU3l.png

Shooting the K2 gap at just below Mach 1, not a scratch!

1hUQOqT.png

Er, wait I think something's missing....

y95yI4C.png

Pulling to the right, hmm...

Honestly, I expected better from Katnis Kerman...

DeBChlo.png

... and a perfect landing!

jxytZxs.png

Now, to find a certain disagreeable spaceplane pilot...

Is it a Mod? 

Can you upload the craft?

With my 1.1.2 Duna Exploration science save at a stable point I decided to try my own patience and start a 1.1.2 career game.

And after 4 hours playing I still haven't slapped my monitor even once, or even used bad language (but it's been close, if I ever get my hands on the little green critter that came up with those combinations of orbits and speeds it'll end badly).

Today in KSP,  I fell off the wagon yet again.

Hello.  My name is Inigo Montoya Geschosskopf, and I'm a code-aholic  Since the days of punch cards, I have sworn off coding more times than I can count and each time I've usually managed to stay code-free for several years, but then I fall.  KSP has really helped me stay clean lately because it has so many modders, but I have recently encountered something they (rather surprisingly) haven't dealt with yet.  And the whole time I've been playing KSP, kOS has been sitting there tempting me.  Today, I couldn't take it any longer and gave in to that temptation.  I began writing a kOS script to do something no mod can do.

It compiles.  It does what I what I tell it to do.  But I'm not yet telling it the right things to do because I'm not getting what I want out of it, so am compelled to keep hacking at it.  I'm on the long, slippery slope of a downwards spiral of coding that I know all too well, having left my fingernails embedded in it many times.  Help me.....

Today I was having fun with my career game, and had a slew of contracts on Minmus, in particular one for a surface base. So, this grossly oversized lander is what I came up with using the funds from all those contracts, and I brought all the orange suits along for fun (and leveling-up).

UxjYni0.png

Played around with my Fleischgewehr  some more, and accidentally made a spaceplane.

kBerFWn.png

Dammit, I hate it when that happens.

These two certainly seem happy about it...

Wber5dt.png

Unfortunately, they're about to die horribly due to a complete loss of electrical power because, you see, it was never supposed to be a spaceplane.

8i1vyjW.png

The rest of it slowed down just fine.:rolleyes::mad:

In the end, this little bugger was the only bit to survive.

aLszTgC.png

Look at that bright unblinking light, silently mocking me.

We're going to need another Marbel & Nanna! Next!

So I mentioned I sent three Kerbal's to the Mun in my most recent career game, and here they are!

NDwhn3A.jpg

Unfortunately, their lander lacked the delta-v to make it back to Munar orbit.  Reminder to self: add drop-tanks next time for extra endurance.  

Speaking of drop-tanks, that is what the automated rescue craft used on its way to get them home...

j1RqcVL.jpg

Do not let the 139.7m distance from the target craft fool you, touching this lander down was a pain.  High center of gravity and narrow landing legs made it very tippy, resulting in many aborted landings that, coincidentally, ended up bringing it a lot closer to the target than I had hoped.  

Anyway, all three Kerbals transferred from one craft to the other, bringing their science data with them.

l4EuXzt.jpg

Huzzah!  A boon for our Research and Development department!  

9 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Hello.  My name is Inigo Montoya Geschosskopf, and I'm a code-aholic  Since the days of punch cards, I have sworn off coding more times than I can count and each time I've usually managed to stay code-free for several years, but then I fall.  KSP has really helped me stay clean lately because it has so many modders, but I have recently encountered something they (rather surprisingly) haven't dealt with yet.  And the whole time I've been playing KSP, kOS has been sitting there tempting me.  Today, I couldn't take it any longer and gave in to that temptation.  I began writing a kOS script to do something no mod can do.

It compiles.  It does what I what I tell it to do.  But I'm not yet telling it the right things to do because I'm not getting what I want out of it, so am compelled to keep hacking at it.  I'm on the long, slippery slope of a downwards spiral of coding that I know all too well, having left my fingernails embedded in it many times.  Help me.....

Just wait for the next stage... When you find something kOS can't do, even if it probably should... And decide you want this to work... So you download the sources... And start modifying the mod! Mwahahahaha!!!

Welcome to the club!

since getting Kerbal R&D I've been building ships more modular-ly, so all multimission ships have removable engine pods (which look great too!) Also got imjur so should be posting pics of my Eve ascent tonight!

Took my new funky 1+4 Orbital Taxi Mk2 out to pick up two stranded Kerbonauts.

And added two bewildered tourists to the cargo to max out the profit.

They did get a bit more than just a quick orbit :)

"This is your Captain speaking: We'll hang here for a bit while Jemma in that dead pod EVA's her behind over to us. Please remove any luggage from the other seats and don't eat all the snacks. Thank You."

Edit:
One of the tourists was named Camus, but he appeared quite philosophical about the situation ...

Edited by Curveball Anders

6 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Played around with my Fleischgewehr  some more, and accidentally made a spaceplane.

kBerFWn.png

You named your plane the Meat Rifle?!? That's awesome, in a Borderlands meets Luftwaffe sort of way.

Launched a Kerbin station in my latest science game

screenshot334_zpsut7nzbx4.png

Then Val broke a landing leg on Duna by " I just touched it I swear"

screenshot337_zpszufj4ijj.png

Which necessitated a replacement lander delivered to Duna. Everyone agreed that the new model did look pretty cool with the new running lights added.

screenshot339_zpsqhq6mqxm.png 

19 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

LOL There's no helping a masochist. And if you remember punch cards, you're an OLD masochist. :D

The idea of kOS is really spectacularly cool, but it makes my brain hurt thinking about it. I have enough trouble getting paid to make SQL do what I want it to do.

48 minutes ago, N_Danger said:

Then Val broke a landing leg on Duna by " I just touched it I swear"

screenshot337_zpszufj4ijj.png

You too?  Jeb broke a landing leg when I was trying to get him back into a Munar lander via EVA pack.  He ended up colliding with the leg at low speed, then the leg snapping due to being "overstressed".  

Either these legs take great umbrage at being accidentally kicked by Kerbals, or the new physics for them needs a little tweaking.  

The last couple days I've been building a base on the mun with the Planetary Bases mod (I love the mod btw). So far I've placed the base core and added a MK2 crew habitat and a green house. It's ready for the first inhabitants to move in, also gonna put a lab/power station/light array on top of the core, and on top of that will be the landing pad. The lander will dock with a Clamp-o-tron Sr. so that it can re-fuel and stuff.

20160511220347_1_zpsbh6ss6tw.jpg

20160512022209_1_zpsnnxmx9i8.jpg

20160512004815_1_zpsvqfqownj.jpg

20160512031707_1_zps0pvyyylf.jpg

20160512231344_1_zpsempy2rh5.jpg

15 hours ago, Alchemist said:

Just wait for the next stage... When you find something kOS can't do, even if it probably should... And decide you want this to work... So you download the sources... And start modifying the mod! Mwahahahaha!!!

Hopefully some firend or family member will ambush me with an intervention long before then :)

5 hours ago, Fearless Son said:

You too?  Jeb broke a landing leg when I was trying to get him back into a Munar lander via EVA pack.  He ended up colliding with the leg at low speed, then the leg snapping due to being "overstressed".  

Either these legs take great umbrage at being accidentally kicked by Kerbals, or the new physics for them needs a little tweaking.  

I was just jumping off and brushed it on the way down :rolleyes: