What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Yet another incarnation of my Odysseus "longship". Custom H2/EC engine (based on NF cryo-engine), needs 4 larges NF nukes to power. Two landers and two surveyor/relay probes docked up front. 300+ parts, ~15fps:( Eight Kerbals on their way to Duna. Runs hot!

I learned not to try to turn reactors while warping, results in big boom!

screenshot52.jpg
screenshot53.jpg
screenshot54.jpg
screenshot58.jpg
screenshot59.jpg
screenshot60.jpg

dropping a rover the size of a bus onto duna with the kerbal noobs

00C4A3DF9134A68CF2BE597B72BDE4F890718B2B

73F635AAC7061C09FFCB1D7558F2A4F8E454F463

we have a science rover with an escape pod

E1DAD84FE71940FD48D7155CCD0F65D63E6FE230

NOW IM  FREEEEEEEEEE, FREE FALLING! 

3DC11EBAE9C9260C7D23FE1740F1DD77424035F9

D7523FEEC7E9E19A59C256C057E8BA64AD76499F

RCS to cushion the landing.

97FDE90DD597F4D851798899012C5235F5E91F21

FOR SCIENCE!

DCE8388F088AB05758E71B8241DDDC3B7E1C885F

the kerbals being too curious wonder. does this escape pod actually work?

C82328DC7A3008E4272B6C410FB43387BDE8C6E6

and we have lift off of ghetto escape pod

502B022DED3725C4FEE4D42526962DCC0CEAF47F

99D44AAD23E16FF41F76368D28E29A6056BCB9B3

6 hours ago, Kerbital said:

screenshot52.jpg

This is how you Voyager™ :cool:

As for me, I did some part overhauling yesterday and today for Kerbol Star System. It was a load of texture passes mainly, but after that I played with and learned particularly destructive things. Like controlling exhaust damage range and power. For reference, the custom Helium fusion engine is a NERV upscaled to 1.875m and it sent every girder within 40m of the nozzle to 300% heat cap instantly.

S4yOuXt.jpg

hpVQgkg.jpg

XTH5xio.jpg

Actually managed to play a little, on my "new" (refurbed) laptop (synopsis: capable of playing the game about as well as my semi-antique desktop machine, as long as I don't load any lag-inducing mods).

Did something I've never done in KSP in the 9 months since I bought it: started a Career game.  Stock, except for Better Burn Time (a tiny mod that doesn't appear to affect lag in any way).  No pictures, sorry, kept forgetting to take them and they'd be on the other machine anyway (though that one should upload to Imgur about as well as this one).

I hadn't realized that a fresh Career game doesn't have contracts yet -- I presume they appear after you've built up some reputation for your program.  Or something.  I also hadn't realized that a career game doesn't have access to any of the pre-built ships that are normally in the library (even if you don't have the parts for them yet in a Science game).  Fortunately, there's still a lot of contribution in the aftermath of a successful flight, it seems.  I launched Jeb in a (recreated from memory, only thing I had the parts for) Jumping Flea, got him around 7 km up and a km or so out to sea and made something like 100,000 funds in profit.  A "pad exploration" revealed that (seemingly) Kerbals can't plant flags or take surface samples -- whether that's due to 1.3 vs. the 1.2.2 I'm used to, or something to do with early career, I'm not sure, though I'm certain I've seen Scott Manley do both in his "Fifteen minutes to the Mun" video.  On the other hand, with 100% of parts recovered at the pad, it cost nothing.

Regardless, those adventures netted enough science to let me unlock a couple nodes, allowing me to launch Val into a "half-orbital" flight aboard Explorer 1 -- with a Thumper and four simplest fins as first stage, decoupler, second stage of one Reliant, and two 200 tanks, another decoupler, then a Mk. 1 pod with two Goo canisters and a Mk. 16 parachute (forgot to mount a freshly unlocked thermometer).  I call it half-orbital because Val got just about exactly halfway around Kerbin with a "depressed trajectory" 78 km apoapsis.  Given her velocity, it's likely the next launch will achieve orbit just by adding a couple more tanks to the second stage (and likely a couple Hammer boosters to get launch TWR high enough).  Unfortunately, one of the Goo canisters (the one that was open after in-space observation, i.e. the one that would have netted the biggest science haul) burned off during reentry, even though it was mounted as high as possible on the command pod.

And, despite throwing away the SRB and second stage, and losing one of the Goo canisters, Val's flight (which included significant milestones) made about 60,000 funds in profit after the money finished rolling in from the results.  Also got enough science to unlock some more parts -- better parachutes and engines, heat shields, barometer, radial decouplers, better fins, and simple nose cones (all of tier 2).  Not bad for twenty minutes of flight time, and gives me the tools for orbital and even possibly trans-Munar missions.  Plus, with the funds I have now, I may be able to hire a few more Kerbonauts.

Edited by Zeiss Ikon

10 minutes ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

I hadn't realized that a fresh Career game doesn't have contracts yet -- I presume they appear after you've built up some reputation for your program.  Or something.  I also hadn't realized that a career game doesn't have access to any of the pre-built ships that are normally in the library (even if you don't have the parts for them yet in a Science game).

did you use Stck Vessels in settings?

also you need to go into mission control to get contracts

Just now, DeltaDizzy said:

did you use Stck Vessels in settings?

also you need to go into mission control to get contracts

Apparently, I must have turned off the "stock vessels" setting.  Doesn't matter, I haven't used any of those past the Jumping Flea in my ongoing Science game (on the desktop machine).  Guess I'll have to get the magnifying glass and look for Mission Control.  I thought I needed to be in the Admin building, but had nothing there but tradeoff strategies (give up some rep or science for funds, or other alternatives, trading off one kind of income for another).

4 minutes ago, DeltaDizzy said:

no, its right next to the VAB, towards the runway. Its pretty small.

Aha!  I was right, I needed the magnifying glass.  It's much more impressive in Sandbox, where the facilities start off fully upgraded.

Edit: Well, looks like there may be some more "Jumping Flea" flights coming up -- got a stack of "flight over Kerbin" contracts that are well within its envelope.

Edited by Zeiss Ikon

2 minutes ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

Aha!  I was right, I needed the magnifying glass.  It's much more impressive in Sandbox, where the facilities start off fully upgraded.

Yeah I was about to send a pic but I guess not

NAW

Ill send it in case anyone else needs it.

285px-KSC.png

In the same place in all levels

Edited by DeltaDizzy

Today was a great day! I launched the Venus Station into low earth orbit.

P0xiEgj.jpg

Launch on a Saturn V MLV. It can carry 200 tons to LEO, the payload weigh 199.4 tons. Look how big it is :o 

9M8AKOr.jpg

Liftoff !!! The First stage is powered by 5 x F-1A engines (9100kN each) and 4 additional UA1563 boosters (14000kN each)

7Do2EYg.jpg

axCyZwK.jpg

On the second stage I used 5 x  HG-3 engines (1400kN each). 

NmV8i5y.jpg

At engine cut-off there is only 130m/s deltaV left.

jDcuzfR.jpg

Orbit !! Now I have to fill the transferstage, I already built 3 tankers, but I guess I will need more.

OpaqvsM.jpg

EVA reports! While hanging for dear life-- for science! I still had the occasional problem of the scientist(s) losing their grip.......And a couple of F9s ensued, not only at this point but at (up to 3) attempts to land the plane at the hill ahead while getting science, which all failed and I accepted the loss of another scientist.

JQFRFlg.jpg

IlC89AQ.jpg

In other news, a few more catastrophic failures were met later on, with attempts to launch a polar scansat. Good abort sequence is good. :P 

vywU9OW.jpg

The 'neck' is a cargo bay full of high altitude science. I figured I'd try to grab some while sending the satellite up.

uiw7S95.jpg