What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Did a 3 Kermanned, Apollo-inspired mission to the Mun with "similar" staging and a buggy! Visited a nearby crater and the first probe I had sent to the Mun some time ago which was only a kilometre away from the landing site. Then put the whole story together and posted it as a kind of review on my blog :)http://papics.eu/?p=2993 It was fun!

20131013_KerbaltoMun_01.png

Scrapped all my SSTO designs, then started work on the Hyperion series. So far just the Mk1 design, but it got into orbit (three times in a row, not a fluke!) with enough fuel to return. This is probably down to having worked out how to actually fly SSTO's correctly...

The Mk2 will either be larger and able to carry more Kerbals (or cargo, not sure). Also debating whether or not to try it without the Sabre's from B9. They seem to make it too easy.

Launched the first few missions for the Constellation Program Challenge; naturally, the guys in my savegame are calling it Project Constipation. Constipation 1 blew up shortly after launch, which turned out to be a good opportunity for a successful abort and recovery of the capsule. Constipation 1A, a sub-orbital flight, went okay; I had some serious staging issues there. Constipation 2 was a manned flight, the first orbital flight of the Scorpio 7 Block I atop a Thanatos 7 booster. Also got my Mir replica crewed for the first time and placed in a high enough orbit to qualify for the next steps of the challenge.

So this is what I done in 2-3 days time.

A great hydroplane! I traveled to KSC 2 and to the Pyramids, but I coudn`t find it because it get buried.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

My under development water base and refueling station.

I just playing with KAS 4.1

My new Minmus Base. (The Kraken eat it for dinner) :(

TAC Life Support with KAS. Just a little experiment with coding.

Yes, that is it for now. :)

Accidentally made one of the hairiest ascents I've personally had. Imagine if Apollo had to flip the command module around and catch the lunar lander before reaching orbit.

Here's a video, you can try watching the whole thing, but something went wrong either with uploading or rendering so about half of it doesn't work. I got the part where I have to catch my lander mid-ascent though.

http://youtu.be/YWvAMrmDhJA?t=1m19s

Edited by SteevyT

I'm having a heck of a time trying to learn to dock. I spent about 6 hours and was only able to connect once. I've watched several YouTube videos and read tutorials but for whatever reason I just can't seem to get stable in front of the target ship. The translation controls don't seem to work well to reduce my momentum in a given direction and if I use the normal RCS controls I feel like I'm zig zagging all over the place. I have no issue getting to about 100 meters nor do I have issues controlling the Kerbal during an EVA so I'm not sure what I'm missing.

I'm having a heck of a time trying to learn to dock. I spent about 6 hours and was only able to connect once. I've watched several YouTube videos and read tutorials but for whatever reason I just can't seem to get stable in front of the target ship. The translation controls don't seem to work well to reduce my momentum in a given direction and if I use the normal RCS controls I feel like I'm zig zagging all over the place. I have no issue getting to about 100 meters nor do I have issues controlling the Kerbal during an EVA so I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Try using RCS solely for translation; turn it off if you have to re-orient yourself. Alternatively, redesign your craft so that all the thrusters are at the same radius from the central axis of your craft and that you have the same number of thrusters on both ends. That way you avoid unwanted rotation.

I don't usually use the docking mode, just stick in standard staging mode, and I mainly use the navball to guide myself in, I don't think I actually use the proper view except for checking things.

For me, the key is making sure the navball is set to "target" instead of "orbit", burning towards the pink circle on the navball until the speed is about 5 m/s, then use the IJKL keys to keep the yellow prograde marker inside the pink circle. Occasionally I'll get a bit out of whack even doing this, and have to stop, reorient both spacecraft, then start closing the gap again.

It's not an easy skill though, very satisfying the first time I got it to work reliably!

Accidentally made one of the hairiest ascents I've personally had. Imagine if Apollo had to flip the command module around and catch the lunar lander before reaching orbit.

I had that happen to me once - due to a staging error I accidentally blew the LM fairings when ejecting a spent stage. The CSM separated and I had to dock while the rest of the craft was still ascending. I managed, but I don't think it turned out to be more than an abort-to-orbit.

Today, Jeb had a great time trialing train parts, at high speed. Even though this one is stuck, he's still clearly having a good time.

xSbjyKz.png

Meanwhile, I had Bob mow the lawn around KSC.

gEpub39.png

It's a pull start! I love the nose they make.

VJzQjqH.png

Admittedly it was yesterday but, what I did was get fed up with debris and decide to start fighting it. I may post this in its own thread after I get some screen shots of it working but: The first test flight of the Version 1 Orbital Debris Incinerator was an outstanding success.

The incinerator itself was easy to build. I started with a cone, attached 3 cubic octagonal struts, put small fuel tanks on those, and 3 nuclear motors. Test firings showed that the flame cones crossed where they were quite wide. I put a docking port on the cone behind the flame to make for a fairly safe point for aiming, and put both main engines (3 of the same engines on a tri-stack adapter) and the incinerator on control group toggles...and launched it at some debris.

The first candiate was a small single piece of debris, a stage separation ring, that happened to be in the right place at launch time. I setup a collision course, toggled the engines off, set throttle to max, and usec RCS in docking mode to stay on course. As the ring came in, I toggled on the now full power engines, and toasted it. Gone!

I had enough fuel to do more, but, rather than waste it, I transfered my orbit up to the space station and docked. Later tonight I plan to clear out the orbital area around the space station.

Today, I managed to do my first free return trajectory from Kerbin to the Mün and back. I never ever had so much fuel left.

It took me countless tries. Endless trial and error until my brain understood how to do it. In theory, this is not hard to accomplish, but the strange low dimensional human mind is so very, very stupid to realize the most basic things. Today, I am a little bit proud. :D

Launched my first ion powered probe on a Soyuz ST, I'll post pics soon(finally got my imgur working)

Awwe that reminds me I killed my first (working) ion powered probe yesterday. I had tossed it out into a solar orbit and was preparing to make a shot at Eve. This one, after realizing how many RTGs it really takes to power an ion probe, I added the big solar panels. I never got to ion stage, as I overdesigned the boosters and a final lift stage was still attached with plenty of fuel, I figured I would dump it during my eve flyby....

Anyway, since I was going to thrust hard, I figured that, for good measure I should retract my solar panels.... then I realized I needed to wait just a bit before my manuver, so I went into time warp.....

Of course I met a time Kraken. The game froze up for a few seconds and when it came back, I had zipped hours past my node, and had run out of power.

FOrgx6R.png

Skurj I Model AA Dreadful Dream parked on the cold but sunny beaches of Laythe.

It turns out to be a wee bit underpowered as a rover - I landed on a plateau about 500m higher and 7km away and had to stop several times during the descent to the beach to recharge the wheel batteries.

Still, looks like a tolerable runway for the launch.