What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I also perfected my takeoff to minimize the amount of drag from the landing gear. Warning: Landing gear warranty void if retracted while on the ground.

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/5-26-2015/parMmK.gif

That's pretty good, but have you ever seen the Blue Angels diamond takeoff? They all take off simultaneously and the slot plane drops into formation while they are still over the runway, just a few meters off the ground. It's godlike.

Edited by mikegarrison

I've just about finalized the hull design for my new mothership, which I shall dub "Kidonia" in honor of the ongoing and awesome anime "Knights of Sidonia":

VnDSZwem.pngXVzLTD6m.png

MbQ5zdRl.jpg

These images are from a "test launch" in Sandbox Mode using HyperEdit, to make sure the structure is sound, the docking ports work, etc. There will of course be a few changes before I launch it "for real", including changing the arrangement of solar panels.

Edited by parameciumkid

Have a new ship that has a jumping center off mass during flight, moving the camera far away from the ship - timewarping shortly reverses the problem ... better hurry to finish the mission and land the crew ...

Also encountered a new CTD bug and have not yet found the cause.

Missionwise I am waiting for a Mun-turned-Duna-probe to arrive in about a year - AntennaRange will make this a lucky shot for a flyby, cannot make a midcourse correction - although I launched the probe before I installed AntennaRange, so maybe I should give me some leeway once more ... :P

Landed 12 kerbonauts in a tall ship on Minmus to plant flags - XP system still feels a bit weird, when you are trying to get a base crew of scientists and engineers up to level three ...

Another Minmus mission is waiting in LKO for its transfer burn, might go off early with a midcourse correction today.

Collected science with all but two experiments (and no crew report either) from KSC, put the experiments into a rocket and loaded them into a lab - about 250 data, something for the crew to work on while going for a trip into Kerbol orbit - XP system ... (OK, my minmaxania ... :P ) - The lab ship will collect more science along the way, including some from a low flyby at Mun before it leaves Kerbin's SOI in about 15 days - not yet sure how soon it can return with the dV left in it, but supplies (USI LifeSupport) are sufficient for almost two years, so could go for a full Kerbol orbit trailing Kerbin and munching away on the data.

Building a large Mun rocket to go Apollo style and carrying a rover in a service bay - reading a certain thread in the general forum I might want to redesign that part a bit and get rid of any moving parts directly attached to the bay ... 1.0.3, where are thee?!

But before that monster can leave the pad I will either have to unlock Mainsails or figure out the fuel logic for radially attached non-staged engines.

I've properly started mining Minmus: the permanent roving mining rig is in place with Phoda the intrepid engineer. Next up is the tanker-refinery (design is nearly complete) and a space depot for the L2-analog of Kerbin-Minmus (I've settled on the Leading L2-analog point). From there I can run a fully developped cislunar space infrastructure, just like we should IRL.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I still need some science to unlock the Docking Sr parts required for the tanker and Lagrange Depot that the mining rig will feed. Turns out one of my scientists, Linielle, decided to run free with a cobbled-together ion pod and all the science instruments she could gather. That's quite the enthusiasm ! We love that can-do attitude here. But the thing doesn't even have SAS, has an asthmatic thrust... and is at the moment making clumsy thrusts for Jool. Meaning: it's trying to run a ion engine on little battery, at night (outer planets require an eject angle in the shadow cone of Kerbin). Of course the thrust is off-center, so she has to spin her pod madly while the ion is thrusting or spend her days constantly correcting. I consider this mission doomed from the start, but having no way to recover this expensive piece of crat I'll let Linielle have her way and see how gruesomely she offs herself with it.

...and I still can't fly spaceplanes :(

Picked up my career game after fiddling around a bit with a FAR plane in the litterbox (damn thing didn't have sufficient pitch authority once I lit the rocket). Sent a group of tourists to Munar sub-orbit, then back to Kerbin. Had a disaster on entry - the craft wouldn't hold the retrograde orientation on account of the service module still being attached; I decoupled the thing and promptly struck an adapter against the side of the service module debris, blowing the command pod with Val in it from the Hitchhikers with the tourists in them. Luckily the Hitchhiker module had chutes and I play with StageRecovery, so nobody actually died, but the game did kill those contracts toot-sweet (for which I'm annoyed - loss of rep aside, some of those were some high-paying contracts that I won't get to finish up now).

Aside from that, I mostly fiddled around with probe contracts. I've also got Jeb and Bob headed out to Minmus at the moment.

Finally tore myself away from sandbox long enough to make some progress in my career save. Here's the Starlet Alice returning from the fifth mission of my SSTO program:

XZ3PgW7.jpg?1

It did a variety of odd-jobs in LKO, delivered some tourists to the Kilgore Station and back, removed some unnecessary components from Kilgore and returned them to Kerbin (helps with the part-count, plus I get some cash back), rescued a Kerbal from LKO, and bolted some retro-rockets and a chute onto a derelict Mark 1 pod, which Jebediah then flew back to KSC to be recovered. Not a particularly profitable mission but all stuff that needed doing.

Found evidence for the Crescent Bay biome on laythe. If you look in the ore.cfg you find this.

BIOME_RESOURCE

{

ResourceName = Ore

ResourceType = 0

PlanetName = Laythe

BiomeName = Crescent Bay

Distribution

{

PresenceChance = 0

MinAbundance = 0

MaxAbundance = 0

Variance = 0

Dispersal = 0

}

}

Brought Jeb and his tourists home, bringing in enough cash and science to get Miniaturisation and Fuel Systems, then upgrade the R&D for resource transfers and surface samples. Next, I got some of the KSC science, particularly the crawlerway and runway, so I could get the RCS node. That's enough for a basic spacestation.

GHxWQb.png

WFfKQz.png

Didn't take a picture when passing Mun, but I made good use of the Warp To feature. On reentry, the capsule and Hitchhiker were fine, some of the solar panels glowed a little, and two of the batteries exploded, but it worked out okay.

CIAIyA.png

rZNJCK.png

Ran a test of a descent pod - I took my previous drop-pod, filled the capsules' monopropellant tanks and fitted a linear RCS thruster and a probe core. After putting it in a 100km circular orbit, I used the RCS to deorbit the capsule: half of the fuel sufficed to get periapse below 51km. These will be used to bring tourists and other astronauts down from the station to the ground.

zvOoUk.png

MbWk7N.png

q1y2KO.png

I had a launch site test contract for the Skipper, so I built my lifter for Stopover Station with it. I had to send the station up empty to get under the weight limit... but I did fill it with all my tourists. Three descent pods and a normal capacity of five kerbals, 250 monoprop and an X200-32 should be a reasonable early station. After, a contract for putting up a five-man station appeared, but it needed more fuel, and I'd just put one up, so I didn't take it. Speaking of fuel, I sent up a fueler to top up the station. It'll be a while before it docks, though.

The fueler just barely squeaks under the 140t limit, and launches a little oddly. First, the seven Swivels at the bottom fire, along with the six 80%-filled Fleas affixed below the drop tanks. Once the Fleas run out, or are about to, the Hammers at the top fire, to pull the rocket to a speed and altitude that it can keep with liquid fuel alone. The Hammers decouple, then the drop tanks run out and drop next. The seven Swivels all run out of fuel at the same time as each other, so the five-Swivel asparagus stage kicks in then, but doesn't quite get the fueler to orbit. So, it burns from the transport tank a little. Fortunately, with the fuel leftover from the ascent of the station, there should be enough to fill it and deorbit the fueler. The service bay contains RCS tanks and a parachute for the pilot's descent and the docking procedure.

ZS6aB3.png

gX2YhD.png

I also had a launch site test for the Spark, so I tweaked one of the ones on these two landers to disable its thrust, and fired it with the launch stage. At the nose is a capsule for a rescue mission, with RCS thrusters for the deorbit, and in the middle is a transfer stage to ferry landers between stopover and the moons. These should take care of some of the space tourists, and possibly other jobs at those locations.

This may be nothing great for anyone but myself.

But I found a Kerbal who has my surname, the reason why this is great is because my Surname is rare.

So My namesake is out there doing the biz, whilst Jeb and co are taking the back seat :)

​My joolian probe finally arrived in the system and got a lucky encounter with Laythe right away. So plenty DeltaV left to hopefully explore and scan the whole system. 16651m/s to be exact. No idea if that s gonna be enough and if I ll be patient enough with that very slow ion engine.

KSP_LaytheJoolProbe.jpg

Also finished assembling my first big Duna-Ike expedition. Not as big as planned though. I had to give up on some modules because the part count was already killing my computer. So I ll have to send another expedition in the future.

But that s already two space stations, one outpost and several ships/probes sent on their way after some EVA work to strenghten the lot. I m looking forward to separating those modules and get reasonnable fps again.

KSP_DunaIkeExpAssembly.jpg

KSP_DunaIkeExpLaunch.jpg

Refining my two stage EVE escape smigs. Landed with full fuel using parachutes.

First stage gets to 30 km, second to 400 km orbit. Need a mother ship in orbit to dock with to get home...

screenshot394.pngscreenshot390.pngscreenshot391.png

Started on a Minmus Space Station, the mSS 1. I'm trying to make it *slightly* less wobbly than my Munar Space Station(Thinking of renaming it the Munar Wobbler). :P

Munar Wobbler

MJDMWVP.jpg

mSS 1PLrpSHV.png

I know the larger docking port helps, and I just read about using the tricouplers and such. I mostly just need to plan them out beforehand.

I may have got a little carried away with my first Jool expedition (in 1.0.x), and sent this:

yjKcTLo.jpg

Basically a huge nuke powered tug, that took a science drop ship and a resource collector to Jool.

I was struggling with the fuel though. That 50+ minute initial burn didn't help to get the transfer to Jool going. Fortunately with some careful planning, I set up a rendezvous with Pol and refueled it, before heading to Bop.

I'm sure the science ship can ascend from Vall, but not sure it will make it up from Tylo. The whole mission was originally planned for Duna, but I decided at the last minute to go to Jool, because I needed more science.

I'm thinking about something bigger for the next ship though. Having to shuffle ships around is a pain, and I needed satellites, which were not actually necessary original for the Duna mission, as they were there already.

Edited by Merinsan

I landed on Duna for the first time! :D

I've been to Duna, and landed on Ike. But I've never landed anything on duna. I've landed on Eve, Gilly, Mun, Minmus, Dres, Laythe, Tylo, bop, and Pol. And now finally Duna!

I should mention that most of those landings were unmanned. This duna landing brought a kerbal with it! Got loads of science from duna high orbit, duna low orbit, duna high atmo, duna low atmo, and landed.

Then rendezvoused with the main ship in orbit! So happy it all worked out. (Crazy, the lander ran out of fuel 1km from the main ship with 10 m/s relative to it. Good thing it had a little extra monoprop for docking. :) )

Now waiting a year and a half for a return window...yikes! (Also I didn't accept the. "Explore duna" contract cause I thought it was automatic.....which means my landing didn't count. :( )

Rage quit because my Moho intercept was a failure, in spite of Kerbal Alarm Clock giving me a go-ahead window. I have skimmed Jool and Duna once, each. I am at 830 hours now. What am I doing with my life.

-Khorso

I landed on Duna for the first time! :D ***

Now waiting a year and a half for a return window...yikes! (Also I didn't accept the. "Explore duna" contract cause I thought it was automatic.....which means my landing didn't count. :( )

If it were up to me, this is one thing I would recommend a fix within the contracts part of the game. Since the introduction of career and science modes, I have always felt there was something missing in regards to this. Back in .90, I did my typical thing of starting my sandbox and career games back at the beginning. Being restricted to just two contracts active at a time, I believe I selected one that dealt with testing a decoupler and one testing a parachute at a certain altitude and speed. I chose not to take the achieve orbit contract for some reason... So...to make a long story short, I decided the best way to do the tasks in one mission was to do a simple once-around-Kerbin orbit at 68K. The mission was successful and I did get credit for the decoupler test AND the chute test. When I went back to select the contract calling for a Kerbin orbit, it was gone and with it was the opportunity for more prestige and science.

What I would change would be that such a mission outcome would generate some rewards for achieving the milestones required of contracts not selected. Not necessarily the funding aspects since the contract was never activated, but maybe a portion of the science and the prestige. Let's face it; although Apollo 13 never completed its contractual goals of landing on the Lunar surface, collecting samples, setting up experiments, and testing new equipment, it did generate a lot of benefits for both the crew of the mission and NASA: 1) it created interest in the space program at a time when lunar missions had become boring to the general public, 2) it caused NASA and the Apollo 13 crew to use equipment and materials on board outside of their designed parameters, 3) Allowed NASA to develop protocols to deal with similar mission failures in future Apollo missions, and 4) challenged the manufacturers of space components, vehicles, and related materials to become more focused on quality control (NASA chose to ignore these protocols established by the aerospace industry and it led to the destruction of STS Challenger). All in all, a huge payoff for a mission that did not go as planned. :cool:

It's probably the wrong place to post this, but after reading your mission outcome, it just came bubbling out... :blush: