What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

27 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

I attempted to deorbit an asteroid, and to ride it in. Bad idea. The asteroid was destroyed, exploded, and took my capsule and crew with it. Lost were Tanfel and Modie Kermin, RIP.

2 minutes ago, Sharpy said:

You don't let kerbals ride asteroids on reentry. That stage must be unkerbed.

I once landed a class E. It survived the reentry - while every single astificial attachment (and there were a bunch!) literally turned into sparkly dust.

I was very sad when I discovered asteroids couldn't be used as heat shields :(

Just farting around with this thing today. Glides pretty well in the atmosphere, all things considered, and does all the normal, useless spaceplane stuff. Could probably reconfigure the cargo bay for a small satellite, I've got oodles of delta-V and thrust on the LV, but it's just a fuel cell and some batteries right now.

Probably get back to the Dakar challenge tomorrow, but my friend bought me the latest Deus Ex and, well, I finally have a game worthy of my laptop.

hPjtvLO.png

apRFiCm.png

2 hours ago, Brownhair2 said:

I was very sad when I discovered asteroids couldn't be used as heat shields :(

Yea, that's kind of what I was figuring on. I thought if it wasn't going to work, that I could detach at the last second and bring the capsule in normally. It all went south so fast though... one second all was cool, the next ..... poof! :/

2 hours ago, _Rade said:

Made one seaplane and fixed the fuselage on another one. Just replacing the advanced nose cone with the NCS adapter fixed the problem with the plane doing the front flip when landing on the water. It turns out the NCS adapter floats much better.

I'd be interested in hearing your assessment of landing; In a real plane (and normal flight simulators) you're required to land under power and throttle back slowly to prevent nose-diving.

On 22/12/2016 at 6:22 AM, Fearless Son said:

^^(How to get rid of?)^^

6 hours ago, Triop said:

Today,        BAM !

9XrQp9L.png

Groeten uit Maaskantje  :wink:

Je bent Nederlands?:D

What is there, a turret on your car? Dakar 2017 is insane!

Edited by AccidentsHappen

6 hours ago, LordFerret said:

I'd be interested in hearing your assessment of landing; In a real plane (and normal flight simulators) you're required to land under power and throttle back slowly to prevent nose-diving.

These two planes use stock propellers, where the propeller is a separate from the main craft. So it's not exactly easy to throttle them down. It can be done but I usually run them at full power and just turn them off for landing, or engage the SAS to stop the rotor from spinning altogether. The planes have fairly large wing area so you can nicely glide in for the landing.

Problem with the nose-diving was that once the plane would touchdown in the water, the front of the plane would sink more than it should and the drag from the water would cause it to do a front flip and end up on its back. Adding the NCS adapter to the plane nose fixed this, although it still can happen if your landing speed is to fast.

8 hours ago, AccidentsHappen said:

^^(How to get rid of?)^^

You can hold cmd and right-click it on mac and then press delete, guess it is ctrl and right-click on windows.

Today i sent a dressteroidcatcher to Dres, but when it arrived all my fuel had magically vanished, so the crew flew straight past it and back towards the Kerbol. Guess that i will have to do it once again, I am going to bring the dressteriod to Jool to my station when i finally get it.

Edited by Flamingo

I put a rotating bomb bay on my B-52, then did a few practice passes on the KSC. The rotation is really smooth, thanks to my finally biting the bullet and finally downloading Editor Extensions Redux. Also, eclipse.

FQGsbB6.png

11 hours ago, AccidentsHappen said:

^^(How to get rid of?)^^

Je bent Nederlands?:D

What is there, a turret on your car? Dakar 2017 is insane!

Erger nog zelfs, Brabander. :lol:

No turret, bigfood just "bumped" into the place, accidents happen. ^_^

Edited by Triop

With the airframe sorted Val tested the "Science Container Unloading Device" which may be renamed due to harassment by the Kerbal SAS.

screenshot87_zpsgj7ftuok.png

When asked "why drop them when you have to land to deploy them?" Val answered "raisins".

screenshot86_zpsly9k1z2z.png

Apparently repacking the parachutes was just habit. With the system functional the flight envelope was further explored.....

screenshot90_zpsglap4kmp.png

Whilst all this was rather jolly the higher echelons are insisting that something useful takes place. Nothing loath Val rounded up some ballast, packed up the scout rover and set off north towards a recently detected anomaly.

screenshot93_zpsbrluulhm.png

Overtaken by darkness they decided to set down until the view returned. Possibly for a few Martini's.

screenshot94_zpso7p6iksq.png

Turns out Val is a dab hand on the piano.

1 hour ago, Servo said:

I put a rotating bomb bay on my B-52, then did a few practice passes on the KSC. The rotation is really smooth, thanks to my finally biting the bullet and finally downloading Editor Extensions Redux. Also, eclipse.

FQGsbB6.png

It should be 3 revolvers....

48 minutes ago, dangerhamster said:

With the airframe sorted Val tested the "Science Container Unloading Device" which may be renamed due to harassment by the Kerbal SAS.

As a UK resident, i approve.

:D

I need some more female Kerbals for my current Duna Bothering Program, so i created some.
And i thought that i would need a tourist too, so i created a female tourist.
Look closely :D

2jhUCVt.png

But the rest of my mission is pretty serious:

t3b9zkI.png

57 minutes ago, Carl said:

hahaha, show off, now do the wing pylons you slacker :sticktongue:.

Also Munar eclipse, appropriate for armageddon...

Now witness the power of this fully armed and operational B-52 STRATOFORTRESS!

7TO5RfK.png

*Computer lags out*

Great, now thanks to you I crashed KSP for the first time in months. It turns out that ramping the part count from 400 to 700 does numbers on a computer...

Edited by Servo

14 minutes ago, Servo said:

Now witness the power of this fully armed and operational B-52 STRATOFORTRESS!

7TO5RfK.png

*Computer lags out*

Great, now thanks to you I crashed KSP for the first time in months. It turns out that ramping the part count from 400 to 700 does numbers on a computer...

Still not quite there. But i won't press you, i was joking with the last one and now i've crashed KSP on you. :(. Sorry.

Did some serious stuff, but also. This:

Some boosters hit the little blue button marked "Give Me More Fuel", some liquid boosters pull the big shiny lever marked "Give Me Lottsa Fuel", mammoth liquid boosters hit the big red button marked "Dump All The Fuel". This does all of the above and gives the engines laxatives so that they "Absolutely Excrete Fuel".

Yes that is some abusive quad coupler clipping to give me 9 mounting points for vectors. No i did not abuse that to clip engines inside each other, only 9. Yes i'm sure it's been done before.

God knows when i'd ever need to use this as an actual booster. 6 of these could first stage boost a 4.37k ton rocket. Thats a 2900 ton upper stage and payload combination. And thats Awesome, But Impractical.

And thats without adding Kickback SRB's to goose things...

Also damm censor, ruined my punchline... ;p

Edited by Carl

36 minutes ago, Carl said:

Still not quite there. But i won't press you, i was joking with the last one and now i've crashed KSP on you. :(. Sorry.

It's all good. Gave me the motivation to do my homework.

Edited by Servo

Got royally annoyed by a game bug. When I click to place the end of a strut or fuel line, KSP is registering that click twice - once to place the strut, but then AGAIN to rip the blooming target part off the rocket.

And no, I strongly doubt my mouse is faulty. One, the issue is too particular to that specific situation in KSP. Two, I tried unplugging my mouse and enabling mousekeys and still got the same issue.

To be frank I'm feeling done with KSP now if the game's still got such fundamental screwups.

Tme MTU Meteor is back home!

Meteoroid.png

Unfortunately it has only 40 m/s delta-v left. Which is just barely enough to perform a capture burn, but not enough to circularize. Probably because I never aerobraked.

So let's aerobrake!

Meteor.png

Several rounds of aerobraking later and I'm in a nice, circular orbit!

Good.png

My inclination, however, leaves much to be desired

Bad.png

Unfortunately I only have 7 m/s remaining, so I can't fix it. Oh well.

Edited by Brownhair2