What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Wondering how much more powerful the new ion engines were, I took an Aeris 3A, did some minor modifications, slapped a bunch of solar panels on it, and flew it to the island and back, with enough xenon left over to theoretically fly out there again.

S7l8fKK.jpg

I went to Moho with an Ion probe! I originally was going to Dres except I messed up the inclination but I could get an Eve assist and get to Moho with slight adjustments. I arrived at Moho and I spent 20IRL minutes slowing down :D

I haven't really been playing with ARM much, as I'm waiting for compatibility mods for all of the mods I use. I did want to try all the new stuff out for myself, though, so I started a stock sandbox save and started looking for asteroids. I was going to start with a class A, but then I spotted a class E on a collision course with Kerbin, and felt obliged to do something about this. You will be pleased to know that I didn't just divert the asteroid's course (despite having forgotten to put RCS on my ship), I even managed to put it in an inclined retrograde orbit whose apoapsis was inside the Mun's orbit.

Finally landed on Gilly, after the craft dancing around the surface for 10 minutes.

2ikoya.png

I need to redesign the pusher stage I think cause I only have 150 units of fuel and I am not certain that will be enough to get back to Kerbin :huh:

I plan on trying out the an ARM mission tonight. Like most of my adventures, it takes me about 4 hours to get my rocket the way I want it.

My usual process is: Build, Launch to about 30,000m(usually because I forget something), revert back to vehicle assembly, fix, launch, watch rocket explode, revert back to vehicle assembly and on and on until I finally get the rocket just right.:)

Love this game.

Got hit by FALLING debris on reentry. I decided to leave a low orbit and pointed straight down (not the wisest idea I had), I guess the path of the capsule and the fuel tank I added specifically for reentry got the same path.

I can only imagine poor Bob's thoughts (Jeb of course was smiling the whole way):

"Yay! Mission is over! What is that burning object that is getting clâ€â€"

*Mission over: Catastrophic Failure*

I landed on the Mun Apollo-style.

ion_mun_1.jpeg

Kind of.

ion_mun_2.jpeg

It wasn't really feasible to add enough solar panels to feed all those ion engines, so I added a lot of batteries instead. (In retrospect, I should have added even more.) I started the landing by killing all velocity with the command module, then detached the lander, and accelerated the command module back to orbit. The lander descended at 1/3 thrust until about 7 km above surface, where I started the final suicide burn.

ion_mun_3.jpeg

I got back to orbit with a slim margin. First I climbed at 60 degrees until the batteries ran out, and then I burned prograde at the sustainable 1/3 thrust until the apoapsis. When the lander started falling, I turned the nose gradually higher and higher. The final circularization was done with the nose pointing to 60 degrees, with the lander barely missing a big crater rim. The initial orbit was something like 20x6 km.

I spent a while scouting out manoeuvre nodes for an Eve, Moho, and beyond flyby mission. I worked out that I want to encounter Eve at its node with respect to Moho, so I can use the gravity assist to match Moho's inclination. That should be possible by leaving LKO about 20 days from now.

Then I started putting together an asteroid rendezvous mission, and in testing I did my first docking :)

It was only with the ship I'd undocked from, but still. Went flying off course at first, but then brought things back under control, and even though I came in quite obliquely the ports still magneted together.

Last night while landing on Kerbin I had this problem as I noticed no ground (water in this case as the landing geatrs would have kept it together):

F1E65A32DD7186CEFF7C09CDA71331202DFFCAAE

Well my closest roid to Kerbin Enounter known to me so far today. Got ready for 2 roid captures just need to wait for them to show up. But, with this one. I Guess I'll need a 3rd one.

596DCE753B069701B8F663CF16E947B99BD12939

Guest LTrotsky

Landed and took off and re-landed and took off from Minmus with two surface samples in the landing module from two different biomes. How many surface samples can a 1 man lander hold?

Landed and took off and re-landed and took off from Minmus with two surface samples in the landing module from two different biomes. How many surface samples can a 1 man lander hold?

A very large number. However many surface biomes there are in the game, that's how many it can hold. And it can technically hold more, but you can't have 2 of any one sample in the same capsule.

Well last night I decided to go with a clean install for the ARM pack, so I spent most of that on refiguring mods and KSO shenanigans. Today was a continuation of that, but I also restarted my career mode. Time to update the ribbons!

I redirected a class D object that was going to intersect with the southern hemisphere of Kerbin. Phip Kerman is now a hero on his world, for his vailiant skills, and ability to return to the surface after such a harrowing maneuver, in which he had to use his RCS to finish the job, since he nearly emptied his entire fuel reserve. He was able to save the day, however!!

Seriously, best addition ever to the game. Wish there was more science, but wow. I hope in the future we can use the asteroids to add to our cash.