What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

i was derping with jump beacons mod and finally got it to work on 1.0.5,than i managed to put epl/oks station in the orbit of thahmo.

got some fresh rocket part supplies to the station and build a funky space plane...need to bring more engineers to the station,so far i got 9 only and 2 pilots for the "run ways".eg3v7.png1z4hc0j.pngi really like neidon without a doubt my favorite gas giant :P23m0c95.png23v1ais.pngthatmo landing on this bird,was "fun" 1zq6btc.pngafter 5-6 failed landing attempts i realized that this is not the most ideal lander for thathmo because of its "aggressive" terrain that filled with slopes....but than the most derpy and amazing thing happen to me that can only happen in ksp,i hit the ground with 5ms,trying to do fancy landing and aim for my best,the lander hit the ground flipped a lil bit and i managed perfectly land with out any problems.:D only in ksp!2w7k3ll.pngsnjbpd.pngso far away from mother kerbin! *sad music*9u6is3.png

16 hours ago, Kerbol Macrosystems said:

I use this technique all the time!

You misunderstood. That was the pod he spawned in - I just flown by with a probe to gain control (no navigation nodes yet for precise rendezvous), and pushed it down from orbit in EVA.

Tested a tourist rocket. It can send 4 Kerbals on a fly-by of Minmus free return of course. Played it safe with the perikee at 50 km on return, which was actually rather high. So far so good, though.

Final descent into the atmosphere. The transfer stage is at this point still attached; it had parachutes and would land with the capsule. The parachute indicators said it was safe. Waited a bit just to make sure, and staged.

The parachutes instantly ripped off. Panicking, I ejected the capsule and activated the emergency retro-boosters. It wasn't enough. The capsule, with its four hypothetical tourists, was destroyed on impact. I lost tens of thousands of funds on the "recoverable" transfer stage alone. :( 

This is why we do tests.

On a side note, I did some science when I realized that EVA report from low orbit was biome specific. On landing, I found an oasis (in what looks like a salt flat) where the pilot waited for the recovery team.

Edited by msasterisk
clarity

4 hours ago, Proteus said:

i was derping with jump beacons mod and finally got it to work on 1.0.5,than i managed to put epl/oks station in the orbit of thahmo.

got some fresh rocket part supplies to the station and build a funky space plane...need to bring more engineers to the station,so far i got 9 only and 2 pilots for the "run ways".eg3v7.png1z4hc0j.pngi really like neidon without a doubt my favorite gas giant :P23m0c95.png23v1ais.pngthatmo landing on this bird,was "fun" 1zq6btc.pngafter 5-6 failed landing attempts i realized that this is not the most ideal lander for thathmo because of its "aggressive" terrain that filled with slopes....but than the most derpy and amazing thing happen to me that can only happen in ksp,i hit the ground with 5ms,trying to do fancy landing and aim for my best,the lander hit the ground flipped a lil bit and i managed perfectly land with out any problems.:D only in ksp!2w7k3ll.pngsnjbpd.pngso far away from mother kerbin! *sad music*9u6is3.png

I take it back.

Whatever mods Proteus is using should be stock. :0.0:

-Jn-

These photos represent the efforts of my last 2 weeks of work.  Though it uploaded in reverse order than I intended, the last 3 show a nice little Minmas base I've designed and am rather proud of.  It is balanced to allow direct launch & flight to its deployment zone, and looks quite "base-ey".  It has 4 small sparks to accommodate landing, so I will not certify it for Mun use "as-is".

The remainder of the photos show the unmanned test-flight of my Duna vehicle, the Mars II.  It successfully landed and returned to orbit, and I am highly confident that its 3700 units of fuel will be sufficient to return to Kerbin, the transfer window for which I am currently awaiting.

As I have had unfortunate occurrences with Nuclear engines, there will be a 5 person capsule in orbit at mission time, just in case a secondary vehicle is required.

Well, it's been a great adventure for Danvey, Lealian and Lindra on Duna. But it's time to think about going home. This was probably the last Duna mission for the successful Ikaros_D family of sub-types, D, E, F and G. It's fitting that it was the first time rovers were brought to Duna. It's also fitting that it's my most junior team of astronauts, getting to still make their first visit to Duna in this classic vessel. But now it's time to retract ladders and solarpanels, stow away the porcelain and XBoxes, and strap into the seats of the Command-module.

screenshot3506j.jpg

Immediately as the rocket lifts clear, the four landing gears are blown off. As two of the radial tanks are already completely empty (they are used up during the landing) they will soon make the landing struts company.

screenshot3516j.jpg

A pretty view of the great canyon that was their home for a year or so, as the Ikaros_G rapidly ascends.

screenshot3523j.jpg

Back into it's natural element, space, blasting for lateral speed to achieve stable orbit.

screenshot3541j.jpg

Well, they were a bit short on chemical fuel - a consequence of the difficult landing done in the style of better safe than sorry - so Danvey didn't achieve orbit with the landing/takeoff engine, despite a rather aggressive ascent profile. That was sort of expected though, so no worries, eject the rocket, extend radiators and light up the journey-engines. It easily achieves orbit and the fuel budget is still good.

screenshot3549j.jpg

Danvey at the controls. Goodbye Duna.    ...For this time.

screenshot3553j.jpg

P.S. Note that my images on this page are 'already' loaded, as the others are still just beginning. Why? Because I compress them into jpegs of 40-100K size. Just a friendly tip.
And yeah, I know, I should use Imgur instead. I don't think that will happen in this thread though. I try to limit myself to like 4 images, even if it becomes yet another sometimes, ;-)   If I'd used Imgur, there would be a dozen or more. I'll think about it if I post in mission reports sometime.

Edited by Vermil

Today i built and tested a new short Mk. III spaceplane design and delivered a full orange tank to 82 km circular orbit on its maiden flight. However, it needs quite some work for optimization, as it was almost out of oxidizer... just a cough was left for de-orbit. I am aiming for 300 to 500 m/s of Delta V for orbital acrobatics. That will take a while... or two ;) 

yf7XTfS.png

intended to present some glamour shots of my spaceplane sitting on Duna. First launch of a spaceplane from Minmus. A few seconds after hitting the spacebar and my flight path was already leaving Minmus SOI. Oops. Ease off the throttle next time Jeb! It's all good as it gave me an opportunity to match inclination. Then made a 650 dv burn for Duna. Warped to Duna SOI and it was like leaving hyper space in Star Wars and finding yourself facing asteroids, except here it was Ike. Narrowly missed but it threw my inclination way off track. Took two passes to get captured and lower Pe enough to land. Everything was going well until the ground jumped up and smacked the plane.  F5 would have been a smart move. Live and learn, well not Jeb. He's dead.

5 hours ago, Frank_G said:

Today i built and tested a new short Mk. III spaceplane design and delivered a full orange tank to 82 km circular orbit on its maiden flight. However, it needs quite some work for optimization, as it was almost out of oxidizer... just a cough was left for de-orbit. I am aiming for 300 to 500 m/s of Delta V for orbital acrobatics. That will take a while... or two ;) 

yf7XTfS.png

Hey dude, I love your technique of using the the big-s wings as strakes, but how do you deal with the really wide base? I always have trouble hiding that in the structure of the wing...

Tried for a Callisto landing today, should have brought another 2~3km/s of delta-V with me...

Here's the craft with a sort of "Russian Centaur" transfer stage; started with about 7.2km/s in the tank on an RD-0146, I kept it along and made a ~590m/s correction burn after hydrogen boil-off, then used the spare hydrazine during the trip for more corrections until it ran out.  The lander there has an S5.92 in between a pair of RTGs, couldn't find a better place for them.  Whole thing, all 18 tons, was brought to orbit on some kind of Zenit-alike monster, RD-171M on the bottom with a pair of NK-9Vs for the second stage.

WCece97.png

Best I could do after two low Callisto intercepts and all my hydrazine:

XE4kFfY.png

Edited by regex

2 hours ago, Red Dwarf said:

Hey dude, I love your technique of using the the big-s wings as strakes, but how do you deal with the really wide base? I always have trouble hiding that in the structure of the wing...

Thank you!

I dont really hide them - i actually tried that with earlier designs, but that always ended in stacked wing-structures, that were as ugly as they were impractical... The big-s wings are slightly angled upwards, so the tip-end fits nicely to the smaller wings. The thicker base is just not visible, as it is covered by the rear "spoilers" (which couldnt be seen in the last screenshot very well).

ZkjbNtw.png

Here, take a look at the craftfile.

Relevant action-groups are: 1 / 2 - toggle R.A.P.I.E.R. engines | 3 - switch engine cycle | 4 - close intakes

Edited by Frank_G

Had some somewhat intense mis-adventures around Eve.  'Turns out I'm not very good at Eve aerobraking, but I'm also more than a bit lucky with them.

Project Bring'em Home Day 3:

Next episode: Onward to Gilly! or: Are you sure that's enough time to brake this thing?!