You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

This assembly has been filled with these moments. So close but not going to happen. The fins are obstructing the path. The Cherry Picker Crane is blocked and cannot proceed.  Working on this minimalist project has been filled with all sorts of engineering challenges.

e4N0H9U.png

The payload was assembled from three components that are assembled on the ground horizontal. Then a two part HtoV crane attaches to the payload and lifts the payload vertical. Finally the Cherry Picker removes the payload from the HtoV crane and reverses until off the launchpad.  Once the launchpad is clear the rocket is assembled and made up from nine components.  The Cherry picker then moves into position to deliver the payload to the top of the booster assembly.  That plan failed when the fins obstructed the path pf the Cherry Picker crane.

Failure to thoroughly inspect the mock up has caused many such failures.  Just before this the rocket support wheels were colliding and luckily an easy solution was found: just decouple them from the rocket.  The vessel remained in position but now these fins are making me salty.

The amount of clearance needed is under 0.25 metre.  The lower part of the HtoV crane will need to be altered once again which will include repositioning the wheels.

In my FASA/Realism Overhaul career, I missed my Duna transfer window by about 70 days. So, naturally,  I decided to see how fast I could get to Duna using chemical rockets without the alt-f12 menu. A massive heat shield was installed, and the probe was launched on board a modified Saturn 1B.

36 short days later, the Duna Orbiter entered the red planet's sphere of influence moving at 10km/s relative to Duna. The moment the spacecraft touched the wispy outer edges of the atmosphere, a decoupler failed and the heat shield rammed through the rest of the spacecraft. 

Long story short, just wait for the next launch window.

Edited by RogueNine
i can't figure out how to post screenshots :(

Got all the way out to Minmus before realizing that there had been a ... we'll call it a mishap in the placement of the landing legs.

2i7blsy.png

Fortunately, the "landing" contracts only require that you touch down, so I just touched the surface and rammed the throttle before tipping over.

4 hours ago, JoeNapalm said:

Yggdrasil Orbital Fuel Depot, ready for deployment!:

ADB81D3D0FAFB9B62A6C441A666871C68C2E6B24

Annnnd when someone forgets to properly stage one of the TT18-A Launch Stability Enchancer clamps:

ED969E37CB03CC61ACE31BADC5815C9B829901C6

-Jn-

Well, it certainly looks more like Yggdrasil now, although the 'orbital' may be a bit of a misnomer.

On 2/18/2016 at 4:08 PM, JoeNapalm said:

Yggdrasil Orbital Fuel Depot, ready for deployment!:

Quite apt.  Yggdrasil was just 1 example of the pretty much universal shamanic meme of the "world tree", the "axis mundi", the link between the Underworld, this world, and the Overworld.  Looks like it's fulfilling it's purpose :D

Took my beauty for a spin. It exploded on the way to orbit. Well, it normally does that if I'm slightly careless, but now it happened on like 50km... that's a new record, I always though the air is too thin there. Science, eh? So I decoupled everything that wasn't needed for an emergency landing, ditched the payload... and -bang- atmo gave another slap on the way back. Lost engines, most control surfaces, and got into a flat spin.

But no worries, managed to stabilize it facing retrograde, and did a perfect backwards landing (upside down for a more gentle splashdown). No (further) harm done. I have the impression that the Husstle is very safe. Well, it does more RUDs than orbits, but somehow it never claimed a life. How nice.

On February 21, 2016 at 6:57 PM, Kuansenhama said:

S4RKqqs.png

Only missed KSC by ONE continent this time...

This is why I started putting up a satellite in geostationary orbit approximately where my decent should begin. Different craft have different profiles of course, but the satellite is far easier to interact with than the flag at KSP. 

I do not have pictures except some fail story to share.

So early-mid career game and have two contracts send a satellite in Minmus orbit and also keep line of sight of a certain spot and another contract to send tourist on orbital flight at minmus. So for some reason I thought that I could combine those two in one so I have put a probe to fly a tourist and also be in its asked orbit for sat contract. Also I am using RT2 so tourist would be in hands of RT2 new skills and a probe. Also I wanted to try how would I land a probe using RT2 mod and flight computer.

try no:
1) Goes all well however sat contract wont complete and on way back after setting Pe at 25km I detached part of the ship that had all comm equipment and my retrorockets and parachutes have not been armed.

2) now try to only do sat contract.

Get in LKO and does a staging. But stages switched places so that I staged last stage that would return craft back and circularize orbit for minmus and transfer stage. So once I was in orbit I accidentally ditched the fully fueled and unused transfer stage. -_-

Wasted 2.5hours

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.