You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

Suffered my first full loss in my current RSS / RO / RP-0 career. Was about to send my first probe to the Moon which was ment to become a polar orbit scan sattelite.

Here it is sitting on the launchpad at Kourou, French Guiana. If you look closely, you can already see the fatal design flaw that caused the catastrophy...

K3N1npo.jpg

Lift off... Yup... that puff of smoke at the up right launch-clamp is a stabilizer-fin colliding and beeing ripped off...

UEyDBL1.jpg

The vessel cleared the pad (dont ask me how the other outer fin on the left didnt collide) and at first I thought I could keep the ascent under control and proceed with the mission...

3OMeHzi.jpg

But as the streaming air pressure increased, the assimetry began to pull on the rocket...

wgSF2qH.jpg

At last it flipped out of control...

N8mYXxK.jpg

And was ripped apart by the aerodynamic stress...

ZRrR5hB.jpg

Edited by TrooperCooper

2 hours ago, Randazzo said:

Early testing stages for the STS challenge are off to a good start.

HAHA How have you managed to achieve flying in that direction considering the position of the SRB's?!

In pursuit of pushing the limit of my A380 Stupor Krumbo air-frame I might have overstepped it a little.

Definitely the largest explosion I've produced in this game to date!

SM

14 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

HAHA How have you managed to achieve flying in that direction considering the position of the SRB's?!

In pursuit of pushing the limit of my A380 Stupor Krumbo air-frame I might have overstepped it a little.

SM

Now, THAT is spontaneous disassembly.  

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2015 at 5:36 AM, Speeding Mullet said:

The vectors+mainsail overpowered them handily, plus I might have been trying to launch in that direction to test the flight worthiness of the shuttle before trying to do reentry in it. I realized I was tipping over much too fast and cut the main engines, but it was much too late.

Afterwards I did successfully land the cockpit in the desert, followed by landing the whole shuttle in the desert, progressed to reentry and landing the cockpit in the water, and finally landing the majority of the shuttle on the runway. Once I get the process down to landing all of the shuttle on the runway all of the time, I'm golden.

Edited by Randazzo

3 minutes ago, Speeding Mullet said:

Ahhh I see!  I'll look out for your shuttle in the challenge thread, it looks like an interesting concept!  Presumably you'll just dial down/up the vector engines dependent on the payload weight?

SM

That particular setup was only the second flight (the first fell apart on the pad.. I'm used to KJR and forgot the struts), and was just for testing in the atmosphere. I'm using a pretty conventional design to get to orbit now. Honestly, much of the challenge is gone from shuttle building with the new parts for it, but flying it and landing it are still tricky. The engine block has the unfortunate tendency to separate from the rest of the ship upon landing.

On December 27, 2015 at 6:36 AM, Speeding Mullet said:

SM

Craft file?

1 hour ago, CliftonM said:

Craft file?

There's 3 available sizes:

1)  A380 Stupor Krumbo - 724 seats, actually very flyable

2)  A380 Stupor Krumbo Beluga - 820 seats, just about flyable

3)   A380 Stupor Krumbo Choad Goliath Beluga Guppy - 1024 seats.  Will still take off before the end of the runway (just).  Barely flyable.

I used them to enter Inigma's Largest Aircraft to Land at KSC Island Challenge

SM

10 minutes ago, DarthVader said:

attempting to lift my 78 ton manned Jool expedition into orbit on one rocket, things didn't go well at all. http://imgur.com/fSSQQGX how do i embed this on the new forum?

Click on "Insert other media", "insert image from URL", and paste this in the box: http://i.imgur.com/fSSQQGX.png

• 2 weeks later...

So I was testing out some mods in my 1.0.5 sandbox save. One of the mods I wanted to try was Remote Tech; I'd used it before but never on interplanetary missions. So I sent a flyby probe out to Jool just to see how it was working. It arrived, everything in working order, but no connection.

I checked everything I could think of: the probe had plenty of electricity, the dish was targeted correctly and switched on, the receiving dish at Kerbin was also targeted correctly. Then I looked at the map:

AUAZLBv.jpg?1

Couldn't have timed the encounter more perfectly if I'd been trying. (Just in case it's not clear from the picture: the problem was that the Sun was exactly between Kerbin and my probe, blocking the line of sight.)

• 3 weeks later...

Ever get those days when the Mission Director is just a fecking idiot!

Had 2 station missions, one for Minimus orbit with 5 seats, a lab, docking port, antenna, etc, and one for a Kerbol orbit with the same spec but 2 pilots on board.  Should be a simple case of orbiting Minimus then going on to a solar orbit, dropping the lab and some empty fuel tanks and bringing the crew home in the Mk1-2 capsule...easy...right?

Launch 1 - Orbited Minimus, went for solar orbit, realised it was going to take longer than originally thought and the ship didn't have enough life support (only recently started using USI-LS, never bothered too much about mission duration before), plus it looked like it might take more dV to get back to Kerbin in a sensible time than I thought too - Revert to VAB for a redesign

Launch 2 - A bit underpowered - Revert to VAB and swap a couple of skippers for mainsails

Launch 3 - Went off course really quickly, weird bug where one engine doesn't think it has fuel - Revert to VAB

Launch 4 - Reached Minimus orbit, contract not completing...D'Oh, forgot the docking port on the redesign - Revert to VAB

Launch 5 - Reached Minimus orbit, contract still not completing...$%^*!, forgot the flipping antenna as well! - Revert to VAB

Launch 6 - Finally completed both missions, and turned out I had about twice as much fuel and life support as needed.  Way less required to get back in to Kerbin SOI than planned so used the engines to brake in to the atmosphere, but started them a bit too early, got in to way too steep a descent for my speed, just managed to get the parachute open at about 1000m and survived the landing.

Then I sent a mission to scan the Mun for resources and the bloody M700 scanner doesn't seem to be working properly:mad:

Developing a new Shuttle as a follow on from my Buran and experimenting with enhanced capability launch failure systems, mostly because I have to.  The shuttle as it stands is absolutely perfect apart from one critical step; re-entry, as you can see:

The front end of the shuttle is explosively separated from the body of the shuttle and set up so it will always immediately find prograde even if the abort is completed at a funny angle.  The front end is capable of water based as well as land based touchdowns, and can abort to orbit, abort de-orbit with its RCS engines, or just handle those harsh re-entry meltdowns.

SM

Trying to create a drop rover and it's going pretty well.  Nice design, has the power to lift itself off the ground on Kerbin, all is going well.  Decide to move on to the next phase, test drops from a plane in the atmosphere.  Whip up a quick design...

Capture1.png

Looks ok.  Lets give it a go!

Capture2.png

Didn't go very far.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.