You Will Not Go To Space Today - Post your fails here!

Mastodon

So I attempted my first Apollo style Mun landing. However, the "get up into orbit stage" did not get me into orbit, so after dipping into Mun transfer stage, I was cronically short on fuel. (I did land on the Mun, however) The return trip landed me with a Kerbin orbit of 500,000m and 13,750,000m at a 4.8 degrees off the equator.... I blame Jeb.

After a super complicated encounter, I ran out of fuel on the deorbit burn. I did, however, have almost 5000 units of RSC (don't ask), so after 5 minutes of RCS burning, all Kerbals are saftely back on Kerbin.

Attempt #1 at a Mun landing, 1 way trip

Using MJ2. Landing autopilot engaged. Plenty of fuel left. Coming in for a landing. Final descent. Time to see where the landing is. OH SNAP, CRATER. Well, I guess I'll let it go on. 50 meters. 40 meters. 30 meters. 25 meters. 20. 15. 10. 5. Touchdown. Leaning quite a bit. Starting to slide down the hill. Going a bit faster. Almost down there. Damn, the leg broke. I'M FALLING!! The command module is exploding. The kerbals are dying. The flames have devoured the kerbals. The command module is gone. End the mission.

Upon orbiting Mun for the first time, I moved my Kerbalnauts to the M.E.M (Munar Excursion Module) from the command module and prepared to decouple for the journey to the surface. I then discovered my M.E.M had no power (no solar panels, no battery) and no RCS nozzles (I did have an RCS fuel tank). Thus, no landing...

I returned home in shame.

I ditched my abort system too soon!

SrFcDjo.png

After emergency dropping of everything.

Come on! I can still save them! We can still make orbit!

They did. But there was no cliff climbing on the Mun for those guys.

Edited by Tw1

I had just bought KSP, I spent hours designing a rocket to get my first probe to orbit Kerbin, realized I completely botched up the staging, spent minutes re-organizing the staging, took off and everything went great! ....Until I decoupled the rocket boosters a little too soon...

The "disassembling" of my rocket was quite fascinating to watch I might add. If I can figure out how to share the vid, I'll post it.

Edit: So apparently my computer doesn't like taking screenshots of videos. What happened was I decoupled the solid rocket boosters while they still had some fuel and one of them happened to punch right into the middle of my rocket. Fun times!

Edited by Hav0c13

I built a multipurpose unmanned Duna 'Round Trip', a ship with 2 probes and a rover that I could just eject and deploy once I was in LDO (Low Duna Orbit). The probes went off fine, so I proceeded to launch the rover and its retrorockets so it could land.

Unfortunately for me, I soon realised that I had no rover control. Looking around at it I saw it had no probe core. After face palming suitably I abandoned the debris and destroyed the rover from the tracking station (I usually leave debris up for realism, but this was just annoying and I wanted rid of the thing).

I proceeded to the VAB to create a new rover, and whilst adapting the launch stage from the previous mission I saw that I had indeed had a core on the rover-I had been in docking mode and, due to a lack of RCS my angry WASD and space bar bashing had proven fruitless. I once again face palmed profusely and then sat in front of the TV watching Game of Thrones and hating myself for deleting the rover.

The moral is: DON'T BE STUPID LIKE ME-BE SMRT.

The only failures I can recall, espacially one in particular, was when I was all like: "I'm freaking noob! I'mma make me a space station, btu **** the clamps, and learning how to dock altoghter, I'll just make this one thang, and worry bout it later!"

Upon launch the rockomax jumbo 64 tanks fly off the rocket, explode, AND destory anything next to and above them, destroying all but the bottom most piece, a single Mainsail

In my first .21 Duna mission, I had attached a drogue chute to a docking port to help with aerobraking to establish orbit. It never deployed during the maneuver but I was able to economically establish a nice orbit. Then I took my lander down, and that was when the drogue deployed. As soon as it caught enough air, however, it left my craft, taking the docking port with it. The very docking port I planned to use to dock a remote fueler I would send to the planet later, as I expected to have only enough fuel to re-establish orbit. The two main chutes I had included and deployed for the landing engaged just fine and stayed right on the craft where I put them.

So now any mission to bring back the Duna crew just got a lot more expensive. (Lately, I have been getting in the habit of becoming budget-minded with my ships, to prepare myself for campaign mode. It has made things a bit more challenging. And fun.)

What have we learned? Drogue chutes are out to screw you, and docking ports are stronger than some may let on. I'd have to imagine that with further physics application, half the capsule would have been torn away along with the docking port. Good thing kerbals are in the habit of wearing helmets inside space capsules.

I had two catastrophic missions: One was a Laythe Probe Lander which landed, but the landing legs were too weak and fell off the probe. It flipped over.

Second was a huge mission, one rocket bringing a one-man-lander to Duna and back. My first try failed: I landed on a hillside, the.lander flipped over and couldn't start off again...

My first space station had to be brought down from orbit because I installed all the docking ports upside-down... Imagine my facepalm when I right-clicked on the empty docking port, saw the "undock" button... And then watched as the whole Clamp-o-Tron Sr flew away from the station after undocking into deep space...

I had just build an insanely powerful asparagus-less lifter.

Stage 0: Payload.

Stage 1: Single Skipper.

Stage 2: 4 Skippers, 2 Mainsails.

Stage 3: 10 Mainsails.

The launch clamps obstucted most of the struts I had placed, resulting in a fiery kaboom when half of stage 3 fell off at engine ignition/clamp declamping.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.