SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

You must be a very aesthetically talented person, I mean, I can get a plane to look that cool once in a while, but you churn out beauties non-stop.

Rune. Design does go faster with experience.

I'm a lazy artist, but mostly I've just been looking at airplanes, and drawing airplanes since I was a little kid. KSP is like a 3D airplane drawing program!

Here is another:

czK4oaz.png

mTE9wQx.png

31PC4Jp.png

It still needs lots of work, mostly concerning build finesse. Its a little wobbly and loosey-goosey, as well as other little niggling things that annoy me, but SOON.

I'll polish all these planes that are 95% done and release them in a pack by the end of this weekend for those who want to mess around with them.

Finally did it, I have gone absolutely crazy. Here is a SSTO Spaceplane for the Real Solar System with RO plugin.

I can imagine how much more difficult it might be to do this, but I've never played with RSS. What's the hardest part of getting a space plane working in that mod?

Edited by Exothermos

I have an Hybrid SSTO, that is a heavy lifter i most use. To prove it is a SSTO, it can come back from a 100km orbit, with the service module in it, without detach, but this vehicle, is made to bring all my cargo to space.

Here i have some examples:

12965882754_2e00bb7e3a_o.png

12965874964_cf7a507455_o.png

The hybrid heavy lifter.

12829961105_30ebe1e1e0_o.png

My actual service module:

12963386904_de47ba74bb_o.png

Here the heaviest cargo i put in orbit with it until now.

12778495745_cebfd1ac21_o.png

A failure launch. All of then now have parachutes to land, but all is capable of an hot landing too. The parachutes are to keep the project effective low cost.

12965862694_6ac761250d_o.png

And here the Kerbin Space Lab Station i put togeter all with this hybrid lifter.

12961949785_63a60cfb7c_o.jpg

Edited by Climberfx

I can imagine how much more difficult it might be to do this, but I've never played with RSS. What's the hardest part of getting a space plane working in that mod?

The hardest thing is actually the amount of delta/V required to get to orbit and taking the right mix of fuel and engines while keeping your mass and drag down.

One comment by Giggleplex got me thinking about big SSTO's and well... this happened. The LR version (one single cockpit, even more fuel instead) has 3.125km/s on orbit, this one 2.7. On a single RAPIER's isp. And the aerodynamics are still awesome, just slightly worse than the White Dart.

oezeCms.png

Rune. And IMO, it doesn't look bad either.

Edited by Rune

Regex, cool shuttle!
That looks great! I've got to get myself something along those lines. And ditto on the cargo bay, such a part should make it into the stock game.

Thank you both! It's low on the part count, perfect for my laptop, but it doesn't bring much more than five tons to orbit. Still, I find myself wanting to use it for everything. Exothermos, love your "wide-mouth bass" plane, BTW, fantastic work!

Fatty series shuttles

Here is two low orbit shuttle Fatty series - VTOL and HTOL version. Can carry as maximum 6 brave kerbals on board (also can fly in fully automatic mode), 400+ km orbit is reachable. Both version can implement unpowered landing, but VTOL version with minor damages.

0h4LofV.jpge7D173w.jpg

And happy together :)

K0s6ySj.png

More pictures

I have an Hybrid SSTO, that is a heavy lifter i most use. To prove it is a SSTO, it can come back from a 100km orbit, with the service module in it, without detach, but this vehicle, is made to bring all my cargo to space.

Here i have some examples:

This is a really nice lifter. It will come in handy when they come out with the money system.

How many and what type of engines are you using?

Returning from the Mun, Lost control of aircraft, regained control over the ocean, had hardly any fuel to get back to land, made the decision to land in the ocean.

Jedediah is the best pilot..

He has been in so many crashes and he always survives *__*

I'm going to give up on this type of SSTO design, it is far too troublesome....

tumblr_n24479lQsx1r2k180o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n24479lQsx1r2k180o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n24479lQsx1r2k180o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_n24479lQsx1r2k180o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_n24479lQsx1r2k180o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_n24479lQsx1r2k180o6_1280.jpg

tumblr_n24479lQsx1r2k180o7_1280.jpg

tumblr_n24479lQsx1r2k180o8_1280.jpg

tumblr_n24479lQsx1r2k180o9_1280.jpg

tumblr_n24479lQsx1r2k180o10_1280.jpg

This is a really nice lifter. It will come in handy when they come out with the money system.

How many and what type of engines are you using?

Hi Pauly, thanks.

It uses 20 Speed Jets, 5x4. 4 Liquid tanks, that if you put 50 ton on 100 km orbit, will fully deplete.

One main sail on middle, just to final circularization, but on full cargo, you will get on orbit with enough fuel to come back without cargo and land on KSC.

But with other common lighter cargos, is easy to get orbit and stay with more then 1000 m/v of dV.

Is my lucky Lifter. Almost of then got back on the pad.

Cheers

;)

12987318835_39a7641188_o.png

Edited by Climberfx

If you put two reaction wheels on either side of the craft along the center of mass you would have good control of the craft without the need of using RCS when in atmosphere.

I actually did do that (that was my last change) but sometimes I forget to turn off RCS in the atm cause there's a ton of it.

I just made my first super ssto with both vtol capability and extremely good handling in the lower atmosphere. The updated unsc sabre for more affordable and interesting combat operations.

Download file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lyh7fwc644ah1c8/YSS-2600.craft

1. vtol toggle

2. turbine toggle

3. rapier toggle

4. sensor toggle

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Using Infernal Robotics, B9, and pWings I came up with a shuttle that I've been designing for awhile. My goal was to fit it inside the s2 wide cargobay in the b9 pack. After a lot of trial and error and different designs I came up with the turtle.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

She's not the most maneuverable in atmo but it's very flyable. She's capable of transporting 4 kerbals into LKO. The highest I've tested is 175x175km but I'm confident she could reach at least 250km with fuel to spare. Its VTOL is very stable and the kerbals managed to invent a matter condensing device to hide those wings:D This is the first SSTO I've posted here too so go easy ^^

I guess I can mention the larger cargo plane too since it's also an SSTO. It's something I whipped up in 5 minutes to test the ability of the Turtle to fit and actually dock into the cargo bay. It's got a few problems that could be weeded up but I've only flown it twice :P It could probably lift an orangetank + large rcs tank on its own since it had plenty of dv left once I got it into orbit empty.

Soup

Edited by How2FoldSoup