SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

I can't seem to stop making big beautiful infinite range SSTO starships... it's like I'm addicted or something. This one is a remake of a Jool-5 ship I originally did back in 0.90 that I named the Argo. There will need to be a few more tweaks before I can land this puppy on Tylo though - and 29 engines is getting a bit out of hand.

po739V7.png

mr2LpXh.png

JR

Edited by Jolly_Roger

Back to making big craft... This one christened the Bishop Star Cruiser is able to get to Minmus with a lab and ISRU on board.

It's beautiful, but for some reason I suspect the embedded link to sketchfab is killing this page in IE (works on Chrome though). Of course, why are you using IE in the first place is a perfectly valid response to that... :)

- - - Updated - - -

(Edit: this was my entry for SSTOs but it got tacked to the last message)

My Transport SSTO MKIV, gets to orbit easily with over 2.7 km/s left in the tanks.

The three rapiers seem arranged asymetrically, but they're nearly perfectly balanced using RCS Build Aid mod, so there's virtually no engine torque.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The two rcs blocks/ports on the wings are in line with the COM, giving it balanced translate and attitude control for every direction but pitch.

There's some fuel connectors which are required for fueling the rapiers in closed cycle, but on the upside there's little or no need to pump fuel around manually to keep it balanced.

Craft file here if anyone's interested.

Edited by FyunchClick
added link to craft file

I just had time to test my Bird of Goo series in KSP 1.0+

They seem to come easier into orbit than before :)

The BoG-C for cargo missions. It can lift a full big-red into a 150km+ orbit.

PGp50hA.png

MffNyUk.png

There are also two other models in the Bird of Goo line:

Left: The BoG-P that is used for Crew transfers

Middle: The BoG-S for a mixture of Cargo an Crew

Right: The BoG-C for Cargo missions

uYZJVbM.png

Edited by Nils277

I just had time to test my Bird of Goo series in KSP 1.0+

They seem to come easier into orbit than before :)

Smooth :) With sleek lines like that, I'm relatively convinced that you could dump at least one pair of turbojets, if not all of them. 1.0.4 has been more about drag than thrust. If you can get something with rapiers to 400m/s, then it's usually got the power (not always the fuel) to reach orbit - generally you just need the bottle to stay low enough in the atmosphere to gain speed without blowing up due to heating ^^

Smooth :) With sleek lines like that, I'm relatively convinced that you could dump at least one pair of turbojets, if not all of them. 1.0.4 has been more about drag than thrust. If you can get something with rapiers to 400m/s, then it's usually got the power (not always the fuel) to reach orbit - generally you just need the bottle to stay low enough in the atmosphere to gain speed without blowing up due to heating ^^

Jep you are right, it is also possible to reach a stable orbit with one pair of turbojets less. But i discovered that the craft has way more dV left when the second pair of turbojets is installed :)

In fact he could dump 4 rapiers and at least 3 turbojets see my similar OrbitMaster

Jep you are right, it is also possible to reach a stable orbit with one pair of turbojets less. But i discovered that the craft has way more dV left when the second pair of turbojets is installed :)

That sounds like you're taking an ascent trajectory that's too steep for 1.0.4... Turbojets have a lot more grunt at the low end (basically they're diesel engines), so they can get you up to mach 3 in less time than rapiers - but if you're too steep, you don't have time to really get the best speed possible on-air when the rapiers are in their power band (16-18km @ mach 2+). What sort of speeds are you getting to before changing to LFO mode? :)

ErIRAe5.png

aWmkvby.png

1XzmjVV.png

0QH2hm2.png

GClIDWJ.png

Easy to fly SSTO. Everytime I design one of these I realize how much easier rockets are at getting things up into orbit..

Not that SSTO's can't be easy to take into orbit, but getting them BACK DOWN is a pain in the butt...

Edited by TeeGee

Here's my Manta Ray SSTO making its fiery way into orbit.

gCH7hKe.png

In its current incarnation, the Manta Ray carries a crew of two, and can deliver small satellites and other parts into LKO. On this test flight, it just brought a basic docking adapter for the space station I'm constructing.

B9dGwYX.png

The spaceplane docks its upper docking port to the extension module, then brings it over to one of the station's docking ports. It gives improved clearance for docking spaceplanes, and will be left behind for future use.

DmUhY4Y.png

On the way back. Jeb seems to be enjoying the fireworks outside.

eB3K42u.png

2Horfxe.png

Back at KSC safely. There's usually some liquid fuel remaining, so that (as in this case) a powered descent can be made to compensate for piloting errors- an overshoot led to a westward landing on runway 27.

JBj4l8Q.png

The plan now is to rebuild a passenger-carrying version to ferry crews to and from LKO. The cargo bay will be replaced by two Mk2 passenger cabins.

Edited by FlyingPete

It's now functional enough to share outside the WIP thread. Gets to LKO with 2 orange jumbo-64 tanks and an ISRU setup. Hopefully it can land somewhere without a refuel in LKO. I'm going to try and add an under-wing RCS powered tug/grabber adapter so I can mine asteroids. Pardon the bad graphics, btw; my computer is not the greatest.

EJOYoei.png

I keep her about 30 degrees til I get to 14km and level out to get speed. At 12kms, I angle back up to 35 degrees.

Z92vqPe.png

22km kick in the mammoth engine and shortly thereafter the jets cut out.

XJdAm4x.png

LKO achieved. The 2x orange tanks can be detached via the big docking ports in the back, but I want to try and land this somewhere and refuel later (hopefully).

2ns6C7J.png

On EVA, I noticed it wobbles without input... oh well, at least it's not too bad... just a little I guess.

53Pqrz4.png

Here you can see the drills. A keen observer might notice this one doesn't have the solar panels on it. This pick is from my first LKO mission.

m7M8ljc.png

Panels deployed and awaiting future mission destination.

MVrZJzl.png