Laythe = Early Earth????

Dockillar

I've recently sent a rover and orbiter to Laythe and after looking at the moon for a bit, it looks alot like Earth during the Cambrain Era on Earth....

I don't know if there is a direct connection, but it would explain alot of questions about the moon; such as its oxygen atmosphere, and liquid oceans. What do you guys think?

I've recently sent a rover and orbiter to Laythe and after looking at the moon for a bit, it looks alot like Earth during the Cambrain Era on Earth....

I don't know if there is a direct connection, but it would explain alot of questions about the moon; such as its oxygen atmosphere, and liquid oceans. What do you guys think?

That could be an interesting possibility, but Nova said it was a mix of Europa/Io. Basically Europa is covered in ice and probably has huge oceans under it, and if it was a bit loser, the tidal effects from Jupiter would probably melt everything and create a somewhat atmosphere around.

But I get where you com from, your hypothesis is in interesting theory. I wonder if someone who'S better informed on the subject could come add some more information.

This reminds me of that book "A World Out of Time".

Basically millions of years from now Earth gets moved to Jupiter after the Sun turns into a red giant so it will survive longer.

More about Earth's end than beginning though.

Hmm. It's possible Laythe is similiar to Earth in the middle of Oxygen revolution - with biosphere switching from anaerobic microorganisms to "modern" photosynthetising ones. Also, it's possible that Laythan oceans have much higher salinity (which would explain why they don't freeze). All land masses on the moon appear to be severely weathered, which would mean minerals were flushed from the rocks, and concentrated in sea water. If in the future Laythe will become highly volcanic world, it should increase salinity even more due to volcanoes providing huge amounts of chloride and sodium.

That could be an interesting possibility, but Nova said it was a mix of Europa/Io. Basically Europa is covered in ice and probably has huge oceans under it, and if it was a bit loser, the tidal effects from Jupiter would probably melt everything and create a somewhat atmosphere around.

But I get where you com from, your hypothesis is in interesting theory. I wonder if someone who'S better informed on the subject could come add some more information.

But it also has a lot more gravity, like Earth, hence the thick atmosphere.

Hmm. It's possible Laythe is similiar to Earth in the middle of Oxygen revolution - with biosphere switching from anaerobic microorganisms to "modern" photosynthetising ones. Also, it's possible that Laythan oceans have much higher salinity (which would explain why they don't freeze). All land masses on the moon appear to be severely weathered, which would mean minerals were flushed from the rocks, and concentrated in sea water. If in the future Laythe will become highly volcanic world, it should increase salinity even more due to volcanoes providing huge amounts of chloride and sodium.

The oceans don't freeze because it's 6 C on the surface.

Laythe's gravity at sea level is 0.8g and the atmospheric pressure is about 0.8atm, both are less than Earth and Kerbin :P

But also a lot more than the Galilean moons. It really is a lot closer in gravity and atmosphere to Earth.

At night too? Doubtful. Laythe's atmo would have to be thick with carbon dioxide and methane, which would mean higher pressure near surface.

It's heated from inside due to tidal stresses from Jool, so yes, at night too.

Sorry for interrupting, but do you think a kerbal could stand breathing and performing basic tasks in Laythe's atmosphere WITHOUT a helmet or mask?

There's certainly oxygen in the atmosphere, though we don't really know what the other gases are unless I'm mistaken. But the big thing is probably the radiation. Even with the thick atmosphere, you're going to get significantly more than on Earth due to the proximity to a gas giant. I'm not so sure whether Jool or the other moons would help get the liquid mantle moving (it doesn't get much energy from rotation because it's tidally locked) but if so that could help generate a magnetic field to make it a little safer. Still unlikely you'd want to stay out there for long though.

There's certainly oxygen in the atmosphere, though we don't really know what the other gases are unless I'm mistaken. But the big thing is probably the radiation. Even with the thick atmosphere, you're going to get significantly more than on Earth due to the proximity to a gas giant. I'm not so sure whether Jool or the other moons would help get the liquid mantle moving (it doesn't get much energy from rotation because it's tidally locked) but if so that could help generate a magnetic field to make it a little safer. Still unlikely you'd want to stay out there for long though.
Allright, won't be going there for Christmas holidays ! :D

Sorry for interrupting, but do you think a kerbal could stand breathing and performing basic tasks in Laythe's atmosphere WITHOUT a helmet or mask?

Depends. What is the mix of gasses in Kerbin's atmosphere (that kerbals are used to), and what is the mix of gasses in Laythe's atmosphere? A high enough percentage of Carbon Dioxide will cause intoxication and death for humans (something over 10%, even if you have enough oxygen). But we don't know what levels of carbon dioxide kerbels are used to. However, since Kerbin has oceans and plant life, I would expect it to have low CO2 levels like Earth. But Laythe also has oceans and quite possibly life (since I wouldn't expect a lot of oxygen in the atmosphere without life), so its CO2 levels may be similarly low.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.