What do you do during long burns?

Pinduli

I really wanted to put an immature response, but I wont bring the forums qualities so low

Usually stuff on phone (like now as I'm at work tho, not doing a burn) or on my tablet, or Xbox, tv... Or read

Also considering new ship designs that will never be built or missions which will never be flown

My longest burns, several minutes, were to launch probes on a Voyager mission. Interestingly, the longest one was to send a probe into the sun. Due to spin issues on the rocket used for such missions, I used Kerbal's orientation to determine when to launch straight up to escape velocity, dawn launch for the Voyager mission, evening launch for the solar mission, then planned the final burn to achieve those objectives. Four stage launcher using onion asparagus setup to fuel second stage just reaches escape velocity at second stage burnout. Third stage achieved Voyager objective with 1/3 fuel expended and nearly all fuel for solar encounter.

A heavy nuclear engine is not required for either mission. One should consider it's weight when launching one to escape velocity compared to the lower efficiency of a much lighter engine of comparable power. That heavy engine does have a major effect on overall mass of probe ships and their performance.

Sounds like KSP will be the game that gives us back time for our RL while playing? :D

I did not leave Kerbins/Muns orbit yet, so mostly I am anxious if my fuel reserves are sufficient, my ship stays on course ...

I usually take to the internet and do miscellaneous things, and occasionally check back to see how far I am. What about you?

Step out and have a smoke. Mess around on the forums, Facebook, and Slashdot. Read my email. Etc...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.