What's your favourite "old" game?

joppiesaus

Mine would have to be this semi-rare PS2 game called Steambot Chronicles:

Steambot_Chronicles_Coverart.png

This game has so much replay-ability it's nuts! I beat the game a good 3 times or more, I still have the original disc of the game when I got it in 2008 and I played it until around 2012, but since it's so bady scratched on the back of it now, the game doesn't work anymore. :P

Don't know for the first. The only LucasArts game with a Wild West setting I (very vaguely) know of is Outlaws, but it's a first person shooter from the 90s.

Could the second one be Amaurote ? I played the isometric version but it was top-down on

I had to go looking on the wiki. It was like walking into a vintage comic book store and I was all ,played it, played it, overplayed that.

Found the Western title.

Law of the West

And a couple more:

Paradroid

Neuromancer

It was like walking into a vintage comic book store and I was all ,played it, played it, overplayed that.

Huhu ; ) it happen all the time ; ) main difference it at this time no e-sport no media support ; ) being a hardcoregamer was more like being an alien than anithing else hehe but never tell Luke it may be lost around the battlefield call of duty ; )

collector sentence of thoose ages: "nah! it will never happen" this one especially made me laugh a lot ; )

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

Okay.

So number one is this.

Rollercoaster-tycoon-2-screenshot-1.png

I played this game from age 6 to 12-13. I absolutely love RCT2. This is the game I would sneak downstairs at night and play until sunrise. RCT3 is up there, but it only gets an honorable mention on this list.

Next is this:

Legostarwars2.jpg

This was a great game. It's not as old, but man, it was great. Playing two player was pretty funny as this was before the "dynamic screen split" was implemented, so you would just drag around the other player when they were at the edge of the screen.

Lots of fun. Lots of bugs.

Zoo_tycoon_screen_shot.PNG

And finally, The original Zoo Tycoon. A classic, although a little before my time. My older sister was a master at this game.

Downloaded Caesar III last weekend. So much nostalgia.

Unfortunately the version I was playing had a number of bugs, one being that houses couldn't upgrade past a certain level because the schools didn't work, but otherwise a surprisingly fun game.

As a kid I never got that far, because I had no idea how to make money. Now I get that you just build some buildings that produce goods (furniture, pottery, weapons, etc) and sell those using the trade routes. It's a lot easier when you're not constantly running out of money.

813638-caesar_3.jpg

(Not my pic)

Space Rangers 2: Dominators.

Because come on, it's a game combining an RTS, a turn based space sandbox with simultaneous turns, a text quest and an arcade space shooter, which has a world that basically lives on it's own and, as I like to say, can help itself without you, but would really like your help, which somehow WORKS in all ways, and then makes it even better with the great humour. And the most interesting thing - it still holds up today. In fact, I started to love it even more after recently trying it again.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the original Populous mentioned pretty early on in the thread (just looked through the whole thing)...

But that is not even the best one of the three.

Populous-the-beginning.png

THIS is.

Okay, it's much closer to an RTS than the first two, but that just makes it more enjoyable for me.

And the best part?

It still has a surprisingly active community over 15 years after release. (Well, a community of a few hundred. Which I THINK is the size of it since release. It's an underrated game.)

I saw the original Populous mentioned pretty early on in the thread [...]

Every 4 years or so, I put on a Ancient Greek drama mask (or anything close that comes into my hands, like a Goofy cap), climb to the attic, find my Atari ST, dust it, and then play Populous II for a few hours.

• 3 months later...

I was going to mention Total Annihilation, but I did a search of the thread and saw that it was already--errrrr, actually I just mentioned it again, so whatever. Awesome RTS. More fun than anything Blizzard ever came up with, in fact. (did anybody here play the mod that added the Karganeth? that was just ridiculous!)

Favorite FPS: Doom. The first one. And the first eight levels at that. The two Demon Bosses you face at the end of the first set of eight levels? When I first saw them they stared at me and gave this unholy discordant howl that scared the living hell outta me. In fact, I think I blew a fuse at that moment, because nothing ever scared me much at all after that.

Honorable mention: Portal 1. Not exactly a SHOOTER, but same general style, and this was so original I just fell in love.

Favorite old school: Jr. Pac Man. Not sure why, but I like this version better than original Pac Man. Super Mario World on the SNES comes in a close second. Honorable mention--anyone here remember M.U.L.E.?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.