What's your favourite "old" game?

joppiesaus

Starlancer. I have played this game a lot when I was a kid. Although never played the Wing Commander games as a kid, this game reflects Chris Roberts' level of quality when it comes to space shooters. From the rock solid combat in this game, to the immersion of being an Ace Starfighter Pilot in what appears to be the Cold War in Space between the Alliance (NATO) and the Coalition (USSR), This game is an underrated gem of my childhood.

61GYPYKQ2FL.jpg

Downloaded Caesar III last weekend. So much nostalgia.

Unfortunately the version I was playing had a number of bugs, one being that houses couldn't upgrade past a certain level because the schools didn't work, but otherwise a surprisingly fun game.

As a kid I never got that far, because I had no idea how to make money. Now I get that you just build some buildings that produce goods (furniture, pottery, weapons, etc) and sell those using the trade routes. It's a lot easier when you're not constantly running out of money.

(Not my pic)

When I played Rollercoaster Tycoon 2, I had the exact same problem. Every ride would have a price of 50 cents to 2 bucks, I would spend like the sun was imploding, and then I wondered why I ran out of money in 10 minutes. Now, luckily, I know how to actually manage a budget and I no longer run out of Genuine American Pesos.

Try redownloading it at good old games if that's where you picked it up for $6,

they update and fix bugs all the time.. my version from their does not have this issue

http://www.gog.com/game/caesar_3

Downloaded Caesar III last weekend. So much nostalgia.

Unfortunately the version I was playing had a number of bugs, one being that houses couldn't upgrade past a certain level because the schools didn't work, but otherwise a surprisingly fun game.

As a kid I never got that far, because I had no idea how to make money. Now I get that you just build some buildings that produce goods (furniture, pottery, weapons, etc) and sell those using the trade routes. It's a lot easier when you're not constantly running out of money.

(Not my pic)

"Old" truly is relative... For me, the games that fall into that category are all on the NES (and a handful on the 2600, even though that was technically before my time). My favorite of the NES era was actually not one you'd expect:

Legend_of_Zelda_2_-_NES_-_Battle.png

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link often gets a bad rap for how hard and occasionally obtuse it can be, but it's a fun game. It left a lasting impression on me, and was the impetus for me to explore the RPG genre.

All time favourite was and still is Ultima Underworld. Everything in that game is done right, IMHO. Does it have a replay value? Well, give me a few years between each game then yes but it's very linear with very little you can vary between games. Still, overall it's up there as my number 1 favourite.

Other games are close:
Panzer General II (if only it would run on a Win 8.1 laptop), by far the most entertaining TBS games I ever played with a good balance between light fun gameplay and decision making. With all the different roads to victory (or defeat) it also has a decent replay value.

Monkey Island 1-3 (never played 4 much). The MI games are hands down the aces of the classic point & click adventure era. Strictly linear games but the goofy fun of leading Guybrush into trouble and out again gives these games a good replay value (as long as I give them a good break between games).

TIE Fighter: IMHO, the best space fighter sim I ever played. It really is that simple. The combination of the SW universe, being a baddie (or as my commanding officer would call it, the good guy), great action and a story line that unfolds with each mission makes for a rock solid game in my book.

Search & Rescue 4 Coastal Heros: How many games are there where you pilot a helicopter not for blowing things up but to search for and rescue people and get them to hospital? Combined with a pretty good game engine that really let you feel the difference between a sluggish Sea King and a nimble Dauphin (as far as a game this old will allow anyway), and it's definitely the most interesting heli sim I played. Again, damn you, Win 8.1 and this laptop for blocking my opportunity to play it again.

Someone mentioned Caesar III. This is a game I still play from time to time, partly because I'm pretty bad at it, figuring out how to build a large city that doesn't collapse due to lunatic AI pathfinding, so I never beat this game. I wouldn't call it a favourite as such, but rather a favourite source of frustrations.

X:Tension: Another space sim that took Braben's Elite/Frontier into the strategic production genre. I always found myself puzzled (really, I did), that doing nothing for 10 minutes while the ship traveled through a sector towards a factory would be this interesting. It still baffles me. There is just something incredibly soothing about this game I can't put my finger on. Perhaps it's the music and the view from the cockpit (amazing graphics for a game this old), perhaps it's something else entirely, I don't know. The variety of ships and the difference between them (unlike Frontier where every ship basically had the same characteristics), adding the factory/production/trade bits makes this one game I would really like to have more time for.

My nomination: Archimedian Dynasty, circa 1997.

A multi-hub, mission-based story, 6 DoF shooter, set underwater, post-apocalypse.

Just a good game, well executed, good story well written and voice-acted. Some cool game mechanics, like turrets w/upgradable software. Excellent graphics for the time. Soundbites still pop into my head at random times. "El Topo's Asylum!".

Possibly available for free now as abandonware!

[IMG]http://spacesimcentral.com/ssc/index.php?app=downloads&module=display§ion=screenshot&record=1404&id=58&full=1[/IMG]

Oh so many!

Anyone remember a flight sim called "Fighters Anthology"? Much love for that sim. 100+ planes from past "present" and "future", all flyable & fightable in. Got it working on Win 10 (you need to patch it, but fine after that), and I'm looking forward to actually finishing the missions on it for once.
Railroad Tycoon
Civilisation II
Operation Flashpoint (or Arma Cold War Assault nowadays)
The list goes on...

[quote name='Red Iron Crown']Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. No other 4x game has matched it yet, IMO.[/QUOTE]

I bought the new one, Sid Meier's Beyond Earth and although it does have OK graphics, it does not compare to Alpha Centauri. Was even more disappointed in Sid Meier's Starships...

I will admit I enjoyed [I]Starfleet Academy[/I], [I]Homeworld[/I], [I]The Dig[/I], and [I]Civilization I through III[/I]... (among others) Edited by adsii1970

[quote name='Just Jim']"Old" game?
Simple: Dungeons and Dragons.... with dice, calculators and lots of paper and pencils!

I learned to play in the early 80' when I was stationed in Germany.... and it definitely is the cause of my gaming addiction... lol..[/QUOTE]

Same here, but in the early '80s I was a dependent (my father was stationed in Fulda, Frankfurt, and later Hanau)... we'd play D & D almost every weekend...

[quote name='adsii1970']Same here, but in the early '80s I was a dependent (my father was stationed in Fulda, Frankfurt, and later Hanau)... we'd play D & D almost every weekend...[/QUOTE]

Ahhhh man, Frankfurt, really??? I was in McKee Barracks in Crailsheim, less than an hour from you by train!!!
And we played pretty much every weekend and some week nights at our rec center. When we were all off duty. I wish I had known there was another player so close, we could have gotten together one weekend.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time <-- best game of all times

The whole Final Fantasy series <-- A few of them weren't as good, but most of them are absolutely awesome! FFX is king, followed by VI and VII (pretty much a tie if you ask me)

close third: Gran Turismo 2 on PSX. I got big into cars because of that game. It gave me one of my biggest passions so yeah of course its one of my favourite!

One old game I really love is Jagged Alliance 2. [url]http://www.gog.com/game/jagged_alliance_2[/url]

It is very open world, has a lot of fun side quests and loads of memorable characters. Still play it from time to time.

TIE Fighter is one of the best, but Freespace just might be better. Many different kinds of ships to fly, usually you can choose your loadout, customizable HUD. In many battles, you were flying between huge capital ships while they fired at each other, and a near miss from their weapons would send you spinning. Really made you feel like a fighter amongst battleships.

It is difficult to pick THE favourite old game - something else always pops up from a different "era" or genre ...

[URL="http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http://www.old-games.com/screenshot/981-7-tornado.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.old-games.com/download/981/tornado&h=256&w=320&tbnid=giMfhMe5tSnuNM:&tbnh=98&tbnw=123&usg=__Wj7azLdJuI16Gs4c18GQdynUqcs=&docid=AFFm3QcMDKtsKM&sa=X&ved=0CCsQ9QEwAWoVChMIoeCIk-OXyQIVBNgsCh27pwaF"]Tornado[/URL] was cool, covering the whole keyboard with different funktions, using keys double and triple times just like Shuttle. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.