[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

Mine don't seem to be working with beta 0.9. I have never used these before, so that might have something to do with it. When I try to attach either type of fairing to the ring, they appear as radial "spokes" from the center of the ring and will not attach. This is if the ring is by itself or under something. I've watched video and read instructions. Seems pretty simple. Can anyone confirm these working with vanilla KSP 0.9? (Or is this a known user input problem?)

EDIT:

Version I downloaded last night was 3.10 (how'd that happen?) 3.11 works fine.

Edited by mjl1966

I am having trouble with the PF mod. I am currently using RSS + RO, as well as FAR, TAC Life Support and a few other minor mods, but I have the same problem when using vanilla KSP and just PF.

I am using KSP .25.

Use PF 3.10 or update KSP to 0.90. PF 3.11 won't work with KSP 0.25.

Hi, love the mod.. at least what I've seen from videos and pictures. - that brings me to my problem: I can't use anything except the Conic fuselage Faring, Egg-shaped fuselage Faring, Conic faring, Egg-shaped faring, Interstage faring adapter, fairing base, faring base ring. Where are all the rest 2 meter long faring, 6 meter long fairing etc? Or do you make them? And if so how? the 'How to use' doesn't show that.. unless this is a bug then it might show how to use them.

How do I install this (just to be certain I did it correct):

ProcFarings > Gamedata > Procedural Farings

KSP > Gamedata > Procedural farings.

This is how the mod and the KSP folder looks like. The latter part is how I have the mod installed like. Or are perhaps all the KSP mod folders '....edup' so I need to screw matching the mod sub-folders to ksp sub-folders and take the: ProcFarings > Gamedata > Procedural Farings <--- directly and open it and put all the named sub-folder inside of that one and put them in their corresponding KSP folders?

You installed this correctly. Did you try attaching some parts to the top of the fairing base? It should reshape automatically. Now if you want a wider base you can right click on it and reshape it using the [<] [<<] [>>] [>] buttons.

What if I don't get the fairings as a stage element? I tried ignoring this and right clicking the fairings in flight to "decouple", but there was no such option. Everything else seems to work as intended, shaping and such. Running KSP 0.90 with PF 3.11.

What's the "decoupler" built into the PF Interstage for? I nearly lost a rocket because I assumed it worked the same as a normal decoupler, but no -- it doesn't decouple the fairings themselves (those decouplers are built into the fairings) and it doesn't decouple the stuff above or below it (you need a separate decoupler for that), so what's it there for?

See the floating node above the interstage? That's the one you attach to the bottom of the stage above it, and it's the one that decouples.

That's what I thought at first, but detaching all of the side fairings also detaches the stage above, as far as I can tell.

The fairings hold the payload in place. That's how the payload gets to float. If the fairings are still attached, they're still holding the payload, and it won't detach. Decouple the fairings if you want to decouple the payload. The decoupler in the interstage is fake, and only there so KER/MJ understand how it works.

Exception: if you have KJR installed, it makes the fake decoupler a real decoupler.

The fairings hold the payload in place. That's how the payload gets to float. If the fairings are still attached, they're still holding the payload, and it won't detach. Decouple the fairings if you want to decouple the payload. The decoupler in the interstage is fake, and only there so KER/MJ understand how it works.

Exception: if you have KJR installed, it makes the fake decoupler a real decoupler.

I do actually have KJR installed.

What I'm getting from this is that firing the interstage decoupler or all of the surrounding fairings will detach the payload above the fairings; neither will detach things connected directly to either side of the interstage ring itself, you need a separate decoupler for that. Is that correct?

Actually having the decoupler on top work without triggering the fairings or even while using the structural shrouds can be very useful.

I have bright red and blue stripes on the insides of some of the fairings. Is there a way to fix that?

I need to change max fairing height. Right now, it is impossible in RSS to fit my 2nd stage into a fairing. I have FAR. 50 meters is too low. I looked in the .cfg file, all I could change was max diameter. I want a max height over 50 meters.

Can someone please explain the newly added "optional manual fairing shape controls"? There hasn't been any discussions in this thread regarding the new feature and the limited documentation for ProcFairings is extremely outdated. I tried right clicking the fairings bases and the fairings themselves but found no option to manually adjust the fairing shape (excluding the interstage adjustment controls that have been a part of ProcFairings for a while now). I have manually installed Realism Overhaul with all dependencies and supported mods multiple times, so I don't doubt my installation ability. But I installed ProcFairings with a clean KSP install after trying everything else I could think of, but still, with no success. I feel like I'm either missing something extremely obvious or I'm completely misunderstanding what the new feature is supposed to enable us to do. Anyway, I would really appreciate someone clarifying things for me.

Can someone please explain the newly added "optional manual fairing shape controls"? There hasn't been any discussions in this thread regarding the new feature and the limited documentation for ProcFairings is extremely outdated. I tried right clicking the fairings bases and the fairings themselves but found no option to manually adjust the fairing shape (excluding the interstage adjustment controls that have been a part of ProcFairings for a while now). I have manually installed Realism Overhaul with all dependencies and supported mods multiple times, so I don't doubt my installation ability. But I installed ProcFairings with a clean KSP install after trying everything else I could think of, but still, with no success. I feel like I'm either missing something extremely obvious or I'm completely misunderstanding what the new feature is supposed to enable us to do. Anyway, I would really appreciate someone clarifying things for me.

If you don't see some extra controls when you right click then it sounds like you don't have the latest version installed. In addition to a button for disabling automatic fairing sizing, there's controls for modifying the fairing after you've disabled the automatic setting.

Edit: The video above your post shows the new controls.

Edited by Starwaster

i unzipped into my main ksp gamedata folder

Then you did it wrong. The contents of that zip file start with a GameData folder, so if you really did what you say you did then you have a GameData folder sitting inside your GameData folder.

What you were meant to do was to unzip into your KSP folder (KSP_Win if on Windows).

So find that rogue GameData folder and move the ProceduralFairings folder out of it and into your real GameData folder. Then delete the GameData folder that is inside your GameData folder.

Do you understand?