[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

I figured out my issue. I simply had to setup the stages and I got the dV data.

However for the life of me I cannot figure out why I cannot launch a Stayputnik. I've read the tutorials and it seems really straight forward. Attach the unmanned command pod, add a battery and some antennas, fuel, rocket, and go. Not working. Engines will not fire. They fire fine with a manned command pod.

However for the life of me I cannot figure out why I cannot launch a Stayputnik. I've read the tutorials and it seems really straight forward. Attach the unmanned command pod, add a battery and some antennas, fuel, rocket, and go. Not working. Engines will not fire. They fire fine with a manned command pod.

I am not a modder, just another player who appreciates the modders, but I would be happy to try to help. Since this probably isn't a Procedural Fairings issue (and you solved the issue you had), if you'd like to PM me and send me a list of the mods you are running, and screenshots of your Launchpad, and a craft file, I'll take a stab at it.

Do you have RemoteTech installed?

Can you sort of use them as fairings for engines and engine clusters that don't have fairings?

And um, I'm having a bit of trouble getting the fairing for the top payload to close up at the top, trying to figure that out.

Edit: Well, the conic one isn't giving me a closed top, the egg shaped one is.

Edited by smjjames

Can you sort of use them as fairings for engines and engine clusters that don't have fairings?

And um, I'm having a bit of trouble getting the fairing for the top payload to close up at the top, trying to figure that out.

Edit: Well, the conic one isn't giving me a closed top, the egg shaped one is.

Yes, you can use Procedural Fairings to fair engines that don't have their own - or that you just don't like the built-in ones. I have used the inline fairing base when I want the lower stage to have its own probe core and science gear, all hidden in the fairing until separation. I've never used it to create an upper stage with, for instance, an aerospike. Hmm, I will have to try that. It should work fine, though it will require a little funky placement.

Regarding your problem with open tops - What fairing base are you using? Also, a VAB screenshot might be helpful...

Yes, you can use Procedural Fairings to fair engines that don't have their own - or that you just don't like the built-in ones. I have used the inline fairing base when I want the lower stage to have its own probe core and science gear, all hidden in the fairing until separation. I've never used it to create an upper stage with, for instance, an aerospike. Hmm, I will have to try that. It should work fine, though it will require a little funky placement.

Regarding your problem with open tops - What fairing base are you using? Also, a VAB screenshot might be helpful...

I was trying to use the interstage fairing adapter (the egg shaped fairing actually had a closed top with that part), but I got the conical one to have a closed top with the fairing base part. It was just me trying to figure out the fairing bases.

I was trying to use the interstage fairing adapter (the egg shaped fairing actually had a closed top with that part), but I got the conical one to have a closed top with the fairing base part. It was just me trying to figure out the fairing bases.

Yes, the Interstage Fairing Adapter is designed to have something on top of the fairings.

I did successfully fly a ship with an upper stager powered by a single aerospike. I put the Interstage Fairing Adapter upside down, above a little tank and the aerospike.

(It's worth noting that without something like a stack separator between the stages, all the fuel below the adapter and above the fairings will be pulled down to the lower stage, as it should.)

Everytime I launch I get the message "The following mods are outdated - KSPAPIExtensions". What gives?

I don't know. But my guess is that your KSPAPIExtensions mod is outdated. :) What's your Procedural Fairings version?

I have the very latest Procedural Fairings mod.... downloaded it yesterday off this page =/

Are there mods which conflict?

- - - Updated - - -

I FOUND IT!

There were 2 KSPAPIExtensions.dll in my game; one in Procedural Fairings, the other in my Gamedata/Near Future Propulsion folder.

Derp - thanks anyways lads!

Glad to know your issue is fixed. In the mean time, I still don't know which magic button makes the "- - - Updated - - -" term appear on those edited posts. You don't write it all manually, right? ... Right? :)

Glad to know your issue is fixed. In the mean time, I still don't know which magic button makes the "- - - Updated - - -" term appear on those edited posts. You don't write it all manually, right? ... Right? :)

I just tried to make a second post within a minute of the first one as far as I know.....

Must automerge the posts and highlight it as "updated" ;)

I just tried to make a second post within a minute of the first one as far as I know.....

Must automerge the posts and highlight it as "updated" ;)

I've even seen it do it later than a minute. I'm not sure but I think it depends on how active you've been. I've had it happen to me even after an hour when I really REALLY wanted the post to stand alone. (it was an important update status for one of my mods)

Tried using this for the first time, took me about 1/2 hour to figure it out.

What are the fairings which do NOT have couplers used for? They were very confusing, i couldn't figure out how to make the fairings detach.

Don't get me wrong, I love them, now that I have them working. It just took longer than I expected to figure it out.

I also noticed that solar panels inside the fairing still receive sunlight. I guess the fairing is transparent :-)

Edited by linuxgurugamer

@linuxgurugamer: The Fuselage Fairings (the ones under the "Structural" tab, who can't be jettisoned) are, like all the rest of the Procedural Fairings mod, just for cosmetics. :) Though the difference is, because they can't be detached, the most common use for them is to protect permanent parts of your ship which aren't intended to be exposed to the dangers of nothing vacuum.

Regarding the solar panel still getting sunlight... Yes, that happens. :P I -think- this is a problem that goes beyond E-dog's power to fix.

Tried using this for the first time, took me about 1/2 hour to figure it out.

What are the fairings which do NOT have couplers used for? They were very confusing, i couldn't figure out how to make the fairings detach.

Don't get me wrong, I love them, now that I have them working. It just took longer than I expected to figure it out.

I also noticed that solar panels inside the fairing still receive sunlight. I guess the fairing is transparent :-)

They're procedural fuselage parts. Even if it says fairing in it, it's still just fuselage. You use them if you want to create a plane fuselage that you can cram other parts inside of.

@linuxgurugamer: The Fuselage Fairings (the ones under the "Structural" tab, who can't be jettisoned) are, like all the rest of the Procedural Fairings mod, just for cosmetics. :) Though the difference is, because they can't be detached, the most common use for them is to protect permanent parts of your ship which aren't intended to be exposed to the dangers of nothing vacuum.

Regarding the solar panel still getting sunlight... Yes, that happens. :P I -think- this is a problem that goes beyond E-dog's power to fix.

Ah, I understand now. I actually was using a search in the VAB, so saw both types in the same window.

I understand about the solar panel. I didn't know where the issue was, so wanted to make e-dog aware of it

*snip*

like all the rest of the Procedural Fairings mod, just for cosmetics. :)

*snip*

For the record: no they aren't (at least the aerodynamic ones) if using FAR which everyone should do anyway. :wink:

For the record: no they aren't (at least the aerodynamic ones) if using FAR which everyone should do anyway. :wink:

I was afraid someone would point this out. :) You can also argue that they act as struts to hold the contents firmly inside.

I was afraid someone would point this out. :) You can also argue that they act as struts to hold the contents firmly inside.

How strong are the auto-struts? I was sending a veeery long payload and noticed that if I don't strut them all together and the top part to the fairing itself, it would start to wobble outside of the fairing and doing hell on things.