[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

Is it normal that when I build stage like [upper stage engine>interstage fairing adapter (holds engine with its "floating" node) + fuselage fairings] interstage's decoupler shows in staging sequence as usual, but when I press space it doesn't decouple (though other parts in same stage start ok)? If I right-click that interstage adapter and decouple it from menu, it decouples from upper engine just fine, so it's somehow related to staging option, not to inability to decouple.

That tends to happen when you have a bunch of nodes very close to one another. Have you tried resizing it before attaching?

yes. the other rings work fine, but just not the interstage. i'm trying to compensate for an issue with KWrocketry, but things don't seem to want to cooperate.

all in all, i've had alot of problems with mods since the .90 update.

begs the question as to why there's a node at the top of the outline in the first place?> i don't recall it being there in previous versions...

Hello all,

I'd hate to sidetrack everyone but I'm not able to get the fairings to work at all.

I'm still on .25 and don't have any intentions to go to .90, unless all my mods cease to work.

I first downloaded v3.10 and saw the fairings in aero tab (all of this is in sandbox too). I was gonna copy Manely by using the Z-map and try it out first, but it didn't work. The decoupler and the other two devices were there, and the conic and egg shape fairings were there. The blue lines were not showing up (if they are supposed to anyway..) and no other attachment points were there either.

So then I downloaded V3.11 and on startup the .dll file came up as incompatible with KSP, however, all the pars were still there, and repeated like above.

Not sure what else to do as the FAQ doesn't expand much further from that. I only have a few other mods, but none of them use the same .dll, so I'm not sure what next to do..

edit: originally download 3.10 then got 3.11

Edited by Swagger897

yes. the other rings work fine, but just not the interstage. i'm trying to compensate for an issue with KWrocketry, but things don't seem to want to cooperate.

all in all, i've had alot of problems with mods since the .90 update.

begs the question as to why there's a node at the top of the outline in the first place?> i don't recall it being there in previous versions...

it was there. It's been there ever since that part was introduced. It lets you create adapters in the style of the Saturn V 3rd stage which had a payload space for the lunar lander inside and the Apollo CM/SM on top. Or a docking adapter instead of the lander. For docking with soviet craft.

resize it like I said, if you're having trouble. Or move the top node up out of the way. Or just accept it being attached there. Depending on design that could be an option. That part is flexible.

Edited by Starwaster

Hi, I used to love this mod but now I've got a problem.

Usually after I place fairings they don't show up in stageing and when I try to assign to action group there's no option to jettison. This happened under 0.26 and still happens with 0.90 (I did update the mod.)

Any ideas why this would happen? It doesn't always happen but enough so that I no longer use mod.

Hi, I used to love this mod but now I've got a problem.

Usually after I place fairings they don't show up in stageing and when I try to assign to action group there's no option to jettison. This happened under 0.26 and still happens with 0.90 (I did update the mod.)

Any ideas why this would happen? It doesn't always happen but enough so that I no longer use mod.

There are two types of fairings. The actual fairings which are under the Aerodynamics tab and the Fuselage pieces which do the same thing but do not decouple. You used the fuselage parts.

it was there. It's been there ever since that part was introduced. It lets you create adapters in the style of the Saturn V 3rd stage which had a payload space for the lunar lander inside and the Apollo CM/SM on top. Or a docking adapter instead of the lander. For docking with soviet craft.

resize it like I said, if you're having trouble. Or move the top node up out of the way. Or just accept it being attached there. Depending on design that could be an option. That part is flexible.

not really an option when you're fairing over an engine

Hello all,

I'd hate to sidetrack everyone but I'm not able to get the fairings to work at all.

I'm still on .25 and don't have any intentions to go to .90, unless all my mods cease to work.

I first downloaded v3.10 and saw the fairings in aero tab (all of this is in sandbox too). I was gonna copy Manely by using the Z-map and try it out first, but it didn't work. The decoupler and the other two devices were there, and the conic and egg shape fairings were there. The blue lines were not showing up (if they are supposed to anyway..) and no other attachment points were there either.

So then I downloaded V3.11 and on startup the .dll file came up as incompatible with KSP, however, all the pars were still there, and repeated like above.

Not sure what else to do as the FAQ doesn't expand much further from that. I only have a few other mods, but none of them use the same .dll, so I'm not sure what next to do..

edit: originally download 3.10 then got 3.11

The version 3.11 was made for KSP 0.90, and won't work correctly on previous KPS versions. You gotta use Procedural Fairings 3.10.

What other attachment points are you looking for? Each fairing should have only one attachment point, and you're able to choose how many fairings per base you want, by right clicking the Fairing base.

The version 3.11 was made for KSP 0.90, and won't work correctly on previous KPS versions. You gotta use Procedural Fairings 3.10.

What other attachment points are you looking for? Each fairing should have only one attachment point, and you're able to choose how many fairings per base you want, by right clicking the Fairing base.

I originally downloaded 3.10 (sorry if you read before the edit, I misunderstood the version numbers) and read the FAQ as to why it was not working and it was the next step..

I do see the one attachment point pointed towards the outside of the VAB as default, and I can place the fairing on it but it won't surround the rest of the rocket...

I'll download 3.10 again and let you know if it happens again..

Edit:

Oddly enough, redownloading 3.1 fixed it, so I'm not sure where I messed up.

On another note though, I'm not sure what I do to stretch them out.

Edited by Swagger897

Oddly enough, redownloading 3.1 fixed it, so I'm not sure where I messed up.

On another note though, I'm not sure what I do to stretch them out.

Glad to know your issue is fixed. :)

The fairings should automatically adapt their sizes to whatever they are covering. But you can always manually tweak these values by right-clicking the fairing base (or the fairing itself, but I believe the base is the correct choice). I hope that helps.

There are two types of fairings. The actual fairings which are under the Aerodynamics tab and the Fuselage pieces which do the same thing but do not decouple. You used the fuselage parts.

Thanks, that was it. Seems obvious now but in all the time I've used this mod (like 2 months) I never noticed the difference between those parts.

Glad to know your issue is fixed. :)

The fairings should automatically adapt their sizes to whatever they are covering. But you can always manually tweak these values by right-clicking the fairing base (or the fairing itself, but I believe the base is the correct choice). I hope that helps.

It's the base. I guess the R for radius no longer works, as I figured out how to change the size. Now I need to know how to use the fuselage fairings. I'm having trouble connecting the two, but I'll figure it out..

@Swagger897: What exactly are you trying to connect? The fuselage fairings won't jettison; they'll stay fixed to your ship at all times.

I am not sure how to use the fuselage fairings. On Imgur, it shows I can connect two bases together, to cover some sort of payload. However, all I'm getting is the nose cone blue lines, and not lines from base to base...

I am not sure how to use the fuselage fairings. On Imgur, it shows I can connect two bases together, to cover some sort of payload. However, all I'm getting is the nose cone blue lines, and not lines from base to base...

Still not exactly sure what you have in mind. Some screenshots would help clarifying my dumbness. :)

But those blue lines represent the fairings shape once you place them (fuselage or normal jettison) at the side of the Base.

Maybe this video will help:

http://youtu.be/2TT0WmsJb-c?t=1m9s

Still not exactly sure what you have in mind. Some screenshots would help clarifying my dumbness. :)

But those blue lines represent the fairings shape once you place them (fuselage or normal jettison) at the side of the Base.

Maybe this video will help:

http://youtu.be/2TT0WmsJb-c?t=1m9s

Ahhh... yup, that did it. Stupid me was using the other top faring base, not the inline (per video) base. Thanks.

I don't know if this has been mentioned and I have no idea if a correction is possible.

I just launched a satellite with solar panels on, shrouded by the proc fairing. It was dark and as expected the power started to drop as the probe was drawing power, however once I got into the sunlight the battery recharged, despite the solar panels still being covered by the fairing!

I don't know if this has been mentioned and I have no idea if a correction is possible.

I just launched a satellite with solar panels on, shrouded by the proc fairing. It was dark and as expected the power started to drop as the probe was drawing power, however once I got into the sunlight the battery recharged, despite the solar panels still being covered by the fairing!

The panels rely on raycasting to see if they have a clear path to the sun or not. Historically, for reasons that are still not entirely clear to me, raycasting to detect the fairings frequently meets with failure. Deadly Reentry has this problem a lot. The frontal curved part of the fairing is least likely to be detected by a raycast. Probably an issue with the colliders, which AFAIK are what actually get detected. AFAIK.

Raycasting will also fail if the ray passes between the seam where two fairings meet. That's pretty much inevitable as the ray has no width.

I wonder if layers could be an issue too...

e-dog, if you see this, what layer are the fairings set to? Anything non-standard for a physicalized object?

Could someone give me a hand? Very new with this. Following Ferrams guide to build a basic rocket.

If I attach a Staysputnik to a fuel tank, then attach an engine, then fill the fuel tank with appropriate fuel, I will get dV from KER. But if I try to attach a fairing base as specified in the guide to the bottom of the Staysputnik then attach the stretchy tank to it, then engine, and fill, I do not get any dV. I have tried enable crossfeed but it makes no difference.

I installed all recommended mods using CKAN, and am on 32 bit V .90.