No one doing a 44th Anniv Re-enactment? Let's all land on the Mun this weekend!

rodion_herrera

Unfortunately, I use unable to get the big three as my crew, but I wasn't too concerned. Anyway, here we go...

On launch. I know, the lander wasn't like that on Apollo 11, blah blah blah.

DSi9Yv9.jpg

Several hours later, the lander undocks.

xDI14Ih.png

I got a very nice pic during the deorbit.

rotclHo.png

"KSC, the Beagle has landed."

pTAm3ji.png

Planting the flag.

ZIQW62l.png

The plaque. I've been throwing around this quote a lot, I think it is very appropriate.

eJ69kA0.png

Science!

w3Kxn1B.png

Time to go home.

rK9lm2u.png

Only I don't think they'll be going home, because I can't figure out the docking maneuver. Dang, this mission was supposed to TEACH me docking! :P

"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."--Neil Armstrong

My Apollo style attempts. Knocked this out pretty quickly, might try to do a more accurate mission tonight.

gA7aeKF.jpg

0csQTbL.jpg

6oq7lMA.jpg

WDbH4sp.jpg

mf6Tm2D.jpg

YwQ8gcr.jpg

od8dnKl.jpg

a180itx.jpg

Edited by Mode7
images didn't work, need to learn to embed albums

Boom - done.

I flew my Munshine V "Deluxe" because obviously, nothing else would suffice. All the nitty-gritty about mission details can be found in that thread.

9DJlqQ0.jpg

Arriving at the Mun. How come this never gets old?

zlFehap.png

Shortly after undocking the lander from the CSM, Jeb got a real nice look at a Kerbinrise from his window.

IuEm3Wl.png

Having landed within a few km of the memorial, Jeb and Bill head out to pay their respects.

PSzCmsI.png

Who needs precision landings when you have a buggy?

FTriwwH.png

fl4rLXi.png

Happy Apollo 11 Day everyone!

Excluding the few minor hiccups I had, as this was my first Apollo-style mission and had no testing whatsoever, I daresay that this was a very successful mission throughout. I warn you, there are A LOT OF PICTURES :confused:

(I don't know how to embed imgur albums)

dDqSdWWl.jpg

cP5dntrl.png

Liftoff of the almighty (albeit modified for this mission (it was too wobbly before :confused:)) MS Vulcan II heavy rocket, carrying a unique payload, the first of its kind; Apollo (well, my version anyway, but still)!

24Z37zVl.png

Qsh4MTCl.png

RNV316wl.png

iAVpEu5l.png

uVoPSiOl.jpg

The Transfer stage is set to crash into the Mun, while the CSM/LM are on course for a low flyby, no free return trajectory sadly :rolleyes:

scECRfzl.jpg

9qv7BILl.jpg

1V1tTGJl.png

1RKZ1mql.jpg

ecsxD2al.png

1xEOe5Dl.png

rRRRgwEl.png

a2wjRdil.jpg

QkZmb8ml.jpg

2EwWqEXl.jpg

The ascent stage ran out of liquid fuel. Fortunately, there was more than enough RCS to get into orbit and rendezvouz with the CSM.

fDp6mOel.png

xE6mRhal.png

2mC1qgFl.png

ytc7HGAl.png

The LM is de-orbited, and the CSM heads home.

egIRBHpl.png

DlSX3lcl.png

QNppuSEl.jpg

The main hiccup of the mission; during the decoupling, the decoupler came with us instead of sticking to the SM. That's down to me being clever and using part clipping :rolleyes:

STNkp57l.jpg

3xZ6jMDl.png

O15i6Azl.png

So, my first Apollo-style mission. This was a very satisfying mission, I must say. Sure, landers are glorious in general (I should know, I've landed everywhere bar Tylo), but there was something about this one that felt good. I may perfect the designs a bit and try another run, but for now, I leave you with this. Again, I'm sorry for the number of pictures, I've tried to cut them down, but I don't won't details to go unnoticed :P

I've done Mün flights before, but this was my first attempt to fly strictly based on the Apollo mission: three-stage rocket, command module, two-stage landing module, no radial boosters. Basically, this was my initial flight plan:

• Get into LKO
  • Transfer to Mün
  • Land on Mun
  • Return to command module
  • Ditch LEM and return home

What my flight plan ended up being was this:

• Run out of fuel on the way to orbit
  • Re-dock command module with LEM on suborbital trajectory
  • Run out of fuel again during transfer to Mün
  • "Borrow" some fuel from the LEM to complete Münar injection
  • Run out of fuel again during circularization
  • Get into an elliptical orbit with RCS
  • Fly LEM down to surface
  • Land badly, breaking off RCS tanks and docking port
  • EVA on Mün!
  • Take off from Mün.
  • Run out of fuel. Again.
  • EVA both Kerbals into orbit
  • Realize I forgot to plant a flag on the Mün
  • Realize the CM has no fuel or RCS left
  • Give up, and send giant asparagus-staged rescue ship to retrieve everyone.

Tranquility Base seems to be a bit of a hot tourist spot. I've landed seven different craft here since .20 was released (there's a flag hidden behind the monument from my first landing). I almost landed on one of the other flags this last time.... Oops.

20130720_ksp1922_apollo_tranquility_base.jpg

BTW - I've been posting a few animated gifs of my reenactment over on the Google+ KSP community. There'll be a couple more once I've finished building my webpage, but here are the two most recent (links only, because they're big. MBs big):

Eagle departing from Columbia: 20130720_ksp2354_eagle_in_flight.gif

Eagle landing from inside the can: 20130720_ksp2194_apollo_landing.gif

Edited by Cydonian Monk

Taking a break from mine. So far, so good. I was really happy to settle into a proper retrograde Munar orbit!

lsMvJyE.png

8rTaBS0.png

kKCCi0H.jpg

oXBmu3a.jpg

9C3qfWE.png

6GQnh67.jpg

lNko0nu.jpg

Between worlds...

k7gfZyN.jpg

Let me apologise for the picture spam. This is a hard day for me. My dad died ten years ago. He was a NASA engineer, and brought me up to love the space programme. I saw so many manned launches, and my dad had his hand in every single one of them through Apollo-Soyuz. Later on, he was key in making sure the Shuttle could grab the Hubble telescope, among other seemingly minor yet so important things. So what I'm posting in these pictures is a testament to my father. To what he taught me. To what he showed me. And how I wish he were here to point out every last little thing I've gotten wrong in my designs!

Edited by Jack Wolfe

My (somewhat) Apollo style tribute.

My issues with the lifter is that I tried to do a true 3-stage system, but it kept falling apart :( So I had to revert back to my old aspa design aided by SRBs...

Launch

xq1.png

Ascent

y1jk.png

Maneuver (figure of eight FRT)

9gzl.png

TMi

h4i7.png

More or less, okay

v8j4.png

I used remaining fuel of my 3rd stage for Munar Insertion burn

v882.png

Jeb EVAing to the one-man can.

itog.png

About to land...

mwwx.png

Precision landing, right next to the memorial.

pgvs.png

Jeb goes down the ladder

2dix.png

Still going down the ladder

3msw.png

Jeb reaches the foot of the ladder

c95.png

Jeb...magnificent desolation...

2cuj.png

Jeb in 1/6th G

bxqg.png

Jeb about to plant flag

ttl.png

txx7.png

I'll bring them home soon. Right now I need to sleep LOL

Well here is my ode to Apollo 11's Lunar landing which happened today 44 years ago. Kompletely in Kerbal Fashion to I might add.

DC375089D879925F756DF0CA3375980F412E8F8A

Needless to say. They had to leave behind the laning part in sooner then epected (ran out of fuel) and had to use the top to land. Sadly the snacks where on the lower half and Bill was impatient. Sadly not enough fuel to make orbit. Bob did try to abandonship. Sadly he was a bit to late as well.

I have tried a saturn style rocket so far (didn't look like it but the function was pretty accurate) but the TWR just didnt work for me so I will not be replicating that true to life. My lander/CM is pretty accurate. Will have pics soon as I actually get my launcher stages working ;P

Then I can show off my awesome tribute mission.

Continuing on...

See ya, third stage! You served us well.

iLeMmsq.png

Settled in to a nice retrograde orbit.

crFMyoM.png

Allons-y!

D9y6EaZ.jpg

9Scl7PP.jpg

Touchdown, 2.5km from the target. Not great, but not bad.

LLTGczz.jpg

2QUEmVO.jpg

Bill had the honour of landing the craft, so Bob gets to plant the first flag...

rfY7Yko.jpg

YI9gzxP.jpg

Bill gets his turn.

yUPWBBi.jpg

Rendezvous time.

X3tcJC5.jpg

Jeb has a steady hand on the stick.

uDOsp50.jpg

AsIa6Kr.jpg

Vaya con Dios, compadre...

IJeR73K.jpg

Edited by Jack Wolfe

Kudos to all those of you who landed at the Armstrong Memorial, especially those who did so in realistic Apollo-style craft!

I'm not that experienced yet, only been playing for a couple weeks - so I did the best I could, and freehanded a trip to Minmus and back. Safe landing, safe return home and safe splashdown.

screenshotD_zpsaa868ca8.jpg

screenshotE_zps29bfc6a8.jpg

screenshotF_zps4a541748.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.