Whatever happened to recources?

Procyon

Career mode and resources more or less go hand in hand. Career can only go so far with the game in it's current state. With resources, sample collection, and a whole mess of other stuff the game really needs, they could take career a lot farther than they can right now. I haven't been waiting for 3 updates (been here only since 20.1) but Kethane can only go so far resource wise. I think once they get the framework of career mode down, they will catch on to this and get working on the stuff we all seek.

Clicking on a part of your rocket and adjusting values for it. Say you wanted a more powerful engine-done, at the cost of weight, efficiency, and/or heat production. If you wanted to bring along an empty fuel tank, then you would be able to type in a number or slide a bar to set the amount of fuel in the tank.

Theoretically, you could do this by a config file edit. The downside is then people are dishonest and make uber powerful motors that consume virtually no fuel.

Sidenote: I'm literally staring at the fuel tank configs now creating my own empty tank mod (this includes parts in the mods I have, so KSPX, and some larger xenon tanks)

I'm honestly hoping career won't rely too heavily on resource mining on my opinion. Yes, it's useful and interesting, but really, the game should be more about exploration than setting up a resource mining empire.

I think that resources is a very important cog, and the most popular one, but I agree with you. Crew development and science advancement will be very exciting features to add (among other things).

Important yes, the most popular, eehhh, I doubt so, look at the recent thread on your most wanted feature, resource appears but is far from having the majority. I want them to be there too, I just don't want them to be extremely important. Important enough that you could set up a big mining empire if you really want to, but not important enough that you can't play without using them.

Important yes, the most popular, eehhh, I doubt so, look at the recent thread on your most wanted feature, resource appears but is far from having the majority. I want them to be there too, I just don't want them to be extremely important. Important enough that you could set up a big mining empire if you really want to, but not important enough that you can't play without using them.

I have faith in the devs, they are the masters of the game's destiny!

One or two mining-mandatory resources necessary for interstellar travel maybe?

FTL only outside the SOI of a star?

Im getting off topic here. :)

You can play without Mining-camps, but there's little to no purpose going of to other planets when all you can do is plant a flag and perform some very simple experiments...

Why do sent rovers to Mars? To collect ground-samples... not to drive around and enjoy the scenery, which is all you will be able to do when career-mode gets added...:blush:

Good grief, I hope resourses don't turn into "you found kerinium! Well done! You unlock the nuclear engine!"

I will honestly be dissapointed unless the system is something like collecting a resource with a drill/scoop, and processing/combining it into a usable resource/part with another set of parts entirely.

I'm genuinely scared, minecraft took the same course and ended up half-assed and bad. They focused on stupid RPG elements that didn't even fit into the game instead of engine and mechanics, and now the development is all about adding a block every month. I trust squad knows what their doing tho, they're hiring new devs all the time and actually use the money on the game and never failed to suprise me with creativeness and solid work with the updates. Just don't forget about improving the base game and expanding the sandbox features. Mining is a big thing that would open a whole new aspect of this game and would probably make most of us play 14 hours a day. Career sounds cool, but imho it'd be better to do it after most of core features are implemented.

If I remember correctly, one of the reasons to postpone resources for career mode, was that the career mode probably makes it more apparent how additional features should look like. In other words: if you would introduce resource handling now, you would probably overhaul it completely later in the game due to balancing issues. So, instead of just adding features and replacing them multiple times, they rather try to tailor the basic gameplay mechanics, i.e. the pacing, the learning curve etc. .

So, think of career mode as the central theme, not as a single feature. It's not so much about giving an alternative to sandbox mode, but rather to find a more efficient way to integrate new features into the existing gameplay - for both modes.

You can play without Mining-camps, but there's little to no purpose going of to other planets when all you can do is plant a flag and perform some very simple experiments...

Why do sent rovers to Mars? To collect ground-samples... not to drive around and enjoy the scenery, which is all you will be able to do when career-mode gets added...:blush:

Ressource mining and ground samples collecting are two different stories.

Collecting ground sample, or taking photos of specific sites, or installing scientific devices could be mission goals included in the career mode. There is no doubt this kind of things will be implemented at some point. Carrer mode requires some kind of goals, which cannot be only planting flags on the long term.

Mining is something else. Mining is a way to get local supply from the environment for your ship during a mission. Mining would be cool but is not required even for a very advanced career mode. After all, real-life space exploration has not been involving mining so far.

Ressource mining and ground samples collecting are two different stories.

Collecting ground sample, or taking photos of specific sites, or installing scientific devices could be mission goals included in the career mode. There is no doubt this kind of things will be implemented at some point. Carrer mode requires some kind of goals, which cannot be only planting flags on the long term.

Mining is something else. Mining is a way to get local supply from the environment for your ship during a mission. Mining would be cool but is not required even for a very advanced career mode. After all, real-life space exploration has not been involving mining so far.

You just ninja'd me by a few minutes. What I want is exactly this, the scientific research an exploration side of the game, not mining to get fuel to go home. I just don't want mining to be a necessary part of the game.

After all, real-life space exploration has not been involving mining so far.

After all, real-life space exploration ain't that advanced now is it?

The first BIG mission they are thinking of in the future, is a colony on Mars.

I don't think resource extraction should be a requisite for doing anything in the game. But at least for the career mode, I think it should be a viable alternative that makes certain other things easier and/or cheaper.

For instance, there's bound to be uranium (or its Kerbal-equivalent) somewhere on Kerbin, so if you need it, it should be there. But sometimes you need it to be somewhere else, e.g. to refuel a reactor or a nuclear rocket on Leythe or something like that. So instead of shipping the uranium directly to Leythe a a great cost in time and fuel, you could also ship an extraction facility to Leythe and produce it on site.

Likewise, you might need fuel for a refuelling station in Kerbin orbit. Again, you could just lift it up from the Space Centre, but that isn't very efficient. So instead, you might mine ice on the Mun or a near-Kerbin asteroid (if we get those), process it into fuel, and ship it from there to Kerbin orbit at a much lower cost, which in turn would reduce the costs of your interplanetary mission considerably.

Or similar with oxygen extraction for a colony on Duna, or manufacturing of spare parts just about anywhere. And so on.

I think that could add a really interesting dimension to the game, and it also reflects what real-life space programmes are actually considering doing.

After all, real-life space exploration ain't that advanced now is it?

The first BIG mission they are thinking of in the future, is a colony on Mars.

Tom K.'s response to haltux is correct. We haven't had to exploit resources in space in real life yet because our efforts so far have been of the feeble, expensive, send everything from home variety of explorations. But if you want to do anything serious and long term in space, you are going to need to find and utilize the available resources out there...be it water in polar lunar craters or martian permafrost, gasses from planetary atmospheres, construction materials from the Moon or asteroids, or whatever. In the long run, it's cheaper to get your materials from out there than it is to ship them up from the bottom of Earth's gravity well.

I don't think resource extraction should be a requisite for doing anything in the game. But at least for the career mode, I think it should be a viable alternative that makes certain other things easier and/or cheaper.

For instance, there's bound to be uranium (or its Kerbal-equivalent) somewhere on Kerbin, so if you need it, it should be there. But sometimes you need it to be somewhere else, e.g. to refuel a reactor or a nuclear rocket on Leythe or something like that. So instead of shipping the uranium directly to Leythe a a great cost in time and fuel, you could also ship an extraction facility to Leythe and produce it on site.

Likewise, you might need fuel for a refuelling station in Kerbin orbit. Again, you could just lift it up from the Space Centre, but that isn't very efficient. So instead, you might mine ice on the Mun or a near-Kerbin asteroid (if we get those), process it into fuel, and ship it from there to Kerbin orbit at a much lower cost, which in turn would reduce the costs of your interplanetary mission considerably.

Or similar with oxygen extraction for a colony on Duna, or manufacturing of spare parts just about anywhere. And so on.

I think that could add a really interesting dimension to the game, and it also reflects what real-life space programmes are actually considering doing.

Agreed, but as long as I can do those things whitout. If I can't build LV-Ns without mining for blutonium, you just lost me.

Agreed, but as long as I can do those things whitout. If I can't build LV-Ns without mining for blutonium, you just lost me.

Noone so far - apart from my Unobtainium for FTLs idea ;) - mentioned "cant without".

Its all about "either bring it with you (as we do it right now all the time) or gather-build in location" up until now.

What would be your opinion on "the isotope found on Duna is more efficient" = less fuel, same thrust/dv?

My biggest concerns regarding the resource system is:How much micromanagement and hands-on will it be?

Flying just the product to the next planet or moving the ore from the miner to the processing unit too?

Can the facility operate in the background?

I dont know how the Kethane mod works as of now, I guess the facilities have to be the active craft to produce anything?

Then people really really need to stop telling me not to talk about the only one we have.

I completely understand how you feel here, I get told to shut about about a lot of things.

Kinda Feel's like I'm in a North Korean Logging camp.

Tom K.'s response to haltux is correct. We haven't had to exploit resources in space in real life yet because our efforts so far have been of the feeble, expensive, send everything from home variety of explorations. But if you want to do anything serious and long term in space, you are going to need to find and utilize the available resources out there...be it water in polar lunar craters or martian permafrost, gasses from planetary atmospheres, construction materials from the Moon or asteroids, or whatever. In the long run, it's cheaper to get your materials from out there than it is to ship them up from the bottom of Earth's gravity well.

This..

Resource management and procurement is essential and IMO, should be a large part of the game..

Noone so far - apart from my Unobtainium for FTLs idea ;) - mentioned "cant without".

Its all about "either bring it with you (as we do it right now all the time) or gather-build in location" up until now.

What would be your opinion on "the isotope found on Duna is more efficient" = less fuel, same thrust/dv?

My biggest concerns regarding the resource system is:How much micromanagement and hands-on will it be?

Flying just the product to the next planet or moving the ore from the miner to the processing unit too?

Can the facility operate in the background?

I dont know how the Kethane mod works as of now, I guess the facilities have to be the active craft to produce anything?

Yes, kethane has to be mined and converted in the active craft, however this can be done under warp and take less than an minmus day for four orange tanks with fuel.

Main benefit of kethane is that you can 1) get fuel from minmus to LKO, this let you reach orbit with pretty empty tanks and refuel, this let you get away with far smaller launchers.

2) Mine at destination, Gilly, Bob and Ike is perfect here. With an mine on Bob you can easy explore the entire Jool system.

In short if you want to set up large bases and stuff mining make it far easier, not much to gain if you only uses small probes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.