[1.0.2] NovaPunch 2.09. - May 6th - 1.0 Compatibility Update

Tiberion

Denny got me started on the Saturn V thing, so thank him for the plethora of Apollo.

New NovaPunch parts look awesome...

Yeah had someone redo some textures and he did a great job. You probably know him.

Speaking of:

qWS6RSH.png

(need to rotate the engines around on the 5x, I just imported and set up the matierials)

So, Stupid_Chris did a comparison of egnines, including the NP engines, and it turns out that The Little Mother is quite a bit overpowered compared to the rest of the NP engines. What are your thoughts on this? I have found it very useful and only slightly overpowered with stock aerodynamics, but with FAR, it could use a nerf.

Little mother is tuned to be a bit hybrid right now, with the new engine I'll probably tweak it again.

For FAR purposes, probably would need a whole modulemanager file anyway.

Oh and Biohazard, those aren't really broken, I didnt want to add like 20 thrusttransforms and have 20 exhaust trails on the screen at once (because lag) so I used 'clusters'

The funny thing about the little mother is, that even though it's overpowered compared to the rest of NovaPunch, it's underpowered compared to the ARM parts. The only case where I've used the ARM engines without thinking it was overpowered was when I was making my single-launch Orion style Duna Crew Transfer Vehicle.

I just have to say, I'm lovin' that new Freyja capsule. It's kind of Orion-like (albeit bigger) but it fills a need like no other - and it looks mighty sharp to boot. Thanks for keeping NP going, there's always a reason for me to have it in my builds.

yeah i was thinking about just saying %$*! it and just starting a fresh download and install mod by mod (with NP2 as the first mod) and seeing which ones don't like it... i'm running alot of mods so it's a mild hassel but i'll try getting it down and report back so you can make it compatible (or at least warn others)

sorry Tiberion i was wrong and you were right... during my testing i've installed most of my previous mods with no trouble... now i fear that installing KJR will make the pod go bad and just clip through the bottom "trunk" part...

Oh and Biohazard, those aren't really broken, I didnt want to add like 20 thrusttransforms and have 20 exhaust trails on the screen at once (because lag) so I used 'clusters'

This wouldn't lag if you added a transform to every nozzle, BobCat's done that. So you can, too. Right now, it looks really bad.

That is precisely what would cause lag. For every thrust transform you add, it draws another set of FX (smoke, light, flame particles, even sounds) The more it draws, the more lag it causes. See: any asparagus monstrosity with 10+ engines on the 1st stage.

I tried it that way in the very 1st version of (when I converted the omnibertha to use the thrustVector engine method. It affected framerate, and my machine is well above the specs needed for KSP. I might try it out again since its been a while, we'll see.

But it really only looks bad directly from below like in the screenshot.

Also, you're being a bit rude again. Not really encouraging me to put much thought into your opinions.

Antimatter: Well, if KJR causes it to happen then we'll at least know the cause. I thought we had eliminated it though. Make sure you're using the new version for the ARM patch.

Hey Tiberion, love your work and it's been good to me so far.

I have one question about NovaPunch's aerospace part. Is NovaPunch aerospace parts FAR compatible? This is because, I still see lift ratings in the parts and I'm just curious if the parts take into account FAR values.

The details of it are here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/20451-0-23-5-Ferram-Aerospace-Research-v0-13-4-2-14/page368

Thanks for your time :) and sorry if I made a mistake when posting this.

No, I haven't balanced anything for FAR and I assume that using FAR with my engines could make things a tad easy launch-wise. Like I said earlier, there would probably need to be an entire set of configs for FAR. This would probably be best done by someone more familiar with the math than I. Outside of balance issues, everything should work with FAR now though, as I made the needed changes to node sizes and fairing names.

By the way, are you talking specifically about the winglet parts? Those are mostly intended as stabilizers for rockets rather than plane parts.

No, I haven't balanced anything for FAR and I assume that using FAR with my engines could make things a tad easy launch-wise. Like I said earlier, there would probably need to be an entire set of configs for FAR. This would probably be best done by someone more familiar with the math than I. Outside of balance issues, everything should work with FAR now though, as I made the needed changes to node sizes and fairing names.

By the way, are you talking specifically about the winglet parts? Those are mostly intended as stabilizers for rockets rather than plane parts.

Yes, the winglet parts. Ok I understand it now :)

Thank you :)

ok Tiberion (wait is this name from C&C tiberion wars?) it's EPL that's doing it not KJR i just installed all mods and as soon as i removed EPL it didn't clip through the trunk so ya... sorry for misleading there

Edited by AntiMatter001

Tiberion, about Matriarch: can you release a test version with "all engines running" for us to compare performance? My computer isn't exactly slow (i7-980X, 12 Gb RAM, GTX Titan), but I reworked my ultra-heavy (7xBearcat) launcher into 7xMatriarch variant and didn't noticed any performance problems (except TWR, of course :) ).

Loving the new Freyja pod, finally a high capacity pod for other than the spaceplane set! But unless I've missed something obvious, is there a separate decoupler to use it with other than the dedicated service module?

It will work without decoupler, since said decoupler is integrated into the pod (it will look ugly, however). You can also use any 3.75m decoupler (NP, KW, ARM, etc), just check your staging so both decouplers are in the same stage.

Antimatter: Well, if KJR causes it to happen then we'll at least know the cause. I thought we had eliminated it though. Make sure you're using the new version for the ARM patch.

KJR doesn't seem to be the problem, because I haven't installed it and the Freyja Capsule just clips right trough the Service Module.

Edited by Khoal

Okay so EPL seems to be Extra-planetary Launchpads - Do you have that installed? Seems like I remember it being mentioned before with this issue, I guess I need to comb through the topic to find the posts. If you have EPl try disabling it and see if it fixes it like it did for Antimatter.

I can probably make a small adapter for the Freyja pod to use it without the trunk.

biohazard: Yeah I was planning on it, will probably toss it in with the new engines for some testing.

And no, my name isn't from the C&C game (that was Tiberian or Tiberium) but I imagine those words come from the same root as mine; The roman emperor Tiberius. Tiberion is a variation on it, used as a family name and such after the rein of Tiberius himself. I actually use it due to James Tiberius Kirk, though :)

Okay so EPL seems to be Extra-planetary Launchpads - Do you have that installed? Seems like I remember it being mentioned before with this issue, I guess I need to comb through the topic to find the posts. If you have EPl try disabling it and see if it fixes it like it did for Antimatter.

Yep, it's EPL. Narf.

It will work without decoupler, since said decoupler is integrated into the pod (it will look ugly, however). You can also use any 3.75m decoupler (NP, KW, ARM, etc), just check your staging so both decouplers are in the same stage.

right, so, any prospect of an adapter or shroud, Tibetin? Big gaps in space ships are rather unsightly:sticktongue:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.