[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Wave, if I install the KSPI tree using TreeLoader, will I be in trouble when the update is released?

I think he mentioned something about not using tree loader in the future. @Wave: true? If so, when? ...

Actually... Upgraded plasma thrusters can use the quantum vacuum as fuel, you just need to switch to that from anything else once you have unlocked the upgrade (and have enough power). Also, you don't need onboard propellant for the upgraded thermal turbojet either, you just need some air intakes and a reactor (or a microwave thermal receiver).

for all turbojets u dont need a propelant in atmosphere but upgradet can use LFO as propelant in vacum just didnt now that we can use upgradet plazma trusters without propelant that..... gives a lots of options with huge power network ....

and i have one more idea to have some parts compatibile with KAS aspacjaly smallest radiators ( so if we install it and have to much heat in pannels with existing version.. just grab some and attach!

Edited by sober667

I'm at a loss. When I upgraded from Fractal's KSP-I to Wave's a long time ago, I removed Treeloader, ORS and WarpPlugin first and everything was working fine. Recently I reinstalled everything, KSP and all mods and now I keep getting the "resource deprived" error. I think it happens after I load a quicksave, but not always, it seems random. I think it started after I upgraded MKS, so I removed the ORS folder again and replaced it with the one from Interstellar, but that didn't solve it. I also deleted the openresource dll I found in the scansat folder, but that didn't solve it either. It looks like I can temporarily fix it by replacing the "NaN" entries in the savefile with proper values. But the issue keeps coming back. I think it might be an incorrect entry in some save or config file, I can't find it though.

Since WaveFunctionP is close to a new version I don't think it makes sense to dig deep into this issue now, but if anyone has seen this before and knows a quick fix for this issue that would be cool.

for all turbojets u dont need a propelant in atmosphere

Sure you do: the thermal turbojets are configured to heat the atmosphere as eject it at high speeds as propellant. you could use golf balls too. you just need to throw things out the back with enough efficiency.

but upgradet can use LFO as propelant in vacum

Yup, in the same way that a hybrid rocket can use either liquid fuel and atmospheric oxygen (like a traditional turbojet) or switch over to LF+Ox for extra-atmospheric operation (like a traditional rocket). the difference is that the Thermal systems use the reactor's heat as the propelling energy, rather then the explosive fuels.

just didnt now that we can use upgradet plazma trusters without propelant that..... gives a lots of options with huge power network ....

the only problem with plasma thrusters is the conversion rates. to go from Fission/Fusion/antiproton/etc to Thermal/Charged Baryons/etc to Electricity to vector thrust you have an incomplete conversion at each step, and a little loss at each step. the problem gets worse when you add two microwave steps into the mix. Efficient systems should minimize this loss, since it's always easier to not generate power that isn't being useful.

the counter argument is that, sometimes, local efficiency is gained at the expense of systematic inefficiencies. This is the argument for electric cars too, that it's more efficient to generate lots of kinetic energy at high volume, high efficiency, electrical generators and transfer that energy over inefficient power lines to inefficient electrical motors connected to wheels then to just start with inefficient kinetic motors that are directly connected to wheels.

Right... that explains all the trouble... I thought I had checked versions but apparently missed the version check for this.

Time to go investigate the options for downgrading KSP

Thanks

No need to downgrade KSP, just use the experimental build in WaveFunctionP's sig, its working fine with .24.2. You can also place it into your current install if you don't want to create a fresh one, just delete the older/current folders relating to KSPI before pasting in the new ones :)

I've been messing around with various antimatter bottle abuses...

does anyone else have the thing where they make a massive flash of light and shockwave if they run out of power intact, but if they just slam into the surface or something they explode like normal and don't damage anything else? That seems a bit odd.

Antimatter bombs, not so much. I just find I would probably treat the antimatter bottles a little more carefully (ie never ever ever put one on a lander or plane) if I knew breaking them would light up Kerbin from the surface of the Mun, but as my mucking around shows, that doesn't happen in my game.

Ive been seeing random lights pass over the surfaces of Kerbin and Minmus in the map view, and just now the oceans of Kerbin and the entire surface of Minmus turned rainbow colors. Not sure what's going on there...

kerbal gay pride celebration?

I'm playing with thermal rockets, and have setup a 1000 gigajoule solar power satellite around the sun (with enough batteries to milk the full power) and three relay satellites around the sun and Kerbin which give me full equatorial coverage of both (the relays are just one medium transceiver and one large battery). I've even setup relays at ground level to make sure they're being beamed perpendicular to the launch pad.

However, my rockets only seem to receive about ~0.55 gigajoules at the launch pad. The super solar satellite is the only power source in my power network, so I know its connected or I would be getting zero power from my relays. When I add more than one thermal receiver to a ship the ~0.55 gigajoules seems to be diluted/split between them, reducing thrust even further.

Is receiving such a tiny portion of power from the sun normal, or is my power being bottlenecked by something?

I didn't even know solar panels could give you usable power (megajoules) in KSPI. Having said that, does the mod account for atmosphere losses? Might the super solar satellite be in partial shadow or flipped on its side relative to the sun? Honestly I have never even managed to make microwave power work properly but I'm just spouting off ideas here. :P

I'm playing with thermal rockets, and have setup a 1000 gigajoule solar power satellite around the sun (with enough batteries to milk the full power) and three relay satellites around the sun and Kerbin which give me full equatorial coverage of both (the relays are just one medium transceiver and one large battery). I've even setup relays at ground level to make sure they're being beamed perpendicular to the launch pad.

However, my rockets only seem to receive about ~0.55 gigajoules at the launch pad. The super solar satellite is the only power source in my power network, so I know its connected or I would be getting zero power from my relays. When I add more than one thermal receiver to a ship the ~0.55 gigajoules seems to be diluted/split between them, reducing thrust even further.

Is receiving such a tiny portion of power from the sun normal, or is my power being bottlenecked by something?

The atmosphere will limit your transmission, it cuts a lot of power, and the distance from the sun causes a loss of about 50% of the beamed power. So if you're beaming back 1 GW, you're only going to be seeing 500MW in Low orbit, and alot is going to be lost in the atmosphere.

Solution, see my link at the bottom which is my "Relay Plan" and shows a way that i have about 8 GW anywhere on Kerbin and in LKO.

The solar farm close to the Sun is the best "fire and forget" power source.

Finally, make some reactor rovers in the space plane building and drive them a few KM away to the Hills, with fusion/fission reactors and microwave transmitters, they send power directly to the launchpad and are barely affected by the atmosphere over such a short distance.

Hope that helps. ;):P

http://imgur.com/7Vk4vLK

Is the current version of KSPI running successfully on KSP v0.24.2? I tried about a fortnight ago and it kept causing all sorts of glitches (e.g. that bright pink and green and yellow coloured screen when you open the VAB). Nothing showed up in the player or KSP logs but the error only ever occurred when I had KSPI installed...

I'm running the 32-bit Mac version.

TIA.

Is the current version of KSPI running successfully on KSP v0.24.2? I tried about a fortnight ago and it kept causing all sorts of glitches (e.g. that bright pink and green and yellow coloured screen when you open the VAB). Nothing showed up in the player or KSP logs but the error only ever occurred when I had KSPI installed...

I'm running the 32-bit Mac version.

TIA.

Nope, you'll have to use wavefunction's experimental update. Go back a few pages to find it in his sig.

He's releasing a new version soon though which will break save compatibility so you may wayya wait for that.