[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

After applying the newest version, the Karbonite air-breathing engines freeze the game's initial loading screen. Not sure why, since the patch shouldn't have touched the UmbraSpaceIndustries directory. Either way the loading screen hands unless KA_Jet_Radial, KA_Jet_Stack, and KA_Jet_PropFan are deleted.

That happened to me with novapunch installed, think roverdude needs to go over something, seems related to his mods.

-snippiddysnipsnip

- For lowest possible orbit Kerbol (the sun) satellites, you'll need thousands(!) of tons of battery units to milk the maximum amount of power out of those regular OKWB-250 Blanket solar power arrays (the largest ones from Near Future power). Each of those requires417 of the BK-12K Rechargeable Battery Bank (the largest battery, 12000 EC each). This is almost guaranteed to lag/crash out your game, so as an alternative I'd recommend a TweakScaled B-3K Rechargeable Battery Bank. Scaled up to 5 meters wide, each of those can hold 1.4 million EC, greatly reducing part-count required and therefore physics lag. But even then, the battery capacity + thermal radiators for a single OKWB-250 Blanket is still ~1300 tons, even excluding any propulsion or additional gear.

My strategy was to assemble it into multiple battery "silos" and move each silo into orbit individually before assembling it together to make this:

(Note: Pretty much all modules you see in the picture were upscaled using TweakScale to the maximum size possible).

I had issues with stacking stock batteries (so spongy/springy) until I started using Procedural Parts. It is now one of my most essential mods as it allows me to drastically cut down on partcount, and initial loading time. I was able to delete all of the various fuel tanks accumulated through the different mods. In regards to the solar sats, I am able to just use one massive battery (hundreds of millions EC) as a structural element. The different sizes and shapes and textures you can use allow you to make some very good looking craft as well. When building a rocket you can tweak the length of the fuel tanks to give you the exact ÃŽâ€V that you need.

Edit: derp. deleted a stupid question that I had missed the answer to.

Edited by Atrius129

I'd suggest Wave make a short info post and have a mod lock this thread so anyone looking for the new version will see it. Thread can always be unlocked if Fractal returns.

We should definitely do this.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd suggest Wave make a short info post and have a mod lock this thread so anyone looking for the new version will see it. Thread can always be unlocked if Fractal returns.

We should definitely do this.

I'm having a weird bug where in if I try and pull out a thermal turbojet/rocket nozzle in the VAB/SPH it fires while in the assembly building, and just kinda sparks and refuses to work in the actual world.

This version of kspi is no longer supported or functional in the current version of ksp.

I have developed a working version should you wish play it, but it is not the same version as the OP and is not developed or supported by fractaluk, who is no longer active.

Here is the thread:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/91867-0-24-2-Interstellar-Experimental-Tweakscale-Integration-v0-12exp-Aug-25

Edited by WaveFunctionP

I've been wondering- what exactly is the antimatter initiated reactor good for? It's heavy, it has a lower core temperature and power output than other reactors of its size and tech level, and it needs antimatter to run. There also doesn't appear to be much documentation or FAQs addressing it. What's with that reactor, and what am I missing?

I had issues with stacking stock batteries (so spongy/springy) until I started using Procedural Parts. It is now one of my most essential mods as it allows me to drastically cut down on partcount, and initial loading time. I was able to delete all of the various fuel tanks accumulated through the different mods. In regards to the solar sats, I am able to just use one massive battery (hundreds of millions EC) as a structural element. The different sizes and shapes and textures you can use allow you to make some very good looking craft as well. When building a rocket you can tweak the length of the fuel tanks to give you the exact ÃŽâ€V that you need.

Edit: derp. deleted a stupid question that I had missed the answer to.

Bro thanks a ton for that Procedural Parts link, i am using it now and just off the screen shots it looks like its going to save A LOT of hassle! :D:cool::confused:

Much appreciated!

The Gecko

I've been wondering- what exactly is the antimatter initiated reactor good for? It's heavy, it has a lower core temperature and power output than other reactors of its size and tech level, and it needs antimatter to run. There also doesn't appear to be much documentation or FAQs addressing it. What's with that reactor, and what am I missing?

The reason the antimatter initiated reactor is good is because it runs on a much smaller amount of antimatter than the fully fledged antimatter reactors, and produces more power than the fusion reactors. The downside is the size and weight, but it is much more efficient antimatter wise.

Technically for its size prior to the re-imagining it had a really really solid performance/weight ratio (12 tons vs 54 tons vs 36 tons compared to the antimatter and fusion reactors in 3.75 meter size respectively; it was however, complex and expensive to get running as it needed both He3 and antimatter. Antimatter being the easier to obtain resource in large quantities). So far not a big fan of the blanket reductions in power output of the later tier technology.

I've been getting some kind of erratic behavior out of the AIM reactor. I tried putting two generators on it, one KTEC solid state and one direct conversion, but before I launched it, they both turned into direct converters without telling me. I didn't notice until trying to charge the Alcubierre drive drained all my charged particles very fast and killed the reactor's performance. Shutting down one of the two generators made the drive charge quickly and sustainably.

It didn't get weird until I fixed the ship and converted the other generator back to a KTEC solid state- after that, I couldn't charge the drive for more than a few seconds without the thermal power and charged particles hitting zero and the reactor taking many minutes to get back up to any meaningful power output. Turning off either generator sometimes extended the charge time available, but usually not. Is there some other thing about how to set these things up that I'm not getting, or at least a way to adjust how much power the Alcubierre drive uses while charging?

Edit: I made sure I had plenty of deuterium and uranium nitride, as well as an antimatter supply and a trickle of helium-3 coming in from decaying tritium. I'll admit I'm not quite sure what I actually need to make this thing go and in what proportions, but it ran okay and never said resource deprived or anything.

Edited by GreeningGalaxy

I've been getting some kind of erratic behavior out of the AIM reactor. I tried putting two generators on it, one KTEC solid state and one direct conversion, but before I launched it, they both turned into direct converters without telling me. I didn't notice until trying to charge the Alcubierre drive drained all my charged particles very fast and killed the reactor's performance. Shutting down one of the two generators made the drive charge quickly and sustainably.

It didn't get weird until I fixed the ship and converted the other generator back to a KTEC solid state- after that, I couldn't charge the drive for more than a few seconds without the thermal power and charged particles hitting zero and the reactor taking many minutes to get back up to any meaningful power output. Turning off either generator sometimes extended the charge time available, but usually not. Is there some other thing about how to set these things up that I'm not getting, or at least a way to adjust how much power the Alcubierre drive uses while charging?

Edit: I made sure I had plenty of deuterium and uranium nitride, as well as an antimatter supply and a trickle of helium-3 coming in from decaying tritium. I'll admit I'm not quite sure what I actually need to make this thing go and in what proportions, but it ran okay and never said resource deprived or anything.

Ok fairly long answer coming :P

Firstly, you'll probably want to switch to using WaveFunctionP's new KSP EXPERIMENTAL version, as this one is no longer supported.

Secondly, the problem you're dealing with is native to the previous version. In short, the warp drive takes everything it can get its hands on and then some. Best option (if you wanna charge it on the pad) is to have a ground based power rover that has a microwave transmitter set to transmit, and put a receiver on your current ship. This way, you wont kill your reactor and the microwave power will only give you so much before throttling itself, but again, this problem doesn't exist on the new version, along with quite a few of the parts you probably used to build it.

In short, about your last question, it needs A LOT of any power you throw at it. Charging my warp drive, regardless of where it was, took a solid 7 mins and i had a 1TW microwave network supplied by 8 fusion generators (5 in orbit and 3 on the ground) as well as a few of the big antimatter orbital boys with a ton of collectors.

So, in short, you aren't doing anything wrong. I'm assuming you're playing in sandbox mode? Your drive will charge, just slowly :P

EDIT : Link is here http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/91867-0-24-2-Interstellar-Experimental-Tweakscale-Integration-v0-12exp-Aug-25

Edited by Gecko99
link added

Okay, am I an idiot, or what? I have no idea how to start any of the reactors. I just unlocked the basic fission reactors, and I can't find a way to fuel them. UF4 deprived, it says, even though I have the fuel pods directly attached to the reactor. How the heck do I get this thing to start?

Okay, am I an idiot, or what? I have no idea how to start any of the reactors. I just unlocked the basic fission reactors, and I can't find a way to fuel them. UF4 deprived, it says, even though I have the fuel pods directly attached to the reactor. How the heck do I get this thing to start?

Which version of KSP are you on? Which version of KSPI are you using? Do you have wave's experimental version?

Which version of KSP are you on? Which version of KSPI are you using? Do you have wave's experimental version?

I'm on KSP 24.2.559, and as far as I know I'm using the most up-to-date version of KSPI. I had to start using wave's version to fix the part clipping issue. Should I not be using it?

I'm on KSP 24.2.559, and as far as I know I'm using the most up-to-date version of KSPI. I had to start using wave's version to fix the part clipping issue. Should I not be using it?

No that's correct if you want this version of the mod. Wave's experimental .11 version should be working. Are you able to right click the reactor in the VAB and add fuel? The reactor should have fuel inside them already.

No that's correct if you want this version of the mod. Wave's experimental .11 version should be working. Are you able to right click the reactor in the VAB and add fuel? The reactor should have fuel inside them already.

I can right click, but the buttons don't seem to do anything. I tried adding thorium fuel pods as well as UF4 pods, which made it say I needed to do EVA maintenance. I did the maintenance, and it fixed nothing. Same text, UF4 deprived. I checked the reactor, and it has 1200 units, in addition to the extra uranium in the pods. Also, side note, I have a thermal engine attached to the reactor, as well as some water for fuel, and it also reads as resource deprived. I think there's something wrong with my install.

Okay, I really have no clue what I'm doing here. The install on the OP doesn't work. The latest experimental version fixed the old problems, adds a whole bunch of other stuff that caused new problems. The older version of the experimental doesn't work either. I guess the real question I want to have answered is 'What version is Scott Manley using?' His version seems to work okay. How do I get that one?

Okay, I really have no clue what I'm doing here. The install on the OP doesn't work. The latest experimental version fixed the old problems, adds a whole bunch of other stuff that caused new problems. The older version of the experimental doesn't work either. I guess the real question I want to have answered is 'What version is Scott Manley using?' His version seems to work okay. How do I get that one?

Scott Manley is using KSP 23.5

It is like wave said. Scott Manley's version is this one. https://github.com/WaveFunctionP/KSPInterstellar/releases/tag/v0.11exp

It has been patched for 0.24.2. Please understand that there are still bugs with this version and I don't know if wave or anyone else will fix in the immediate future.

It is like wave said. Scott Manley's version is this one. https://github.com/WaveFunctionP/KSPInterstellar/releases/tag/v0.11exp

It has been patched for 0.24.2. Please understand that there are still bugs with this version and I don't know if wave or anyone else will fix in the immediate future.

Manley is using fractal's last version, not mine. His install is still .23.5.

as has been mentioned, scott intentionally left his interstellar quest running in 0.23.5, because of the bugs in KSPi 0.11 when running on 0.24.2.

you should go over here and get the WaveFunction fork, since it fixes a ton of bugs and includes lots of new-ness-ness.

I am trying to produce a little antimatter to run an antimatter initiated reactor, but I don't have particle accelerators unlocked yet, so I can't build AM collectors.

So I am trying to use the "antimatter factory" function of the science labs, but it always has 0% efficiency. I tried it on the ground and in space. I have two fully-powered science labs running around the clock, with fully-powered, empty antimatter containers attached to them, but I'm not getting a single microgram of antimatter ;.;