Naming and Numbering

LittleItaly

Yea, basically a culmination of everything already mentioned here. Normally, the actual name part of it is either related to the mission or a random name I happened to think of (although, I still try to keep it somewhat "cool" lol). Then I also add a numbering system from I (one) up; basically for the same reason as Vegesus44 mentioned, so I can go back and see the progression of mission failures and to remind myself of how much better I am now on 'Crappy Spacecraft Mk. V' than I was on 'Crappy Spacecraft Mk. I'. :D

Great thread, this has been a thought of mine since KSP day 1.

I have no convention of name, mission, or stage of mission, bounce between them random. I think it is time for me to standardize that one way or the other.

As for model convention (Mk I, etc.), I usually just do 1a or Ia. Then I bump the alpha number upon necessary "backups". The numeric designation will change if I make major changes to the stages of the rocket when the configuration is noticeably different.

As for using the "Mk #" Mark sequence, does anyone have a reason why some rockets (and other vehicle designs) in real life sometimes obtain that designation? Does it mean prototype? I could google it i am sure, but if anyone has their story for that I'd like to hear it.

As for using the "Mk #" Mark sequence, does anyone have a reason why some rockets (and other vehicle designs) in real life sometimes obtain that designation? Does it mean prototype? I could google it i am sure, but if anyone has their story for that I'd like to hear it.

I googled it. Basically a Mark is a "mark" in the stage of the project as stated by wikipedia: "a mark is often made to measure height or progress"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_(designation)

Its just a fancy pants way of doing I, II, III, ...

Greek/Roman words pertaining to the mission objective (Helios for my solar station)

Cool sounding English words describing vehicle purpose (Cartographer for my mapping probes)

Names of famous people for most of my bases/large vessels (Columbus for my first base on Minmus)

Everything gets a number, starting with I, just in case there are more. I have 7 Pleiades crafts, one for each planet aside from Kerbin and one for Laythe, they're all numbered.

I have 3 parts of my name:

1. JSS (Joshington Space Ship) goes at the beginning.

2. The actual name is usually simple, like "Mun Lander" or "Minmus Lander" or "Duna Scout".

3. The version number is at the end, such as "Mk.1" and "Mk.3"

So the full name for the first craft I built was "JSS Mun Lander Mk.1"

Not sure if that helped you at all but that's how I do it.

I usually name my ships something descriptive but unimaginative then add a roman numeral for any revisions or redesigns. Thus, I have "Mun Lander I", "Mun Lander II", etc...

I do animals and countries. Landers after ground animals, stations after birds, ships as countries.

I've had the Crazy Squirrel, the Ecuador and Siberia and Madagscar, the Albatross..

Edited by Lheim

Something like KCom, KEOCom, Meteo KERB, KPS for kerbin orbit. Almaz space station. Hawk, Hawk T, Eagle, Corona for manned missions. Mun Reconnaisance Orbiter and so on for exploratory missions. SPEKTR R, M, IR, UV-VIS, X-Gamma for observatories. Nutshell for manned lander.

The naming convention is as follows:

(Acronym explaining vehicle role/Program association)-(Iteration Number) "(Nickname/Callsign)"

Example: AM-02 "Ursa" (Project Astral Mightâ„¢ Fleet Number 2, Callsign Ursa)

I find that this is effective in not only describing the craft, but it is an excellent deterrent to me spewing random numbers and letters, so I like it!

Edited by SkyHook

All awesome explanations! I figured I'd throw my hat in as well, though i may be going a little overboard.

Big space stations (multiple parts) will get the prefix "LRM" (my initials) along with the name itself (at the moment, the Lotus). I'll try to name my ships after either Classical Greek/Roman names or Biblical names ( I have the Ulysses Lander, the Joshua Probe, the Argo Lifter, the Moses Shuttle, etc.) I always will start with "I" and will move up in the numbers for each major addition or subtraction of parts (so no number change for keeping the same parts but just rearranging them) though I really like Skyhook's system. Sounds just like a real military naming system!

I tend to make 1 central ship with an unique name. That name can be anything, but I usually stick to Greek mythology. I then make a whole load of addons that I can dock to the central ship to make it do different things.

So, for example, my workhorse ship right now is the Argos. I then have modules called "Argos lander", "Argos comsat delivery", "Argos interplanetary drive" etc. Depending on the size I'll launch them together or separate.

My latest mission successful ship for 0.21.1 was called "Bring back Jeb 3"(Bring back Jeb is on a Kerbol orbit, doh no static kolar panals & Bring back Jeb 2 needed Niel as pilot as Dudski used too much fuel landing to return, doh again)and I am now building "Duna sat recon". What it does and numerical model number standard system it seems.

if I do a real life like mission like going to the mun or docking two ships together I would call it something like Kerbollo or Jebini if I do minmus mission or something I call it something that sounds cool and I number usually like 1,2,3 sometimes I use roman numerals and mk.

I have to admit that my names are fairly random. I have had Monstrosity, Beyond Reason, Apollo Analogue, Kerkury . . . .

My space stations are Kerblab followed by a number. I'm up to Kerblab 5.

When I modify a spacecraft, big revisions get a number. Smaller revisions get a letter, which might be A/B/C etc (for a small incremental change), or a single letter indicating a feature of the revision (e.g. N for the addition of nuclear engines).

Sometimes I'll even give a number to a letter (e.g. Kerkury 7b-2). Rarely though, because down that path madness lies.

I name ships either what they are (biplane, minmus base module, rocket car, etc.), what the design is based on (KSP designs like Kurtjmac's minmus rocket Curiosity V heavy, real rockets like the Saturn IB, etc.), or random names I think up on the spot. Lately I have taken to naming my designs after things from the Lord of the Rings. My manned rover is called the Frodo; my upgraded Minmus base module is called Minmus Tirith(a pun on Minas Tirith).

I have different naming conventions for different mission types. For example, my mapping satellites all get the name "Cartographer #" (where # is the mission number, so my mapping satellite for Kerbin was Cartographer I, and my most recent one to Eve was Cartographer VI. For manned missions, I like to use the names of explorers (as I consider them exploration missions), so I use names like "Columbus", "Vespucci", "Amundsen", and each of those will be designated for a specific system. So Columbus I would be (as an example) a manned mission to Duna, and Columbus II would be to Duna's moon (Ike). :)

Target Body ----> Craft Type ---> Greek Letter ---> Roman Numeral

Allows me to be very specific with changes I make along the way when designing. Mun Lander Alpha I, Duna Orbiter Gamma IV, Minmus Scanner Beta V...etc etc

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.