[0.24.2] TiberDyne Aerospace R&D Division - Shuttle System 3.6 Career Update!

Tiberion

• 3 weeks later...

So my dropbox account ran out of bandwidth, so the download has been down a day or so. I am trying out a new free file host (Zippyshare) so let me know how the site works. (Sorry, but it has a landing page, no direct download URL anymore)

Download here: http://www65.zippyshare.com/v/43265330/file.html

I have had 1.2c mostly ready for a while and just never finished up the polish, so I went ahead and did that today before reuploading, so here is the changes:

0IeFM.png

-New model for the Bearcat rocket engine (and the 3 engine shuttle cluster part as a result)

-Made Bearcat and shuttle cluster half as heavy, they were making the thing so aft-heavy it would not glide or turn via control surfaces. My bad.

-Reworked textures for the Bearcub jet engines

-Tweaked the craft files, KSP 0.13.1 reversed fuel line directions, thus they needed to be flipped around in direction. Check your own saves as well.

Let me know how the orbiter flies now - the Orbiter save still only has the wing engines thrusting at launch, so the main engines are dead weight. It should fly much more solidly.

Not sure what is next for the pack. With C7 redoing his whole pack, lots of these parts will be obsolete, and things I had planned may not work.

For those that use this, what do you want to see? What do you not like?

For those that use this, what do you want to see? What do you not like?

I tend to use the larger black wing-tank for every shuttle variation I have, its a nice design and is especially useful with the black control surface that can be attached on the front.

So perhaps a longer variant of that one, or even a 1m version for larger shuttles would be nice?

How about a different attachment for the nose? Instead of ASAS it could be something else, maybe a small amount of RCS fuel, I only mention that as sometimes you want to use a different ASAS with a setup which means you\'d have to sacrifice the nice looking shuttle nose section.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like the folder in your GME mods folder may be messed up.

Uninstall the pack from KSP using GME, then make sure no leftover folders remain in the main parts folder, then go into the GME Mods folder and clear that out and recopy from the latest download and re-enable it in GME.

If its still messing up then, hit alt+f2 to turn on the error log while loading, to see if you can get a specific error message.

It seems to be working right on this end, so I\'ll need more info.

Nice update. We\'re finally getting closer to properly replicating the entire shuttle. I haven\'t read the whole thread yet, do you plan on keeping it Kerabal or are you going to make it look more realistic? Scale, shape etc.

Its not supposed to be a NASA orbiter replica or anything, just filled in some parts to turn the C7 shuttle parts into a more complete ship.

I used this concept as inspiration for the additional parts: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=150fd58e55111034761c6d3861a25da2&prevstart=0

In the future, the exterior engines/tanks will be for atmospheric flight, perhaps for tradtional takeoff and climbing via ramjet or whatever with the final boost to orbit done with the main engines (also saving enough fuel to perhaps go extra-planetary)

I\'d still like someone proficient with textures to redo them properly sometime, though at this point it sort of depends on how the new C7 parts develop and whether he replicates the shuttle parts this time.

Not sure what else to do in the meantime.

The key is to throttle WAY back when maneuvering during launch, the gimbals will make the flip HARD so the lower power in the engines, the better. Don\'t be afraid to use RCS to help rollover and such, there\'s plenty in the External tank nose to use during ascent without using any of the shuttle\'s RCS fuel.

Guest meteorite 101

ONE MORE THING your engine parts have way to much gimballing no offence i can hardly control the rockets that you made. (by the way good job on the crafts.) but you missing 2 parts on your Energia/Buran rocket you need 2 more SRB\'S

Well, the gimbal range was absolutely needed to offset the massive weight of the tank/boosters during launch, otherwise it wanted to pitch end over end.

This was before I could set a static vector for engines, and I have been playing with having the engine cluster permanently vectored 15 degrees 'down' which would cause severe 'nose up' flight alone, but with tank attached, its pretty balanced.

Can\'t remove the gimbals completely, because of the balance shifts when dropping the boosters and using fuel out of tank segments, but I can steer the shuttle stack during initial launch without ASAS now, which is a vast improvement.

As for the boosters - I didn\'t really like how the 4x boosters looked when I tried it, so I left it at 2. I\'d have to cut the thrust in half anyway. We\'ll see - they technically need to be 'liquid' boosters, but we can\'t currently do one piece liquid boosters, so its a name thing anyway.

By the way, there are Energia configs that only used 2 boosters (Energia M) and another with 8 of them in a ring around the tank (for heavy lifting/moon shots) and they weren\'t completely sure Buran would have needed all 4 boosters unless carrying a heavy payload.

Also: Still waiting to hear how you plan to use the parts. For now, permission is NOT granted.

I did what you said and the shuttle is controlable in space with practice, but i\'m afraid that trying to control it in atmosphere (at least above 5,000) is practically impossible, it tends to do crazy roles and such, but I think it\'s more just because the game doesn\'t have the high tech computers that the real shuttle has that gives extreme stabilization when the astronauts are piloting it.

I\'ve made my own shuttle and it works out great =D the only thing is that the fuel pumps don\'t seem to transfer RCS fuel from the big red tank to my shuttle, is there something specific you have to do to make it work?

Yeah if you run at about half throttle its manageable currently, I also found that I need some heavy struts, as the default ones are too weak and the tanks likes to flop about.

Thankfully after some more tweaking the new thrustvectored engines make flying quite a bit easier. I need to do the same for the Energia booster engines, then the flight should feel a lot better all around.

Other planned updates are Orbital engines (once you jettison the tank the Main engines will stop getting fuel, and only the OMEs and the wing engines will provide movement - this will free up the big fuel tank on the shuttle for a cargo hold in the near future as well.)

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.