[0.24.2] TiberDyne Aerospace R&D Division - Shuttle System 3.6 Career Update!

Tiberion

Not having the gear is annoying for me too; the problem is having mount points for the wheels, they wont attach right except right in the middle of the fuselage.

The fix for that will hopefully be either the new build mechanics in the spaceplane VAB, or with C7s new lander parts, which might offer more gear types.

Did you have RCS turned on when trying to maneuver with the tank? I dont even add RCS thrusters to the tank anymore since ive been flying it so much, but if you have trouble, a ring of rcs around the top of the tank can help, there\'s plenty of RCS fuel in the tank nosecone.

So, originally for 2.0 I intended to redo a lot of the models since I am at least somewhat better at it all these months later; I started with the Energia main engines and the wings but got busy with the new modules and that is as far as I got. (I\'m not totally happy with the wings either, but with the horizontal VAB coming, I figure we can wait until proper symmetry is possible)

So, next up was replacing the Bearcat main engines; I decided to make them closer to actual SSMEs this time around.

z8rP6.png

Tiberion,PLEASE don\'t change the SLS100 Bearcat liquid engine. With a thrust of 125,burn rate of 1 and gimbal range of 10.0 this is by FAR my fav and most used engine. (i\'ll keep the old one just in case)

mat: what versions was those numbers in? Sounds like an old one from before the fuel lines, to basically simulate a lot of fuel in the Ext. In 2.0 its 175thrust, 7fuel usage, and weighs something small like 1 unit or less.

Since the standalone Bearcat isn\'t actually used in my shuttle stacks, I am open to adjusting its numbers to make it useful elsewhere; but it needs to be reasonably balanced (and fuel usage one 1 isn\'t balanced :P)

Stimpy: None of the names changed as I recall, though a few received new models or tweaks so the connection nodes might be moved; you can solve that by simply grabbing and re-attaching them.

The ones that could have changed are: bearcat and bearcub, SBS main engine (the big 2meter engine) the shuttle engine cluster (and its changing again), the shuttle engine mount, the main wing and both solid boosters

Hopefully I am not forgetting one.

Tiberion,It MIGHT have come from Vers 1.2c (not too sure) but i wouldn\'t have D/L\'d it any earlier than Feb this year. With the thrust of 125 and burn rate of 1, I\'d have to say it\'s PERFECTLY balanced for my 'operations',,wooohooo

Semininja; I can look at a new strut, but its going to be pretty much the same; its still a single point of connection.

It shouldn\'t be flopping if the 2 struts on the nose are still attached; I can do a full power roll with the boosters still attached and it doesn\'t flop on this end..

Tweaked the SSMEs again, and also tweaked the main energia-style quad. Also blacked out the back of the engine mount, so things look a little better to me.

zCwL0.png

This pack has been absolutely amazing since the update and has allowed me to perform my first runway landing, my only gripes with it are the lack of landing gear on the Buran and how the NASA Orbiter seems to control very finicky in upper atmo while the tank is still connected, more than a few times it\'s caused me to go into an accidental spin that I can\'t get out of.

Yes, it\'s happen frequently with my shuttles.... Remember one time i was designing one, SRB separate... and spinspinspinspinspinCRASH.

When you release your boosters where is the shuttle in relation to the tank?

If you have a NASA style shuttle I think you want to pitch so that the tank is above the shuttle.

If it is a Buran style launch I think you want the shuttle on top.

I think there is something to do with the centre of mass and the offset thrust provided by the engine... Otherwise personal experience has just resulted in this...

If you\'re building one from scratch, it can take some trial and error; even the placement of the SRB and tank decouplers affect the thrust balance; On mine they are almost as low as possible; The reasoning is that the closer the Center of Gravity is to the engines, the less rotational torque they apply (via the lever mechanic, where a rotation applied on the end of an 'arm' is multiplied)

You can usually tell how balanced your thrust is right after liftoff; If it will fly fairly vertical with minimal control input then it should be fairly stable up to orbit; if it takes ASAS or a lot of \'stick\' to hold it vertical then its likely to lose control as you use fuel.

If you fly the NASA and Buran, you\'ll notice the Buran launcher is slightly less stable, it tends to pitch a little more with ASAS (like when performing your heads-down roll) and right before the boosters burn out it starts to lose balance (but corrects itself as soon as the boosters jettison) - You can solve that by throttling back slightly until they burn out.

I\'m new here, so I probably missed where this question was answered before, but how do you close the shuttle bay doors on the cargo shuttle? Are they supposed to remain open?

You click V to open and close them.

During launch, or in space?

During launch you\'ll probably want ASAS or a flight computer to help you hold course, though it can be done manually with practice (and perhaps a little balance tweaking of your build if you built your own)

If you meant in space, well.. yeah, RCS and the orbital engines are pretty much the only way to maneuver.

They\'re separate objects within the DAE, so you just make sure you move the whole object (including its pivot point) into the right position, and make sure all unnecessary rotation and scaling is applied down to the mesh. I think you use blender, so you go to Object mode, select the doors and hit Ctrl+A to appliy scale and rotation, and that should do it.

They\'re separate objects within the DAE, so you just make sure you move the whole object (including its pivot point) into the right position, and make sure all unnecessary rotation and scaling is applied down to the mesh. I think you use blender, so you go to Object mode, select the doors and hit Ctrl+A to appliy scale and rotation, and that should do it.

That did the trick, and I didn\'t even know about the pivot point. Was wondering why my doors were rotating oddly.

• 2 weeks later...

Well if 0.15 includes the proper tools, I certainly will; the problem with the Buran is that it doesn\'t have anyplace to attach the rear wheels to without those wingtanks. Tried to use hardpoints, but it didn\'t look right.

It is unknown what spaceplane features will make it into the 0.15 update.. so we\'ll see.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.