Kerbin City Community Project - Phase B - New Islands

nothke

Looks like that North Korean concrete hotel

http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibtimes.com/files/styles/picture_this/public/2012/02/10/229597-ryugyong-hotel.jpg

btw, now that I've imported everyone's plots, I've gotta say it looks... wow! It filled up suddenly =)

It would have the steel/glass type exterior like on the Burj Khalifa. It fits in a standard 360x360 plot, if anyone wants to put it in theirs.

Also, can we have a screenshot of the new city?

It would have the steel/glass type exterior like on the Burj Khalifa. It fits in a standard 360x360 plot, if anyone wants to put it in theirs.

Also, can we have a screenshot of the new city?

Have you seen how the Korean hotel looks finished?

hotel_2352297b.jpg

xD

Like something straight from Kerbin City =P

The island looks good, but many people will have to redesign their buildings cause the scale is inconsistent. I mean, the buildings are ginormous!! People didn't realize that 360x360m is A LOT, so they filled up the plot with just a few buildings.

The island looks good, but many people will have to redesign their buildings cause the scale is inconsistent. I mean, the buildings are ginormous!! People didn't realize that 360x360m is A LOT, so they filled up the plot with just a few buildings.

I did exactly that. The scale of the buildings is correct against a Kerbal, but the buildings themselves are absolutely huge. Kerbals gotta have somewhere to live, so I made housing for an awful lot of them. If I do another plot somewhere it definitely won't be anywhere near the 360x360 size of this first one.

Have you seen how the Korean hotel looks finished?

-snip-

xD

Like something straight from Kerbin City =P

Yes, just like that, but without the little arm thingies.

Would you want to refine it more? You can add windows and replace the textures with the standard ones, if you can import it into Blender.

Maybe it could go in the commercial district. You said thay there was a contest for a skyscraper.

I did exactly that. The scale of the buildings is correct against a Kerbal, but the buildings themselves are absolutely huge. Kerbals gotta have somewhere to live, so I made housing for an awful lot of them. If I do another plot somewhere it definitely won't be anywhere near the 360x360 size of this first one.

Yeah, but you could've make them smaller but place more of them on the plot.

Take a look at this, this is a social housing 400x400 block in my city, notice how the buildings are big, but they look small on the giant plot. And they still provide accomodation for lots of people. Also notice how distant they are so people can "breathe" and have enough light. The little building with orange roof in the middle is school, so the whole residential block is self-contained in this one "plot". That's typical "modern" communist housing xD

k2EgsEh.jpg

You're totally free to rescale them to something that looks more appropriate. Filling up all that space was a challenge and I don't think I did a very good job of it! 360x360 with Kerbal scale is an awful lot of space.

My downtown-plot is ready!

Including the Empire Kerbin Building

and A lower one which is going to be rower'able :)

2SvhjU3.png

PS: I just triangulated it and the whole block has 284 Polygons, :cool:

but that count might rise to around 310-330 because I'm planning

on making a little Modern-Art-Monument in front of that smaller House.

Just some geometric bodies mixed together to form a little Ramp

for rovers to jump on the low roof and drive the building up! :D

Edited by Mettwurst

My downtown-plot is ready!

Including the Empire Kerbin Building

and A lower one which is going to be rower'able :)

- snip -

PS: I just triangulated it and the whole block has 284 Polygons, :cool:

but that count might rise to around 310-330 because I'm planning

on making a little Modern-Art-Monument in front of that smaller House.

Just some geometric bodies mixed together to form a little Ramp

for rovers to jump on the low roof and drive the building up! :D

Don't focus that much on polycount, you should make sure that one poly should be maximum 200mx200m cause if the collider is bigger then that the physics will be wonky. If some are bigger I will slice them in half (it won't damage the model, just divide polys xD). Rather focus on reducing materials as much as possible both in count and in size.

Don't focus that much on polycount, you should make sure that one poly should be maximum 200mx200m cause if the collider is bigger then that the physics will be wonky. If some are bigger I will slice them in half (it won't damage the model, just divide polys xD). Rather focus on reducing materials as much as possible both in count and in size.

Roger! I'll keep that in Mind in my next building :) Those are relatively small, from the bottom to the Antenna the highest one only messures 148m.

Could someone just post pictures of skyscraper textures? Because i'm downloading sketchup right now so i can create a Kjolsen Aerospace administration building.

http://www.cgtextures.com Take a look at that Website, it has many great textures,

and when you make a free account you can download 15mb (doesn't sound like a lot, but when thinking about the size of the textures we use for the buildings (512x512) thats a lot!

Also you might get Gimp if you don't allready got it! Its a nice free alternative to photoshop with lots of tutorials!

Also, i saw a russian thread and they are trying to re-create Baikonur.

Maybe we should cooperate with them?

I personally don't think so, because Kerbin City is more about the Community and the Creativity coming from it! :)

But I would be grateful if you might post a link to it?

(How well does Google Translate work with Russian?)

Here:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I'll have the same house but colored differently, as well as maybe two or three really posh mansions, all arranged with gardens, fences, roads between them, signs, benches, lamps, etc.

Most of these textures are from CGTextures, thanks to whoever spoke about it first. It really does help.

Nah its not bad, its just not how Russians would normally phrase stuff and odd word choices on googles part. Like I said its good enough to get the point across, it is no offense ;)

Ohh, what a huge Misunderstading... :)

I though I had sad something offensive and lost some "sympathy"-points :D :D

How about we make a aerial flight mission using a Mission Editor where you have to fly to Kerbin City from KSC, pick up new Astronaut Recruits and/or a payload (Rocket Fuel, new parts, etc...), and bring it all back to KSC? Maybe it would include disembarking from the plane and driving around the City in a Truck/UAZ/Bus?