Kerbin City Community Project - Phase B - New Islands

nothke

Just my opinion, by I would make the blue glasspanels less saturated, like Bobcats Buildings. Dunno why, but they are easier to look at :)

Ok, thanks for your opinion. These buildings are just a placeholder to make the city more interesting until it is filled up by the official buildings, also my modeling and texturing abilities are pretty bad.

Over 600 single surfaces i have to stack to get the most resolution out off the texture! :0.0

Good luck! It will be something like for me, when it comes time to make my own building- even if I do make a simpler thing than the original design..

Is nice to see another old fashioned style thing going in.

Ok, thanks for your opinion. These buildings are just a placeholder to make the city more interesting until it is filled up by the official buildings, also my modeling and texturing abilities are pretty bad.

Are you down for an official building as well? I haven't used your buildings myself, but some of them don't look too bad. You could cull the rest, and work on your best ones for possible inclusion, subject to Nothke's approval.

Also, Nothke, have you looked at the model node things that were added when they changed the way things load? As buildings often use repeated sections, it could be possible to only store the sections needed, and assemble the thing in the CFG.

But that would mean lots of separate files, as well as a lot of text editing, and I don't know if it would be worth it in turms memory and speed in the long run.

Edited by Tw1

Are you down for an official building as well? I haven't used your buildings myself, but some of them don't look too bad. You could cull the rest, and work on your best ones for possible inclusion, subject to Nothke's approval.

No, I don't have a plot on eastern island, might try to get one on the next island.

Daddy is proud! :D But i have still have some work with the texture,

need a better UV-Map so the resolution at the columns is higher and I havent startet the courtyard walls,

the flanks and the lower floor.

but so far i'm pretty satisfied how it turned out! :)

MBkZtFK.png

Daddy is proud! :D But i have still have some work with the texture,

need a better UV-Map so the resolution at the columns is higher and I havent startet the courtyard walls,

the flanks and the lower floor.

but so far i'm pretty satisfied how it turned out! :)

MBkZtFK.png

Needs a landing pad.

So, I decided to spend a lot more time then I usually do on my buildings and made one the best that I can. What do you think? Better then my other ones?

Yes! The texture is great, now it looks much more realistic! :)

Btw: how high are those Skyscrapers in general? I have some idead for some to! :)

Needs a landing pad.

yeah, I though about that too, but the usable area on the roof is pretty limited (the tower being an obstacle),

so only a small one would fit well without looking to much out of place :huh:

But I quickly mocked one up on the roof.

This one has a diameter of 12m and is the absolute maximum, but going smaller would be better :wink:

Problem is that I'm not a Vtol-guy (I tend crashing them 30m from the runway) so I dont have any reference how big Helipads need to be in KSP.

Anyone with some tips regarding the size? :confused:

OsClXIl.png

PS: I stripped the polygons down some more (2406) and added some more detail at the entrance area,

including foundation for the pillars and a less steep (and prettier) ramp to the entrance, better for your presidential rovers! :wink:

Edited by Mettwurst

PS: I stripped the polygons down some more (2406) and added some more detail at the entrance area,

including foundation for the pillars and a less steep (and prettier) ramp to the entrance, better for your presidential rovers! :wink:

Really? only 2406 polygons? But your model looks pretty detailed. What program do you use?

Really? only 2406 polygons? But your model looks pretty detailed. What program do you use?

Wings3d really fast to learn but with limited functionality (f.e. no stock boolean).

Blender had a to high "entrance hurdle" for me, so I searched for a more intuitive way :wink:

btw: I love your Vostok!

CG Textures is a great free resource for building textures. Might help with making some of these buildings looking a bit more detailed/varied.

Wow, thanks for that! This is going to make things much easier!

Specially the Window-section will be great at making some of those oldschool-skysrapers :)

Wow, thanks for that! This is going to make things much easier!

Specially the Window-section will be great at making some of those oldschool-skysrapers :)

This is very famous site. Where did you find textures before? =D

Wings3d really fast to learn but with limited functionality (f.e. no stock boolean).

Blender had a to high "entrance hurdle" for me, so I searched for a more intuitive way :wink:

You should avoid boolean when mesh modeling (for games) as much as possible. It makes a lot of mess. Instead, if you want to for example "dig" windows, you should cut up the face and extrude (I mean... INtrude xD) the cut faces. If you really need to use it, then you should correct the edges afterwards.

And please Justin, if you want your buildings to look any good, correct your normals (smoothing) so that the boxes don't try to round themselves out: http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?61087-Smoothing-groups-mini-tut

CG Textures is a great free resource for building textures. Might help with making some of these buildings looking a bit more detailed/varied.

CG Textures is good until you start noticing the similar textures in different games / mods xD Cause they have a free-to-profit-on licence on them anyone could use them in their commercial software. (I'm not saying I don't use them almost everywhere xD)

Guys, do you know when will be release of the second build of the add-on?

From my side I am left to connect the airport and the Eastern island with the expressway properly, it is there, but I need to meticulously join the two roads so that you don't feel the joint. The airport terminal's exterior is complete, the narrows bridge is complete, and the only thing left is to place the new plots on the Eastern island (there will be 3 or 4 new ones)

Edited by nothke

From my side I am left to connect the airport and the Eastern island with the expressway properly, it is there, but I need to meticulously join the two roads so that you don't feel the joint. The airport terminal's exterior is complete, the narrows bridge is complete, and the only thing left is to place the new plots on the Eastern island (there will be 3 or 4 new ones)

Great news, nothke!