Kerbin City Community Project - Phase B - New Islands

nothke

Transparent texture + alpha cutoff shader

Not the cutoff but the alpha translucency + specular shader

V1vooWU.jpg

that collection of pixels is a Kerbal xD it takes like 5 minutes to cross from one side of the terminal to other =( And look at that first floor, it'll need a 100 meter long stairs.

I am panicking right now. I can't change it cause I'd need to rework the windows, the curves, and worst.. The access road =( it took me a week to get all this and now I see it's actually unusable.

Is it possible yet to implement lights that turn on at night or the model switching its texture at night (windows etc.)

would be great for some Advertisement-panels!

]http://i.imgur.com/W4qWHHu.png

(made this one in 20 Minutes :) 62 polygons)

I already have modular billboard structures that I'll spread across the city. It is possible to make it turn on the lights in the night but I am not yet sure if the emmisive texture or actual unity lights are a better method. Rareden will provide some nice advertisements for them =)

Edited by nothke

Tell us!!!

I asked them, they didn't reply. I asked them when I was doing the lights for PAPI plugin

EDIT: Bac9 replied now =) It's nothing special really, it doesn't involve billboarding as I previously thought. It's just several planes intersecting with an emissive texture.

Courtesy of Bac9:

XpK8BSG.jpg

oqga7Q4.jpg

The lights on the beginning of the runway have the thick wide flare, but others don't, that's why those 2 lights look brighter, I thought they change with distance but actually they don't xD

http://i.imgur.com/SrjQJS9.png

Edited by nothke

V1vooWU.jpg

Well.. it dind't look THAT HUGE in the first picture :D

I am panicking right now. I can't change it cause I'd need to rework the windows, the curves, and worst.. The access road =( it took me a week to get all this and now I see it's actually unusable.

is it possible to make a plane cut at the building, separate it from the ground and then scale it down to fit the height and then cut it into seperate segments that you can tile so it fits again?

Sorry if i'm talking bull****, cause I don't know the workflow in the program you use..

IF you would like, you could send me the mesh? Then I could take a look how I might help!

I already have modular billboard structures that I'll spread across the city. It is possible to make it turn on the lights in the night but I am not yet sure if the emmisive texture or actual unity lights are a better method. Rareden will provide some nice advertisements for them =)

Cool, if you need some small props to spread across the city, tell me! :D

Bac9 replied now concerning the lights =) It's nothing special really, it doesn't involve billboarding as I previously thought. It's just several planes intersecting with an emissive texture.

Courtesy of Bac9:

XpK8BSG.jpg

oqga7Q4.jpg

The lights on the beginning of the runway have the thick wide flare, but others don't, that's why those 2 lights look brighter, I thought they change with distance but actually they don't xD

Hmm, I've hit a snag. Only some meshes are exporting in Blender. I don't know why some of them aren't doing so.

EDIT : Believe I've found the cause, had put two textures in one mesh. Blender lets you do it, but just Blender lol

Edited by TouhouTorpedo

First pics of testing the car park

VSWSKhj.png

2HKmqsz.png

It does seem fairly large but once you're using it, and driving around it, its probably about the right size. I might at most bring it down to maybe 90%, 80% at worst. Next step I guess is dump it in Kerbin City and see how it looks there, where it might fit, then look at adding some of the buildings I'd been working on. I may need to look at reducing the polys as well, its probably got a few too many (used the polygons as a trick to make shapes I wanted on the floor without new textures, but probably too many)

Also Nothke I'm moving forward with it but as a word of warning Unity importer doesn't like the DAE file its exporting, so its probably going to be a pile of OBJ files instead for each different texture. (with the same origin for each so they'll just overlap no fuss)

I think this could be used for KSPRP so for realism players can actually launch their rockets from their actual space centers.

Nah. Thats something you'd do with Kerbtown itself rather than this. Certainly dont want to launch rockets in Cities.

Not the cutoff but the alpha translucency + specular shader

V1vooWU.jpg

that collection of pixels is a Kerbal xD it takes like 5 minutes to cross from one side of the terminal to other =( And look at that first floor, it'll need a 100 meter long stairs.

That actually looks roughly the same size as Newark International. Maybe a bit tall. I wonder whether Kerbtown's animation system allows for escalators?

Wow! This really looks great! Keep it up!

...you spoilered you own easter egg?

its not much of an easter egg now is it lol

Lol, yeah, you screwed it up for US now =( BTW, there are already a few Easter eggs in KC, but there will be more in build 2.

Edited by nothke

Wow, so much activity here all of a sudden!

Terminal hall:

-snip-

Looking pretty awesome, I like the shape.! It's not possible to rescale vertically, and tweak it a bit, without ruining the whole thing?? Or perhaps we need some escalators and travelators.

Is that transparent texture something that could be shared? It'd be great to use on the station.

Shadows are awesome! You can do a lot with just light and shadows. I had a lecture or two last year, only about use of light and shadow.

Main island have free plot or mission building? Wind generator, Atomic station, somthing else ?

Perhaps, some sort of Opera House?

Sydney-Opera-House-Quiz.jpg

As long as it's not an obvious rip off of this, it'd be cool. You could use some other shape, rather than the sails. Or something.

Edited by Tw1

Bac9 replied now concerning the lights =) It's nothing special really, it doesn't involve billboarding as I previously thought. It's just several planes intersecting with an emissive texture.

Courtesy of Bac9:

XpK8BSG.jpg

oqga7Q4.jpg

Great news, but where is the emission shader in unity???) Anyway, can you ask him about creating ladders on the building??