MechJeb 2 - Patch test bed release (October 10)

sarbian

Ah yes. You can tell if it's going to do this before you launch (thanks to AbuMaia for pointing this out): when you hit Engage Autopilot but before you ignite the engines, you'll see the controls in the lower-left corner peg your roll meter instead of leaving it more or less centered. When you see that, before igniting your engines, open Smart A.S.S if it isn't already open. It will probably say "OFF", but switch it to some other setting (e.g. "KILL ROT"), then switch it back to "OFF". When it switches back to "OFF", your roll control should revert to center, and then you can launch normally.

Thank you for that

I am back !

A quick release

October 10 (2.0.13283.1844)

Removed the previous patch that disabled module on Undocking. I ll think of a better implementation

BloodyRain2k : fixed the problem where the stage calculation assumed all engines of the current stage to be on

BloodyRain2k : patch to the node planner

This will be most likely be the last release in this thread. r4m0n is back and some of the change of "my" version my be merged.

However I still have to read the last month of post, so I may pull an other release to test fix.

It works fine for me, I just did 3 docking test with translation. Something on your ship most trick MJ2 into thinking it can't translate.

Can you post more picture of the ship, without all the windows open ( and in the sunlight )

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=184925615 "Pravilo Control System" from kosmos provides MechJeb (also tested with "Bill 9000 Control Interface"). Also my gamedata content http://imgur.com/wsj4ceY

I also tried such thing (with AR202) http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=184930571 That dT is NaN are occurring after i click somewhere.

Edited by trvtannenberg

Did something change in the landing autopilot or in how MJ applies the torque available? I've had multiple ships start flipping out on final approach which were landing just fine with the previous release. In each case, when they tried to kill horizontal velocity, they began spinning out of control and crashed.

Welcome back!

This will be most likely be the last release in this thread. r4m0n is back and some of the change of "my" version my be merged.

I hope most/all of them are... your have a very good version here. But is he really back?

Are the 4 RCS bloc on the RCS tank the only one ? I can t see anything else. If so you can't translate with that, you need RCS on both side of the CoM.

On this craft also translating not works http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/542973904257363395/78E10C92C3C4041237212130FE274F0344B14FB7/

Edited by trvtannenberg

sorry to repeat myself but are you SURE you turned off 'Conserve RCS Fuel'? Because its not in any menu by default, you have to use 'Custom Window Editor' to add the option to conserve.

Also it has to be disabled every time you try to dock. The symptoms of not disabling it are that it will say it is moving at 0.0 m/s in the Docking Autopilot

Is r4m0n really back? Haven't seen him post anything since the one post in his thread a few weeks ago.

He's been quite active on IRC, and he's been pushing dev builds out as well, starting to incorporate the changes in this branch too.

He's pushed out six dev builds since Sarbian got back, and it looks like almost entirely changes that are in Testbed.

He's pushed out six dev builds since Sarbian got back, and it looks like almost entirely changes that are in Testbed.

hehe if he's pushing them out that fast I think I will just be patient and wait till the majority of the pushing eases off a little otherwise I would be updating all the time LOL

He's been quite active on IRC, and he's been pushing dev builds out as well, starting to incorporate the changes in this branch too.

I concur, since I did it :P

All the change of this thread (and more) are now in the dev version of MJ2. So time to move to the official thread.

Hmmm, encounter new problem with autostaging..... i strapped the energia 1st stage booster from Kosmos pack to my rocket, and when it ran out of fuel...it didn't decoupled immediately, it decouple after 1-2 sec delay.... anyone encounter this too?

Shot5282.jpg

It's because the Energia boosters have too much oxidizer. The ratio of oxidizer to fuel is off and that means mech jeb wants to spend the extra bit of oxidizer before jettisoning it.

I'd like to see MechJeb able to do launch control more like how real rockets launch.

They light the engines a few seconds before releasing the clamps. That way full thrust is on and the force is already pushing up. The release is fairly gentle, like holding onto the skids on an RC helicopter at full throttle VS having the rotor stopped then dropping it and pegging the throttle at the same instant.

The way MechJeb launches, the rocket is under gravitational acceleration *downwards* at the same instant the engines light. That puts huge stresses on the vehicle. Hold the clamps until the engines are on and the rocket just goes up like a balloon.

If all the clamps would have to be in the second stage up from the bottom, not a problem. Have a section of Ascent where you can check Launch Control: Delay release by {number box} seconds. If there's anything besides launch clamps in that stage then pop a warning that Launch Control requires only launch clamps in that stage.

When I first started using MechJeb I had to reinforce some rockets that were fine with manual control run that way. Can still do it by doing a manual throttle up, ignition then release then engaging the autopilot but I'd prefer it to be automated.

Even with such a control those dratted brutal Mainsails could still be a problem. ;) I've taken to setting action groups to lock their gimbals. Seems to help keep them from ripping things apart*. So does locking the gimbals on the central engines on any rocket. I have some that just have a single Skipper in the middle with various others wrapped around asparagus style and locking the gimbal on just that one engine stabilizes the whole thing.

Apparently it helps MechJeb a lot to have a central thrust vector that's not wobbling about.

*I lost track of how many fails I had with a 4x orange tank and mainsail booster, under a jumbo-ized 1 to 4 Rockomax adapter. The only way I found to keep it together was to surround it with 8 more orange tanks with Skippers and lots of struts and lock the Mainsails gimbals, then asparagus stage. When the first skippers drop, there's still enough struts keeping things together. By the time the second pair drops the altitude is high enough and MJ has backed off the throttle enough that the big engines won't start popping struts.

Once I solved its self-shredding problem so it could get a big Kethane scanner to Minmus, it also got used as my reliable booster to lift my Kethane mining rovers to Mun and Minmus. (Getting the rover full of Kethane back up off Mun, a less successful venture...)

Here's all the files in my VAB folder right now. http://partsbyemc.com/pub/AARP-Kerbal-Space-rockets.zip Includes a notes file on the mods I have installed. Doesn't mention the Squad stock textures redux but that has no effect on the game other than slashing the memory use by about 300 megabytes so it doesn't crash any more often than vanilla KSP. MechJeb is integrated into the stock command pods so if you don't have any MJ or are also using it integrated the craft files will still work.

Edited by Galane

I'd like to see MechJeb able to do launch control more like how real rockets launch.

They light the engines a few seconds before releasing the clamps. That way full thrust is on and the force is already pushing up.

What you're really asking for is for MJ to handle the clamps. the rest is up to you to set up through staging.

this is how I launch.

liquids at bottom stage. clamps + solids if any on the stage above

I stage to activate liquid engines

I engage mechjeb (optionally I use rendezvous feature then engage)

I stage again to release once engines Re at full power.

It's because the Energia boosters have too much oxidizer. The ratio of oxidizer to fuel is off and that means mech jeb wants to spend the extra bit of oxidizer before jettisoning it.

arrr ok. Thanks for pointing it out. To bad i dumped the Energia boosters, because KWR beat it :D

You can also set how many seconds before MechJeb goes to each stage. You can set up a prelaunch procedure. I've see a few people use aesthetic stuff to make it looks like it's about to launch.

BTW, I was using the MechJeb 2.0.9 from the other thread and now going to try this version to see if same issue. I ran into this problem with the Spaceplane Autoland: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/53848-Possible-MechJeb-2-0-9-Spaceplane-Autoland-Issue-in-0-22-Suggestion

Edited by Nostromo