Increasing the 2.5km physic sphere

Well if they do, I hope they make it configurable!! I for one would love to make it smaller! Some of my mega-builds need not render, nor engage physics, if I'm translating by to another craft! Watching sudden explosions on the horizon is a bit dis-heartening! :P

• 7 months later...

The 2.5 km is not "physics sphere", it is a distance threshold. And theoretically nothing stands in the way for the game to keep selected ships in physics while leaving other ships on rails regardless of distance.

Now, I wrote "theoretically" and I mean it. Because the important question is what "shortcuts" are there that might have unwanted effects on ships in physics which are very distant and in significantly different conditions. Space Kraken related bugs are the simplest thing coming on mind.

Assuming there is no such problem, the simplest thing the game could do is to prevent switching a ship to on-rails mode due to distance if it is in atmosphere, not landed or splashed, and you're not trying to apply on-rails time warp.

This would mean anything you decouple during ascent or descent would get full physics simulation all the way to surface unless you apply time warp in which case it would switch to on-rails behavior as usual.

Edited by Kasuha

Assuming there is no such problem, the simplest thing the game could do is to prevent switching a ship to on-rails mode due to distance if it is in atmosphere, not landed or splashed, and you're not trying to apply on-rails time warp.

This would mean anything you decouple during ascent or descent would get full physics simulation all the way to surface unless you apply time warp in which case it would switch to on-rails behavior as usual.

That's pretty much exactly why I'd want to change it. It would mean thinks like recycling spent stages using chutes for Mission Controller, dropping payloads out of planes, and even rendezvous with airships becomes more viable.

It would also mean impactor asteroids don't simply vanish or pass through Kerbin. The idea of watching an asteroid blaze through the sky from the ground is appealing!

Edited by colmo

• 2 months later...

Personally I would like to see an extended area with "shortcut" physics that only simulate the center of mass and direction the item is facing.

The other thing is if each craft is treated as it's own "physics layer" it would be far easier to simulate multiple craft for a longer distance, but disregard debris outside that range if physics start to slow down.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.